By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Details: Clarification for the Haters

Are you happy with Microsoft's (and mine) clarifications?

Yes, no longer worried at all! 43 7.88%

Somewhat happy, but still could be better. 49 8.97%

Somewhat not happy, I ren... 37 6.78%

No, I still think Microsoft is evil! 417 76.37%

Total:546
Machiavellian said:
Sensei said:
Machiavellian said:
Sensei said:

Being critical of what MS is doing is not being a hater.

I'm still not happy. Not happy at all, specially if this clusterfuck of a shitty business forces Sony to do the same.

It's a bunch of RESTRICTIONS and you guys are defending them as if they were ok. They are not.

Btw, cloud processing is the new 'blast processing': IOW, bullshit.

Why would MS actions force Sony to go the same route.  If Sony goes the route MS is going it means they have decided this is the future or this is an agreement they have made to content provides in order to put content on their machine.  

The difference between MS could processing is that they have put 14 Billion dollars into it.  Meaning that MS has a monetary commitment to making it work or at least giving putting in a lot of effort to make it viable for their system.  You can think of MS cloud processing like Kinect.  Whether you hate Kinect or not, MS is willing to put huge money to make the device live up to its promise.  MS will make the same commitment to cloud processing.  They already have the servers, the Orleans platform gives them the software and they have at least one company who will be the proof of concept which Respawn new game.

Why would it force Sony? Easy answer, big greedy publishers could side with the most DRM-pro console and not support the other. It's an easy answer, really. In order to not lose third party support, the console maker has no choice but to add DRM too. Of course this could happen to Sony.

14 billion or not, I still think it is PR bullshit. All the tech-savvy guys over the Internet are stating that it is physically impossible with our current Internet speeds. MS is using this PR stunt to hide the lack of power of Xbone compared to PS4, and of course and more importantly, to justify people being online all the time.

Even if this cloud processing stuff were awesome and for real, it would still require 100% online, fast connection for all games using the feature. 

Why would it force Sony? Easy answer, big greedy publishers could side with the most DRM-pro console and not support the other. It's an easy answer, really. In order to not lose third party support, the console maker has no choice but to add DRM too. Of course this could happen to Sony.

Its easy to call publishers greedy but in reality these are billion dollar companies who employ a lot of people who need to get paid.  Consumers are quick to call them greedy while they look for every means to not pay for a product.  There is a big double standard that goes on.  Consumers what publishers to give them the world but when asked to pay for it, get an attitude as if these companies are charities.[end rant]

If Sony want publishers support, they need to have a console that sell a lot.  Publishers go where the money is and thats not going to change.  If publishers are pushing for DRM and Sony hasn't already made this agreement a long time ago then they have enough evidence from MS flondering to go their own way.  The thing is, stuff like this isn't decided in a few months.  Either Sony was going down this route a long time ago or they are not but if that was the case I doubt we would still be waiting for an official response from Sony.

14 billion or not, I still think it is PR bullshit. All the tech-savvy guys over the Internet are stating that it is physically impossible with our current Internet speeds. MS is using this PR stunt to hide the lack of power of Xbone compared to PS4, and of course and more importantly, to justify people being online all the time.

The difference between PR BS is the proof.  One part Proof is if the company has actually paid the cost to actually do something.  The second is a product that actually can demostrate the PR.  We all can just call anything that a company does or say as PR BS without taking the time to do some research.  I have done the research because I like to check if what someone says is actually what it is (Political elections started me doing this in my 20s).  So for the first bit of proof, I was able to find the Orleans platform which shows how the software can provide this type of cloud compute.  Its a really complex system and i am looking to see how it works in a real world scenerio.  The second part of the proof is the Rumored Respawn game that is heavily using MS could compute.  Also we might see what Lionhead is doing with their MMO type of new game that also might be using MS could compute.

As to those tech savy people.  If you asked them if they have any clue on the technology MS is using to provide cloud compute what do you believe the answer is.  Have you heard from any developers saying this is PR BS.  In this OP, it states how much bandwidth you need which was 1.5mps which is basic DLS broadband.  The thing is, you are basing your info from internet posters who have no clue on the technology thats being used so they can only make uninformed opinions.  I on the other hand is willing to wait for the games before forming an opinion as it appears we might have some to prove the worth of the cloud during E3.

1.5mps "basic broadband" wouldn't be enough to cloud compute even PS3 games. I recommend you an interesting read DigitalFoundry has about MS Cloud (they are the same guys who nailed every Xbone and PS4 leaked specs):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming

Just a quote from the article:

"Average broadband speeds in the developed world struggle to reach over 8mbps as of Q3 last year - that's only one megabyte per second. This means that whatever cloud computing power is available, consoles will have available to them an average of 1MB/s a second of processed data. If we compare that to the sort of bandwidth consoles are used to, the DDR3 of Xbox One is rated at around 68,000MB/s, and even that wasn't enough for the console and had to be augmented with the ESRAM.

