By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Details: Clarification for the Haters

Are you happy with Microsoft's (and mine) clarifications?

Yes, no longer worried at all! 43 7.88%

Somewhat happy, but still could be better. 49 8.97%

Somewhat not happy, I ren... 37 6.78%

No, I still think Microsoft is evil! 417 76.37%

Total:546
thranx said:
Michael-5 said:

Game Sharing: Not Fine, your info is off, Only 1 person can play the game when I let them borrow it, and they have to have had a One system and been a friend for at least a month. Plus they also have to have the actual disk I recall, so it's not like you make it out to be. I recall their are also other restrictions, like you have to have had your profile on their console at one point or something, and I often lend my games to friends who I haven't played on their console.

I think he is refering to the "10 Family Members" can have access to your xbox one library. they haven't gone into full details on how it will work, but it sounds like you buy a game and 10 people you have registered in someoway can also play your games (only 1 other person simulatiosly, so 2 people can play the same game at once)

Yea, but I read that for them to play the game, you have to be connected online within the hour, which is fine if your One is always online, but I still like being able to manually disconnect my devices from the internet. Plus if your internet is down, then your friend can't play the game.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

I don't like name calling on these boards but the OP comes off as an MS fanboy who's not happy that his chosen console is taking so much flak. The arguments could have made for a great back & forth but the way they're worded is quite condescending to say the least. Calling people with qualms "haters" and writing about how Microsoft "clearly states" things is just a perfect way to discredit yourself.

What I don't get is that these hardcore defenders of Microsofts 'consumer friendly new ideas' just keep on repeating the same bullshit every single time (everyone has internet, yes we know...) while the problem most people have with the new Xbox are the restrictions. Yes they have internet, but it's user UNfriendly to demand a thing like that. It's user UNfriendly to implement DRM the way they 'might do'.That's the gripe. Principles.
They want to control their costumers and people have problems with that... JUSTIFIED!
but but but....
No stop your whining and simply admit that they came up with some bullshit ideas! If Sony or Nintendo would have presented it the same way, the same thing would have happened except that the few 'hardcore MS defenders' would have been the loudest in burning them into the ground. Get over it, a bad concept is a bad concept.

weaveworld said:
What I don't get is that these hardcore defenders of Microsofts 'consumer friendly new ideas' just keep on repeating the same bullshit every single time (everyone has internet, yes we know...) while the problem most people have with the new Xbox are the restrictions. Yes they have internet, but it's user UNfriendly to demand a thing like that. It's user UNfriendly to implement DRM the way they 'might do'.That's the gripe. Principles.
They want to control their costumers and people have problems with that... JUSTIFIED!
but but but....
No stop your whining and simply admit that they came up with some bullshit ideas! If Sony or Nintendo would have presented it the same way, the same thing would have happened except that the few 'hardcore MS defenders' would have been the loudest in burning them into the ground. Get over it, a bad concept is a bad concept.

Hear here!

thranx said:

I think he is refering to the "10 Family Members" can have access to your xbox one library. they haven't gone into full details on how it will work, but it sounds like you buy a game and 10 people you have registered in someoway can also play your games (only 1 other person simulatiosly, so 2 people can play the same game at once)

It doesn't even state that.

Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games.  You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

The second part doesn't state at all that both you and 1 family member can play the same game. Only that you can play your games and 1 of your family members can play from your shared library at a given time, ie any of your other games.
Plus how do they enforce this 1 at a time? Is there a cooldown period between one and the next user? Do you have to wait an hour after person 1 releases your shared game library before the next family member can access it?  Or is the 1 hour requirement just for you playing from another console, and do family members have to be constantly connected to enjoy your shared library? It could be that when you start a game your family member is playing he gets locked out.
It could even be like GT5p that you have to wait a day before a family member can play it from another console.

The only thing they can't enforce in this system is that you on your primary console can play the same game as 1 family member on another console as long a you don't connect and are still within the 24hr time limit. No other guarantees.

And indeed what qualifies as a family member. Can it be anyone on your friend list (10 special friends), or are there restrictions, same IP, same city, same country, same continent? Can they share your game library with a silver account or do they need a live gold membership?

