By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Details: Clarification for the Haters

Are you happy with Microsoft's (and mine) clarifications?

Yes, no longer worried at all! 43 7.88%

Somewhat happy, but still could be better. 49 8.97%

Somewhat not happy, I ren... 37 6.78%

No, I still think Microsoft is evil! 417 76.37%

Total:546

Well I have no issues with these X1 policies. Why? Because my friends don't care if I don't let them borrow my games , plus I don't like loaning my games to anyone. I don't see friends getting angry either, only children give hissy fits if they can't play with other peoples toys. If I couldn't trade my games in, then I would have a huge problem with this console.

I'm currently at a Hotel which obviously has the most unreliable internet and all I would have to do is sign on into my X1 to verify. But wait since the console is always in standby mode downloading patches and system updates automatically, dosen't this include the 24hr check-up? So basically the only time the console wont allow games to be played is if your internet isn't working in the allotted time. Well all that's left for me to decide are the games on Monday. I definetely feel for the people who don't have internet at all. PS4 for you.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Yunero said:
A lot of the world still struggles to get internet connections, or has costly bandwidth overcharges if you go over you allocated usage, This is especially true in country towns and rural area in Australia, I know a lot of uni students who can only afford 1 gig of internet a month and cant afford to have this thing always connected in case a user interface update is needed to play a new game for example, they would have to use their whole months quota just to update the system. The world is a big place, and the example i gave isn't even one of the more extreme ones.

I have relatives in rural Australia and their net is fine? I suppose without support though, it could be troubling for the uni students to pay for decent internet. Having said that, if they can't afford internet, they won't be buying a PS4 or an X1 for atleast the first few years until they get jobs, which then they can afford internet anyway?

This is exactly my point though, simply having to have a decent amount of internet usage completely alienate some users, perhaps they COULD afford just the console, but maybe not that and the internet, depending on how much they set aside for luxuries, and as you said, it will stop them buying one for at least a few years. The reason I wont be buying on is that I live on campus and the campus internet cannot be connected to consoles, therefor I wouldnt be able to varify it, there are so many reasons that it would just be a lot easier to allow people to play offline don't you think?

iHollowxReaper said:

Well I have no issues with these X1 policies. Why? Because my friends don't care if I don't let them borrow my games , plus I don't like loaning my games to anyone. I don't see friends getting angry either, only children give hissy fits if they can't play with other peoples toys. If I couldn't trade my games in, then I would have a huge problem with this console.

I'm currently at a Hotel which obviously has the most unreliable internet and all I would have to do is sign on into my X1 to verify. But wait since the console is always in standby mode downloading patches and system updates automatically, dosen't this include the 24hr check-up? So basically the only time the console wont allow games to be played is if your internet isn't working in the allotted time. Well all that's left for me to decide are the games on Monday. I definetely feel for the people who don't have internet at all. PS4 for you.

Well you don't have a choice where you trade the game in... also there that small thing of developer choosing if their game can be resold it's not a given they will.

The future of gaming is up to you, the customers. Don't buy DRM-stuff and all that stuff will just disappear. It's as simple as that.

That's really all I can say about it. There is no reason to make silly excuses. Because the customer gains nothing from all those things. Nothing at all. So why defend it? It's not like the Xbox One isn't a good console or won't have fun games. But it has the worst DRM of all time, based on what we know. So just let MS have it, let that thing sell less than Wii U for a year and we will be able to play offline instantly. It's the one thing that lets companys think about their business strategies: Money.

Dear Microsoft Fans, I beg you, just hold on a little before you rush out and buy that new Xbox. Just wait for a year or so. But if you fully support those policies with your wallet, things will only get worse in the future. They will continue to take even more rights from the customer for as long as they let them.

Fight the Power! .... or... something... :P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

nightsurge said:

Used Games

• The Xbox One allows games to be traded in/given away, with no fee. To trade them in requires a participating retailer. They are, however, leaving details up to publishers.
  • The Haters: But I can't sell them myself on ebay!
  • The Solution: This is one of the minor issues that doesn't really have a solution. But I also see this as a minor issue to begin with. If you are selling the game to someone you know, they just need to be on your friends list for 30 days. Then you would take their money and give them your game. This is something that could easily be changed/modified later.

WTF!?! This is THE ISSUE!! It is the major reason for all the hate. Everything else is minor by comparison (but only in a relative sense) insofar as being anti-consumer is concerned.

You've actually made the case against MS stronger by presenting such a weak attenpt to dismiss this very thing.

Every time a MS apologist tries to defend MS's attrocious polocies they make it worse for MS. You should follow the addage: when you find yourself stuck in a hole that you've dug you should stop digging. I came in here hoping there might be some sort of clarification or explanation to show that my understanding of the official MS explanations to date was terribly wrong. But no, everything I thought I understood has been confirmed by a Xbox fan who remains loyal to MS despite what MS has done.