The PS4 memory system allocates around 20,000MB/s for the CPU of its total 176,000MB/s. The cloud can provide one twenty-thousandth of the data to the CPU that the PS4's system memory can. You may have an internet connection that's much better than 8mbps of course, but even superfast fibre-optic broadband at 50mbps equates to an anaemic 6MB/s. This represents a significant bottleneck to what can be processed on the cloud, and that's before upload speed is even considered. Upload speed is a small fraction of download speed, and this will greatly reduce how much information a job can send to the cloud to process. "

And this is how they end the article:

"Microsoft needs to prove its position with strong ideas and practical demonstrations. Until then, it's perhaps best not to get too carried away with the idea of a super-powered console, and there's very little evidence that Sony needs to be worried about its PS4 specs advantage being comprehensively wiped out by "the power of the cloud"."

Around the Network

I understand your concerns, but the fact of the matter is, is that the rest of us would rather stay behind and not adapt this new change on how we use/access our content (wether thats music, games, movies etc) if its going to compromise our consumer right to fully own said products. 

The rest of us would rather put up with the hassles of "yesteryear"(like plugging up the console, losing games, popping in a game/game doesn't work) than with the hassles of the Xbox 1. They're issues that we're still used to if it means that we still get to have 100% onwership/control like JWeinCom said (BTW nice read). Nothing coming from MS will entice me to get one so as long they follow these new retrictions. If people (who will follow this new change in gaming) can't even respect our opinions let alone accept our reasons why we won't abide to this new change, then you have no right to call us "haters."

nightsurge said:

The Cloud

• The Xbox One will heavily use the cloud in many areas. Some games will use it for boosted performance, and as a result will require internet access. Other features include the sharing of your games with family, the auto-updating of games and environments when you are not playing them, allowing access to your content from anywhere you want without the discs.
  • The Haters: My internet is not fast enough for that! The Cloud would require too much speed/bandwidth! Xbox One is done!
  • The Solution: Microsoft clarified that for optimal performance you only need internet speed of 1.5Mbps. This is more than acceptable and this is just for "Optimal" performance. Cellular 3G has speeds of 1.5-3.5Mbps, while 4G speeds can range from 10-50Mbps! The slowest DSL offerings are usually at 1.5-3.0Mbps as well. You will likely only need a very short amount of connection to do the daily "check". A quick 3G cell phone connection and you're on your way.

I'm sorry, but this "solution" is downright embarassing. 1.5 Mbps is so slow it could not be used to "cloud compute" even PlayStation 2 games.

Cloud processing is a lie, check my post above and look for the Digital Foundry article. I'll be generous enough to post the link again because I don't like to see people being lied to:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming

Microsoft just wants you to believe your games are being "improved by the cloud" while online, while in fact they only need you online nearly all the time for the DRM checks. Of course it only requires 1.5mbps, because it isn't cloud processing shit, it's just calling home for the DRM checks.

Wake up, people!!!

As pointed out before, the solution may be nifty and useful in terms of dealing with the restrictions, but we shouldn't be dealing with restrictions and compromising just for the benefit of Microsoft and publishers, I see nothing that we, the consumers stand to gain from these new measures. It's unnecessary anal that we shouldn't have to partake in just because we want to purchase a their platform instead of competitors.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

nightsurge said:
  • The Solution: Microsoft has clearly stated that you can use cellular internet access to do these checkins. I realize that there are still many people out there without internet or are in rural areas where it is harder to get. However, cellular broadband has made great gains and while it still won't cover everywhere, it will decrease this issue quite drastically. Also, this is something easily changed and it could be extended, for example, to 7 days, or 30 days.

Wonderful solution... for people in America.

But of course, the Xbox One wasn't designed with anybody else in mind, anyway. People in Australia, Europe, Japan, etc, aren't even a factor in Microsoft's considerations, this time around.

Around the Network
Sensei said:
Machiavellian said:

1.5mps "basic broadband" wouldn't be enough to cloud compute even PS3 games. I recommend you an interesting read DigitalFoundry has about MS Cloud (they are the same guys who nailed every Xbone and PS4 leaked specs):

"Average broadband speeds in the developed world struggle to reach over 8mbps as of Q3 last year - that's only one megabyte per second. This means that whatever cloud computing power is available, consoles will have available to them an average of 1MB/s a second of processed data. If we compare that to the sort of bandwidth consoles are used to, the DDR3 of Xbox One is rated at around 68,000MB/s, and even that wasn't enough for the console and had to be augmented with the ESRAM.

