By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let's make #PS4freeonlineplay

im making a twitter just to follow this

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
TruckOSaurus said:
I've gotta find the thread from not too long ago where the Sony camp ranted about Xbox Live. How fast things change.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=155395&page=1#

Already had a bit of fun on the last page.  I think the OP here figures strongly.

Thanks , this will make for good reading tonight!

Signature goes here!

Chark said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Wright said:

I payed once, ONCE for Xbox Live Gold, and that was one year to play Gears of War 3. I've always said that it is a rip-off. It's the same with Sony, no matter how they want to justify the value of PS+.

If it were just online play I would completely agree. I played counterstrike for free years and years ago online. However, with services like Gakai and the share features being heavily integrated in that online play then I really don't see how they cannot charge for that

You don't think they could restrict those features to Plus members only?

I think they did not want to segment the online community like that. Unable to do chat with non-PS+ members? Unable to share or view videos? Non-PS+ members would be able to do what exactly? Play 'online' in black box unable to communicate with anyone else online probably. Then non-PS+ members would complain that they can't communicate with PS+ members.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Byebye online gaming for me :(

hopefully sony includes a period of ps+ like they are doing for the ps3

Around the Network
papamudd said:
@Dmick

You can still access all the multimedia features with out the pay wall, which you can't do on the 360. Also anyone with half a brain would know how awesome PS+ has been since launch and already have it. Also there actually providing an online service now in regards to X-game Chat + where people can actually watch you online while you play and talk to you about what you are doing in game live. So they are actually providing a service relevant to online play as compared to previous gen that didn't have such capabilities, or in the 360 case provide any real service.

It doesn't matter how you want to spin this. You want to play (Because that's what you people like to say. This is gaming, the rest is pure cometic), then pay. Simple as that. The rest is a bonus, but people want to play, and now Sony is forcing them to pay.

I approve this message, and have been spreading around this #PS4FreeOnlinePlay thing myself. (Hello everyone, nice to meet you)

All the new services, charge for them, gaikai, streaming demos, even share button, plus all the old perks. To many gamers, myself included, online play is a basic feature, like having two controllers in the same room and playing against a friend. This is a basic feature of having a connected device with games on it, anything from a cell phone, to a pc, to a ps3. This is why you pay for the device, the game, and the internet connection. Paying again for online is akin to a toll being collected by toyota every time I drive on a highway. Because of my work schedule, I find myself unable to play most of the time, and I do most of my online play on my pc. It's a rare treat to curl up on the couch, and call an old friend on the phone to play Mortal Kombat 9, or Little Big Planet 2. Now in order to do that I need to pay $5? It's unfair, and as others have said, it's remarkable how much of a complete 180 I've seen from 99% of the fanbase.

Aside from all that, how much harm can come from the campaign? If it's impossible logistically, Sony will ignore it, and nothing's changed. If it isn't, we all win, including Sony, who has yet another blow against MS - and I can't be alone in thinking that such a move would guarantee I'd be a plus subscriber, as opposed to skipping the console completely. When they tried to pull this on Windows with Games for Windows Live, it was shut down by gamers and complaints amazingly quick. Just because you love Sony, and they didn't screw us with the DRM, it doesn't mean you have to roll over at anything they say regardless of whether it was against your principles just hours before you realized it was happening on your console of choice.

Lol at the Xbox boys here. I don't know where do you see the sheep changing opinions with the wind (Dmick) or suddenly paying for online isn't a bad thing (Wright) because this thread was made because, we Sony fans are not embracing it with joy, wanting to pay even more. Save for like 3-4 posts, people are either upset, or give good, legit reasons why they are fine with paying.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Nah I'm always on Plus and so should everyone, paying for online with plus doesn't effect me and besides I don't play online much as it is.

Kantor said:
I was upset too, at first. But look at it this way: Sony is not doing well financially. They're certainly not making a huge profit on the PS4 if they are making one at all. At the same time, PS+ is a great service, and it's honestly worth it with or without online multiplayer. As Tretton said, it has 95% satisfaction.

If this move can get their PS+ penetration up and earn them some more money to invest into the platform and online infrastructure, maybe it's not all that bad. It won't affect you, me or most of the people on this site, who are already subscribers, and it's an incentive for others to sign up.

My only problem would be if they start to weaken the PS+ service with the PS4. But if it stays like it is now, it's not ideal, but this isn't an ideal world and I have trouble really being angry about it.

I agree. The bolded is a concern. They've tried awfully hard to make PS+ as appealing as possible, and I've been incredibly happy with it. But will they still be as motivated to make it such a great service once it becomes basically mandatory?

This won't affect me in the short term, but if PS+ goes to shit because of this I will bitch slap my PS4.