If your plan was to make people like me even more glad to have choosen PS3/4, at least as of right now until we get more info out of Sony (and same goes for Nintendo fans who are totally clear on their situation, lucky buggers), then mission very much accomplished.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Yunero said:
ironmanDX said:
Yunero said:
A lot of the world still struggles to get internet connections, or has costly bandwidth overcharges if you go over you allocated usage, This is especially true in country towns and rural area in Australia, I know a lot of uni students who can only afford 1 gig of internet a month and cant afford to have this thing always connected in case a user interface update is needed to play a new game for example, they would have to use their whole months quota just to update the system. The world is a big place, and the example i gave isn't even one of the more extreme ones.

I have relatives in rural Australia and their net is fine? I suppose without support though, it could be troubling for the uni students to pay for decent internet. Having said that, if they can't afford internet, they won't be buying a PS4 or an X1 for atleast the first few years until they get jobs, which then they can afford internet anyway?

This is exactly my point though, simply having to have a decent amount of internet usage completely alienate some users, perhaps they COULD afford just the console, but maybe not that and the internet, depending on how much they set aside for luxuries, and as you said, it will stop them buying one for at least a few years. The reason I wont be buying on is that I live on campus and the campus internet cannot be connected to consoles, therefor I wouldnt be able to varify it, there are so many reasons that it would just be a lot easier to allow people to play offline don't you think?

The PS3 launched for $1000 here, if they can afford that, they can afford internet. Especially considering the internet is payed in smaller monthly payments. I'm expecting the X1 and the PS4 to launch for over $500 and worst case being around $800, again if they can afford that, they can afford internet. Internet can even help them wih uni work and entertainment so it's an obvious choice of what to buy first.

betacon said:
iHollowxReaper said:

Well you don't have a choice where you trade the game in... also there that small thing of developer choosing if their game can be resold it's not a given they will.

Seeing how Gamestops stock jumped nearly 7 percent and how MS stated that participating retailers will accept trade ins. But I will defnitely take the devs deciding on this into strong consideration. It looks as though both consoles will have this problem.

It's not called being a "hater." It's called being "logical."

Metallicube said:

It's not called being a "hater." It's called being "logical."

So complaining online about something having to use online once every 24 hours is logic now?

Machiavellian said:

JWeinCom said:

Mach said
Y

You cannot abuse the system I mentioned because you missed the last part.  In order to add someone as a family member, each family member must be the same on all consoles.  Meaning if you have setup 10 family members on your console and one is a friend.  On your friend console he would need to have added all nine of your family members as his family.  This would restrict people abusing the system.  Now if you had 10 buddies and you form a family, then you all can just pool in and purchase one game and share it amoug each other ;)

That just flat out doesn't make sense.  Lets say I buy a console.  I want to add my wife, I add my three siblings, and she adds her three siblings.  So, our siblings would have to add each other as well?  Even though they're totally not related?  Again, please give me a link because Microsoft hasn't said anything like that officially.

Depends on the publishers.  If its EA or Activision then you could have that scenerio but then if you do not buy their games, they will get the message.  The thing is, consumers what publishers to show them they have their best interest at heath but consumers need to do the same thing.  Small scale pirating and game swapping will not cause publishers to bring out the restrictions but if large scale stuff start to happen, what do you think they will or even should do.

Or, I could send them all a message and not buy the system.  I'm not going to buy a console and then have to read the fine print on each game to determine whether or not I'll play it.  And this really isn't about piracy.  If it was about piracy, we wouldn't have things like a 30 day BFF requirement to trade games.  That is not a matter of piracy, it is specifically to prevent small scale swapping.

Interesting, I just got the Nokia phone for Verison and the hotspot is active without any additional money.  Someone mentioned that that they would need to pay more money for this feature on the Iphone.  I wonder if this is isolated to just the Iphone.

I think it's a matter of your data plan.  Not every smart phone is unlimited data.

Probelm with the 360 end is that CD checks are the easiet thing to break.  It was the first thing to be cracked on the 360 so as a means of protection, it would be the weakest link in the chain and easily exploitable.  I do not believe anyone even uses CD checks anymore besides consoles.

Well then, here's a better idea.  Let the people who want the benefits of digital media (and the drawbacks) download the game digitally, and let the people who have the disc simply play it.

The full install is there because MS does not want to have a system that splits between streaming from the Blu-Ray or retrieving from the HDD.  I agree it should just be retrieve from the HDD because the Blu-Ray is the weakest part in the chain when needing data.   Having everything streamed from the HDD means MS can optimized streaming from a much faster source and standardize their API calls that way.  Case in point would be Halo 3 and a few other games when installed on the HDD.  Halo 3 actually performed slower when running from the HDD then the CD because its cache scheme was designed for the CD.  Many games do not see any real performance difference when installed from the HDD because the 360 was not designed that way.

What are the read speeds of Blu Ray compared to HDD?