The PS4 memory system allocates around 20,000MB/s for the CPU of its total 176,000MB/s. The cloud can provide one twenty-thousandth of the data to the CPU that the PS4's system memory can. You may have an internet connection that's much better than 8mbps of course, but even superfast fibre-optic broadband at 50mbps equates to an anaemic 6MB/s. This represents a significant bottleneck to what can be processed on the cloud, and that's before upload speed is even considered. Upload speed is a small fraction of download speed, and this will greatly reduce how much information a job can send to the cloud to process. "

And this is how they end the article:

"Microsoft needs to prove its position with strong ideas and practical demonstrations. Until then, it's perhaps best not to get too carried away with the idea of a super-powered console, and there's very little evidence that Sony needs to be worried about its PS4 specs advantage being comprehensively wiped out by "the power of the cloud"."

The problem with using the Eurogamer article is that they do not know what MS requirements for cloud compute.  The do not know what type of data needs to be sent and what data is returned.  Without having this information the Eurogamer author can only conjecture based on his experience which from reading the article is nill.  First we would have to know what is sent by the client machine.  Is the data compressed and if so how much.  Also we would need to know what type of data is being sent.  Rendering, AI, Physics, vertices, you name it.

If MS has a copy of your game in the cloud, then basically only parameters would need to be sent.  MS cloud compute take in those parameters execute them using the cloud and send back the data.  This data can be highly compressed and process by the X1 APU because its designed to process compressed data (info from leaked document).  This is the advantage of MS cloud compute because it can run your code native to the cloud this alleviating the need to send a lot of data.  Do not forget that MS also have dedicated hardware for encoding meaning all of this can be done without having to use any of the APU processors to accomplish this task.  All of this can be done in parallel and thus allowing the APU to acquire this info as if it was cached by the native system.

There is a hundred different ways to skin this cat and get around the bandwidth and latency issue that the Eurogamer article does not cover because the person writing it is not a programmer.  Also the author of the Eurogamer article did not even ask developers what their opinion and if any are doing such work to get a more real world take on the issue.

The problem with this line of thought is that it presumes that cloud compute is pushing data into the CPU/GPU.  Instead cloud compute does all of the calculations ahead of when the CPU needs it and presents the data as a cache for the CPU/GPU to fetch when needed.  Its the whole purpose of cloud compute in the first place.  The data is there so the CPU and GPU does not have to calculate it and is fetched when needed.  MS already stated this even in the article but it appears the author did not understand the concept.

So basically the author states something we all came to the conclusion without him clouding the situation without throughly investigating the technology.  I totally agree with this point but then again its new tech an MS made a statement which means it will be something they will actively push.  So yes, they will have to prove their words.  The difference is that they do have the infrastructure, Platform in Orleans and it appears a few games that will show if they are talking nonsence.  Either way, the Eurogamer article I would not used as a reference because its very shallow.  Hell, the author did not even know what questions to ask MS when the chance was there.  Things like

What platform will you use for Cloud comute.  How dows this platform process information.  What type of info is sent from the client machien.  What is returned from the server.  How does the server leverage the cloud.  How is data processed, replicated etc.  There are so many questions that was not asked which could have solved a lot of confusion.

I think people like you are missing a major point about all of this... None of these should even be a problem to begin with. I shouldn't have to register my, repeat MY, games. I should be allowed to share them with anybody. I should have to log in to a service that costs extra $ if I don't wish to pay that extra $. I shouldn't have to worry about a camera being always on. I should be able to just buy video game console and use it for just that: to play video games. XB1 is a complete mess. It'll be nice as a cable box and that's about it. It might make watching TV (which I do very little of anyway) for me 0.5% easier... It sounds completely worthless at this point.

I'll give the best solution that I'm slowly coming to with this system: Don't buy the damn thing. There. All these problems solved right here and now.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

A lot of the world still struggles to get internet connections, or has costly bandwidth overcharges if you go over you allocated usage, This is especially true in country towns and rural area in Australia, I know a lot of uni students who can only afford 1 gig of internet a month and cant afford to have this thing always connected in case a user interface update is needed to play a new game for example, they would have to use their whole months quota just to update the system. The world is a big place, and the example i gave isn't even one of the more extreme ones.

JWeinCom said:

Mach said
You the game owner select 10 people on your Friends list.  On your Family or Friend console, it will add an encrypted code within the cloud that you are a family member.  Each time you play a game that is owned by a family member it verfiy your account in the cloud and give you access to play.  To get around everyone being a family member chain type of abuse.  The person you select will also have to select you as a family member and each family member you have selected.