Just let me have the option to have the old inconvenience of a disc check, so much easier, more flexible and not subject to policy changes or individual restrictions by publishers. A disc you own, instead of ask for permission to use.

Around the Network

xbox 1 wont sell good only sell used games at gamestop only very bad

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

SvennoJ said:
thranx said:

It doesn't even state that.

Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games.  You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

The second part doesn't state at all that both you and 1 family member can play the same game. Only that you can play your games and 1 of your family members can play from your shared library at a given time, ie any of your other games.
Plus how do they enforce this 1 at a time? Is there a cooldown period between one and the next user? Do you have to wait an hour after person 1 releases your shared game library before the next family member can access it?  Or is the 1 hour requirement just for you playing from another console, and do family members have to be constantly connected to enjoy your shared library? It could be that when you start a game your family member is playing he gets locked out.
It could even be like GT5p that you have to wait a day before a family member can play it from another console.

The only thing they can't enforce in this system is that you on your primary console can play the same game as 1 family member on another console as long a you don't connect and are still within the 24hr time limit. No other guarantees.

And indeed what qualifies as a family member. Can it be anyone on your friend list (10 special friends), or are there restrictions, same IP, same city, same country, same continent? Can they share your game library with a silver account or do they need a live gold membership?

Just let me have the option to have the old inconvenience of a disc check, so much easier, more flexible and not subject to policy changes or individual restrictions by publishers. A disc you own, instead of ask for permission to use.

I bolded and underlined the part i thought he was referring too. the sentance you bolded i believe refers to the part of two people playing at once. I did say they did not clarify, so it is open to some interpretation, especially who qualifies as a family member. You (would be one person) and any family member would be the second. I could be taking it the wrong way.  I will wait to make final judgement for all of this until the consoles are released. AS I feel the info wont be all until than. The only way they can offer the play your games any where you wan t on any xbox one is to have these kind of DRM. I normally dont like DRM, but when it adds convienece and ease for me I accept it. For me that means steam is ok, amazon game downloads are ok, and so far the xbox one is ok. If they change things to be too restrictive I wont like it either.

Sony has yet to clarify their stance on the whole subject, so we'll see what direction they go, but taking away straight-up ownership of something that you've bought a physical copy of is an insult to the consumer and is very backwards imo. If they absolutely had to go that route, there should be a tiered fee structure where you pay say $30-$40 for a single digital license to the game, but if you opt to pay the $60 full-price for a retail copy you absolutely should have full ownership. If movie studios decided to restrict their dvd/blu-ray sales to one person the reaction would be the exact same. There's no difference, and there's no defence here. This is greed, and people have the right to be offended and upset.

It's all about the game.

Looks like MS will be fine with all the "haters". That and MS will market this console so well, even better than kinect marketing.

thranx said:
SvennoJ said:
thranx said:

I bolded and underlined the part i thought he was referring too. the sentance you bolded i believe refers to the part of two people playing at once. I did say they did not clarify, so it is open to some interpretation, especially who qualifies as a family member. You (would be one person) and any family member would be the second. I could be taking it the wrong way.  I will wait to make final judgement for all of this until the consoles are released. AS I feel the info wont be all until than. The only way they can offer the play your games any where you wan t on any xbox one is to have these kind of DRM. I normally dont like DRM, but when it adds convienece and ease for me I accept it. For me that means steam is ok, amazon game downloads are ok, and so far the xbox one is ok. If they change things to be too restrictive I wont like it either.

Yeah it needs a lot more clarification. Also what is your shared game library. Can it be all your games by default, do you have to enable/disable them or are there restrictions.
For example GT5's car sharing feature. You can share up to 5 cars online for your friends to use. While it is shared you can't use it yourself, but you can always unshare it, at least if your are online at that time.
That bullet point really doesn't say much.

I can tolerate online drm for a reasonable price. I have bought plenty of xbla, psn, and Steam sale games. Paying $60 for a digital download goes too far for me though. And I still want the option to collect games and do whatever I want with them.