By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Details: Clarification for the Haters

Are you happy with Microsoft's (and mine) clarifications?

Yes, no longer worried at all! 43 7.88%

Somewhat happy, but still could be better. 49 8.97%

Somewhat not happy, I ren... 37 6.78%

No, I still think Microsoft is evil! 417 76.37%

Total:546
J_Allard said:

You can add up the total sales of Wii/PS3/360 and you get enough consoles for less than 4% of the world population. That means 96% of the world population either can't use consoles or DGAF about them.

You are doing it wrong... 4% of the population (if everyone only bought one) home console... how many of those 4% are among the 66%? Again, logic but this time is those circle graphs If all A's are B's and some C's are D's

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
J_Allard said:

You can add up the total sales of Wii/PS3/360 and you get enough consoles for less than 4% of the world population. That means 96% of the world population either can't use consoles or DGAF about them.

You are doing it wrong... 4% of the population (if everyone only bought one) home console... how many of those 4% are among the 66%? Again, logic but this time is those circle graphs If all A's are B's and some C's are D's

I'm not doing anything wrong. I am simply pointing out that there are only enough consoles bought this gen to account for about 3.5% of the entire world population.

I'm still skeptical about this "check" thing. I go away for months at a time for training; no cell phone, electronics are unplugged to save energy. If the system doesn't make the check, what happens? Does it wait for me to come home or do I return to a brick?

Game sharing. It looks like MS has corrected this enough for me, I just hope it's not a real headache to choose those "ten family members". My cell phone provider has a real unintuitive system for "favorite long-distance callers" and if MS has an equally frustrating system then I'm not going to bother with it. If "family members" excludes "friends", this could be a deal-breaker.

Used games. When it comes to older or more obscure titles, the Used market is the best place to find games. Major retailers tend not to carry new, unopened copies of dated games. I've also seen how the current XBox Live marketplace prices downloadable games...they are not priced competitively so I don't buy them. How much is it going to cost to purchase permission to play a used game? Moreover, what is the value of games that I sell as used? Trading in games to purchase new games is my method of not bankrupting myself on pre-orders. If it winds up costing less to buy more games on the PS4 or PC, that's simply what I'm going to do.

Kinect. I don't want it. I would rather spend 50 dollars less for an XBox One that doesn't have this. I have no interest in it. It's a costly peripheral that I don't want; while I have no issue with it being bundled with some consoles, the option for one without would be real nice. I just might wait for the price to come down on the console to mitigate this cost.

Cloud. I hope the worries for this are bloated because my Internet is shared with five other people; I'm actually really intrigued by this feature and I want to see what it can do.

I am not a hater. I am a consumer. My concerns are legitimate and I have no brand loyalty when it comes to my hobby of gaming.

Machiavellian said:
JWeinCom said:
I love it. Microsoft announces features that in no way benefit the consumer and people try to defend them. How does this system benefit you in the least? Why should we lube up and take it up the *** from Microsoft when they're offering us nothing in return?

I've never finished Chrono Cross. It was a game I played and enjoyed, but I never wound up finishing. So, you know what I did recently? I plugged in my PS1 and popped Chrono Cross in and started playing it. No internet check, no calling Microsoft, no verification, no hassle.

I have a brother who is a LOT younger than me. Kirby Superstar was one of my FAVORITE games as a kid. When my brother was about 7 I wanted to play it with him. I could revel in nostalgia, and see him enjoy the game for the fist time. So what did I do? I plugged in my SNES and I played the game. Simple, easy, and awesome.

My sister isn't really much of a gamer, but I got the impression she'd enjoy Phoenix Wright. I suggested it to her, and I lent her the first game in the franchise to play at home on her DS (I was in college at the time). So she played it, enjoyed it, and later gave it back to me. No problem at all. She wound up enjoying the game so much that she bought the next 4 entries in the franchise (which I was able to borrow from her).

One week a couple of years ago, I was sick. I had to stay at home and was bored out of my mind. I decided to spend a whole day just playing duckhunt. I hooked up my NES (I did need a CRT TV) and blasted ducks for hours. No problem at all

I bought RE Revelations and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I lost the cartridge. After searching my house high and low I couldn't find the cartridge so I bought a new copy. A month later as you might expect, I found my copy of Revelations. I had a copy with nothing to do with it. Instead of trading it in, I sold it to a friend of mine (who was not on my 3DS friends list) for 10 bucks. I got more than the trade in value, my friend got a good deal. No hassle.

When I went to college, they had a backwards internet policy. They didn't allow wireless routers at all, and I had to log onto some sort of program (clean access agent or something) to get access. Furthermore, any gaming console had to be approved before I could connect it. Due to their ineptitude, it took about three weeks to connect my XBox 360 to the internet when I bought one. But hey, at least I could still play offline...

After Hurricane Sandy, my building had no power. I stayed with my grandparents for a couple of weeks. They only had dial up internet access. I spent most of the week playing DS,Wii, and Gamecube games. No internet? No problem.