Do you have a link to that?  From what I read, Microsoft did not detail that aspect.  What they said was "Xbox One will also allow you to give up to 10 family members access to "log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One." I would be surprised if it works as you said because I would abuse the **** out of that and Microsoft probably knows that I would.  

You cannot abuse the system I mentioned because you missed the last part.  In order to add someone as a family member, each family member must be the same on all consoles.  Meaning if you have setup 10 family members on your console and one is a friend.  On your friend console he would need to have added all nine of your family members as his family.  This would restrict people abusing the system.  Now if you had 10 buddies and you form a family, then you all can just pool in and purchase one game and share it amoug each other ;)

Mach said:  Well that is an issue but then it plays 2 ways.  Probably by default, the majority of publishers will go by what MS game studios do.  There probably will be special cases where they sell you a game for a huge discount like Steam did with Batman Origins.  Something of that sort they probably want to restrict because you are getting something for basically nothing.  On Steam, you can only play that game from your account and you cannot distribute, loan, Gift or allow another family member to play the game unless they use your account.  Giving publishers control should allow for better control of prices and publishers deals where they are assured that the people that do bad stuff will not take advantage of them.

And, publishers will also use that to prevent people who are doing legitimate stuff from doing what they wish with their games.

Depends on the publishers.  If its EA or Activision then you could have that scenerio but then if you do not buy their games, they will get the message.  The thing is, consumers what publishers to show them they have their best interest at heath but consumers need to do the same thing.  Small scale pirating and game swapping will not cause publishers to bring out the restrictions but if large scale stuff start to happen, what do you think they will or even should do.

Mach said: Interesting enough, neither did I until about 2 weeks ago.  Even at my job they are giving out smartphones because thats where the industry is going.  For someone like you who do not own a smartphone, I would be interested to see how long you hold out.  Anyway, without a smartphone then your choices are limited.

Which is kind of BS.  I actually do own a smartphone.  I never used the mobile hotspot feature, but I checked it out after Kilter's post.  It's not included in my data plan and I'd have to pay extra for that feature.  So, kind of a no go for me.

Interesting, I just got the Nokia phone for Verison and the hotspot is active without any additional money.  Someone mentioned that that they would need to pay more money for this feature on the Iphone.  I wonder if this is isolated to just the Iphone.

Mach said: If games are installed on the HDD and backed up on the cloud, how else do you think they could do this without someone installing the game, giving it to their friends and pretty much continue to do this forever.  In such a scenerio, a group of people would just pool their money together and purchase a game.  This would be great for consumers but sure would be giving it to the developers/publishers who spent millions.  Lets not act like there are not people in the world who would abuse such a system

Can't I already install games on my 360?  And if I install them, I need the disc to play them.  Seems simple enough.  If I want to access a copy stored on the Cloud, then I would need to check in with Microsoft to make sure I have proper rights to access the content.  Obviously, if I'm playing it on the Cloud or while I'm online in general, I don't have a problem with having to be online... since I'm online... And if I want to play offline, they could require the disc.  Seems simple enough.

Probelm with the 360 end is that CD checks are the easiet thing to break.  It was the first thing to be cracked on the 360 so as a means of protection, it would be the weakest link in the chain and easily exploitable.  I do not believe anyone even uses CD checks anymore besides consoles.

Oh and btw, nobody asked for mandatory installs.  I could see the advantage of OPTIONAL installs or cloud storage, but I don't see how forcing installs benefits anyone.

The full install is there because MS does not want to have a system that splits between streaming from the Blu-Ray or retrieving from the HDD.  I agree it should just be retrieve from the HDD because the Blu-Ray is the weakest part in the chain when needing data.   Having everything streamed from the HDD means MS can optimized streaming from a much faster source and standardize their API calls that way.  Case in point would be Halo 3 and a few other games when installed on the HDD.  Halo 3 actually performed slower when running from the HDD then the CD because its cache scheme was designed for the CD.  Many games do not see any real performance difference when installed from the HDD because the 360 was not designed that way.

Yunero said:
A lot of the world still struggles to get internet connections, or has costly bandwidth overcharges if you go over you allocated usage, This is especially true in country towns and rural area in Australia, I know a lot of uni students who can only afford 1 gig of internet a month and cant afford to have this thing always connected in case a user interface update is needed to play a new game for example, they would have to use their whole months quota just to update the system. The world is a big place, and the example i gave isn't even one of the more extreme ones.

I have relatives in rural Australia and their net is fine? I suppose without support though, it could be troubling for the uni students to pay for decent internet. Having said that, if they can't afford internet, they won't be buying a PS4 or an X1 for atleast the first few years until they get jobs, which then they can afford internet anyway?