By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let's make #PS4freeonlineplay

Max King of the Wild said:
concede this one guys. Its not just online play anymore. The file sharing and features will drastically increase cost for sony that they need to make somewhere

If they make those new features require a subscription I don't see how they need to require online multiplayer to be pay walled. Those features can be pay services. What they shouldn't be doing is removing a free feature from the basic level. I still encourage everyone to get PS+ and for all I care there could be no PSN users who don't have Plus, online multiplayer should still be free.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
Chark said:
o_O.Q said:
uh thats the thing... you're assuming that the adoption rate for ps plus is fast enough to overcome other loses

but your assumption may not line up with reality especially considering all the new features they're implementing in the network

I am also assuming those new feature are subscription required.

i'm not really sure what you're saying here honestly...

Kantor said:
I was upset too, at first. But look at it this way: Sony is not doing well financially. They're certainly not making a huge profit on the PS4 if they are making one at all. At the same time, PS+ is a great service, and it's honestly worth it with or without online multiplayer. As Tretton said, it has 95% satisfaction.

If this move can get their PS+ penetration up and earn them some more money to invest into the platform and online infrastructure, maybe it's not all that bad. It won't affect you, me or most of the people on this site, who are already subscribers, and it's an incentive for others to sign up.

My only problem would be if they start to weaken the PS+ service with the PS4. But if it stays like it is now, it's not ideal, but this isn't an ideal world and I have trouble really being angry about it.

PSN plus is a great service on PS3. It won't be the same on PS4. There are simply no games to give away for free, unless they want to canabalize the sales of their 1st party titles. They should at least make it cheaper than LIVE.

Chark said:
zuvuyeay said:
did you pay quite a bit upfront then by the looks of 2015

They give out a lot of free months with some games, also some nice discounts on purchasing a full year sometimes. I took advantage.

do those free months work,i missed a deadline because never opened hitman for ages when i bought it cheap last year,i thought if you were already a member it wouldn't give you the trial

ot i think microsoft have gone for an online gen in regarding tech and sony probably know they have to go there too but publishers need to factor in online costs into their budgets don't they

Above & Beyond

o_O.Q said:
Chark said:
o_O.Q said:
uh thats the thing... you're assuming that the adoption rate for ps plus is fast enough to overcome other loses

but your assumption may not line up with reality especially considering all the new features they're implementing in the network

I am also assuming those new feature are subscription required.

i'm not really sure what you're saying here honestly...

The new features aren't going to be bogged down by free riders because those will require a subscription. Sony should keep their basic level stuff the same as it is with the PS3, as a standard. Including online multiplayer. Will the experience be better with PS+, of course, but it is far better for the consumer that Sony will have to work hard to attract subscribers.

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
Kantor said:
I was upset too, at first. But look at it this way: Sony is not doing well financially. They're certainly not making a huge profit on the PS4 if they are making one at all. At the same time, PS+ is a great service, and it's honestly worth it with or without online multiplayer. As Tretton said, it has 95% satisfaction.

If this move can get their PS+ penetration up and earn them some more money to invest into the platform and online infrastructure, maybe it's not all that bad. It won't affect you, me or most of the people on this site, who are already subscribers, and it's an incentive for others to sign up.

My only problem would be if they start to weaken the PS+ service with the PS4. But if it stays like it is now, it's not ideal, but this isn't an ideal world and I have trouble really being angry about it.

PSN plus is a great service on PS3. It won't be the same on PS4. There are simply no games to give away for free, unless they want to canabalize the sales of their 1st party titles. They should at least make it cheaper than LIVE.

I'm thinking that once Gaikai is up and running, that could be tied together with PS+. But I agree, it's looking a little bit weak at launch if their selling point is DriveClub.

But then consoles are generally weak at launch anyway.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

sniper989 said:
no

making PS+ mandatory for online gaming is a brilliant idea

You are probably joking or being an idiot. No?

This user has been moderated by axumblade

zuvuyeay said:
Chark said:
zuvuyeay said:
did you pay quite a bit upfront then by the looks of 2015

They give out a lot of free months with some games, also some nice discounts on purchasing a full year sometimes. I took advantage.

do those free months work,i missed a deadline because never opened hitman for ages when i bought it cheap last year,i thought if you were already a member it wouldn't give you the trial

ot i think microsoft have gone for an online gen in regarding tech and sony probably know they have to go there too but publishers need to factor in online costs into their budgets don't they

It depends on if its a trail or if its actual months.

..i'd probably care more if i wasn't already a ps+ member.

Lol, if people need the incentive of online multiplayer to get PS+ then that means they don't care for the rest of the features, and hence they become meaningless to them.

If they are meaningless Sony shouldn't invest much into it. If they are meaningful then people will get them by getting PS+. The basic online mp should have been kept free.

Keeping it otherwise will also create a chance for Sony to undervalue PS+ this gen. If they need that for selling PS+; why try anything else?