Speaking of which, as a kid, I used to bring my SNES, N64, Gamecube, or PS2 with me when going to boring family gatherings. Me and my cousins would play games while our relatives engaged in dull small talk. No need to hook up to the internet, no need to contact Microsoft, and no fuss.

I had been anticipating Bioshock Infinite for quite some time. I got up at 9 in the morning, went to my local best buy, came home, and started my 360. When I started it up, it said "could not connect to XBox Live". Oh well. At least I could still play the game. P.S. it took 2 weeks and 4 phone calls to MS to get XBox Live working for me again (all of my other devices worked fine). If I had to wait 2 weeks to play a game I preordered and bought on day one, I would have been very pissed.

So, maybe you'll say that these issues are no big deal. Maybe you'll call them minor inconveniences. There are worse things in life than having to wait 2 weeks to play a new game, and having to go through a trade process to let my sister check out Phoenix Wright. But, the bottom line is this. When I buy a game, I should be 100% sure that I can play that game when I want and where I want 100% of the time. Whether I want to play it the day it comes out, two months later, 15 years later, at a friends house, at a hotel with no free internet access, at my grandparents house, at my friends house in his basement where he gets no wireless signal, or in a freaking submarine if I so choose.

I shouldn't have to go through any sort of hoops to play the games that I already bought. Anything less than 100% ability to use, trade, or sell, the products that I paid for is unacceptable to me. The reason I game on a console, and not a PC, is because of that 100% ownership and ease of use. Take that away and I have no reason to buy an XBox One rather than investing in a PC.

Did you read the OP.  Pretty much everything you just stated is solved by MS system.  Do you think in 7 years MS will not be here.  If your games is stored on the cloud, you and your family members will always have access to it.  No pulling out the old console, finding the disk and playing it.  You just download your game to you system and thats it.  Since you can share with 10 family members, you can just set them up and they can play anytime (well only one I believe at a time).  If you lost a game disk, you do not have to purchase another one because you can download it to your system.  If MS stays with X86 hardware, then by the end of this Gen, you might be able to keep your library and move to the next console or whatever it might be and your collection moves with you.  The thing is, if your collection is always with you, in the cloud then you possible will always have the ability to get to it.  I can see 7 years from now, you will be able to access your games from any device that you carry.

Did you read the statement?

I don't know if MS will be here in 7 years, in 10 years, in 20 years, or in 30 years, whether MS will still be in the games business, or whether their servers will still be up, or if the infrastructure will still be up to check my online status or go through whatever hoops they want me to go through. The point is that I know with 100% certainty that I will be able to play Super Mario Bros now or 100 years from now.  The XBox One, not so much.  I can't use the software without Microsoft's permission and if they one day 20 years in the future say "we're taking down the XBox One servers because it's been 20 years and we don't even make games anymore..." than I won't be able to use my software.  I need 100% assurance that I can use the stuff I buy.  No if, ands, buts, or asterisks.

The family member thing extends to people using the same console as far as I could tell.  If I have a family member who doesn't live with me, then as far as I could tell I'd have to go through their one time trade thing they have in place.  And they can't trade it back, so if I want to play it again, sucks to be me.

And what if I want to sell or lend a game to a friend or an acquaintance, not necessarily because I have an extra copy, but for whatever reason?  I want to sell it to someone who is not on my friends list.  I have to undergo a 30 day waiting period to sell something I own?  And forget about lending.  It's not like I should be able to let people use my stuff if I choose.

And you've completely failed to address more than half of the things I've mentioned.  If I want to play in my basement where I don't have internet access?  If I travel a lot and I'm staying in hotels?  At a relatives house with no internet access?  At a college with weird restrictions?  If I travel a lot and I'm in a hotel? 

We're not haters.  We're just people who want complete and total ownership of the games that we pay $60 for.  I don't think that's unreasonable.

Being critical of what MS is doing is not being a hater.

I'm still not happy. Not happy at all, specially if this clusterfuck of a shitty business forces Sony to do the same.

It's a bunch of RESTRICTIONS and you guys are defending them as if they were ok. They are not.

Btw, cloud processing is the new 'blast processing': IOW, bullshit.

Around the Network

They can clarify all they want but i'm not happy with them until they promise to abandon such measures

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

JWeinCom said:
Machiavellian said:
reduced to same my sanity!

Did you read the statement?

I don't know if MS will be here in 7 years, in 10 years, in 20 years, or in 30 years, whether MS will still be in the games business, or whether their servers will still be up, or if the infrastructure will still be up to check my online status or go through whatever hoops they want me to go through. The point is that I know with 100% certainty that I will be able to play Super Mario Bros now or 100 years from now.  The XBox One, not so much.  I can't use the software without Microsoft's permission and if they one day 20 years in the future say "we're taking down the XBox One servers because it's been 20 years and we don't even make games anymore..." than I won't be able to use my software.  I need 100% assurance that I can use the stuff I buy.  No if, ands, buts, or asterisks.

The family member thing extends to people using the same console as far as I could tell.  If I have a family member who doesn't live with me, then as far as I could tell I'd have to go through their one time trade thing they have in place.  And they can't trade it back, so if I want to play it again, sucks to be me.

And what if I want to sell or lend a game to a friend or an acquaintance, not necessarily because I have an extra copy, but for whatever reason?  I want to sell it to someone who is not on my friends list.  I have to undergo a 30 day waiting period to sell something I own?  And forget about lending.  It's not like I should be able to let people use my stuff if I choose.

And you've completely failed to address more than half of the things I've mentioned.  If I want to play in my basement where I don't have internet access?  If I travel a lot and I'm staying in hotels?  At a relatives house with no internet access?  At a college with weird restrictions?  If I travel a lot and I'm in a hotel? 

We're not haters.  We're just people who want complete and total ownership of the games that we pay $60 for.  I don't think that's unreasonable.

First and foremost, I do agree that the OP using the term hater is silly.  There are legitimate issues with MS X1 and having problems with the restrictions does not make a person a hater.  I have plenty of issues with the X1 but I also take a look at everything instead of just my needs and wants.  This is the crux with most consumers.  They only factor their needs and wants, even to the detriment of the basic thing they want to acquire.

From MS site, Family members do not have to be on the same console.  You would not have to set a limit if they were all on the same console just like you do not have to do so on the 360.

You can gift a game to a friend as MS has stated.  MS games studio will do this by default.  Publishers can restrict this ability if they so choose.

Play in your basement, relative house with no internet, hotel with no internet use your Smartphone to check in.  With most wifi systems you can have your console setup to automatically connect to your cell phone when you set it as a wifi hotspot.

If you do not have confident in MS being here another 7 years, why would you purchase anything from them ever again. That goes for Sony and any other digital content provider like Apple Itunes, android market etc.  The fact of the matter is that the market is changing.  Whether consumers want it or not, you have already told content owners you are willing to give up your physical accouterments in digital content for virtual content.  The Billions of money spent on Itunes, Amazon and other content providers show that consumers are comfortable in an online connected and digital provided world where there are restrictions on the selling of that content.

So if the world is going this route and you are concerned that 10 years down the line, your digital content will always be available then you have to make a decision to go with a corporation that has the ability to be there.  Thats when you take a look at the health of a company and their future plans for this global connected world and content.  Right now I would put MS in a huge lead over Sony and Nintendo.  The money, infrastructure, design that MS has put into their cloud base technology is way beyond the other 2. 

Personally I believe MS hedge their bets to early but time will tell if they did.  Making it mandatory for games to be installed on the console like they did definitely made MS have to go down this course of action but the questions is what benefit did it have on MS to make this decision.  Either that or they feel that they will get enough game support for people to go along with being dragged into the future about 3 years ahead of time.

Sensei said:

Being critical of what MS is doing is not being a hater.

I'm still not happy. Not happy at all, specially if this clusterfuck of a shitty business forces Sony to do the same.

It's a bunch of RESTRICTIONS and you guys are defending them as if they were ok. They are not.

Btw, cloud processing is the new 'blast processing': IOW, bullshit.

Why would MS actions force Sony to go the same route.  If Sony goes the route MS is going it means they have decided this is the future or this is an agreement they have made to content provides in order to put content on their machine.  

The difference between MS could processing is that they have put 14 Billion dollars into it.  Meaning that MS has a monetary commitment to making it work or at least giving putting in a lot of effort to make it viable for their system.  You can think of MS cloud processing like Kinect.  Whether you hate Kinect or not, MS is willing to put huge money to make the device live up to its promise.  MS will make the same commitment to cloud processing.  They already have the servers, the Orleans platform gives them the software and they have at least one company who will be the proof of concept which Respawn new game.

richardhutnik said:
arcane_chaos said:
so people who are not fond of MS's XB1 policies are haters now?

Sorry, I like to own my console...not be at the mercy of the company with a 24 hour "check-in"

Anyone who is not a lackey of a corporation putting out a gaming platform, and won't defend every single move they do to no end, OBVIOUSLY is a hater.  That is how the game works.  Individuals develop religious devotion to entities which are only interested in maximizing profits, and then will defend them to no end, out of their love.

It goes like this:

*pic*

you sir just made my day!!!

Machiavellian said:

First and foremost, I do agree that the OP using the term hater is silly.  There are legitimate issues with MS X1 and having problems with the restrictions does not make a person a hater.  I have plenty of issues with the X1 but I also take a look at everything instead of just my needs and wants.  This is the crux with most consumers.  They only factor their needs and wants, even to the detriment of the basic thing they want to acquire.

From MS site, Family members do not have to be on the same console.  You would not have to set a limit if they were all on the same console just like you do not have to do so on the 360.

I'll kind of have to see exactly how they do this or how they verify that people are member of your family.

You can gift a game to a friend as MS has stated.  MS games studio will do this by default.  Publishers can restrict this ability if they so choose.

First off, the fact that publishers can restrict this option is ridiculous in and of itself.  Also, this means I can't lend a game, and I can't give a game to someone who is not on my friends list for less than 30 days.  Personally, I don't add people on XBL/Miiverse/PSN unless I know there is a particular game I want to play with them.

Play in your basement, relative house with no internet, hotel with no internet use your Smartphone to check in.  With most wifi systems you can have your console setup to automatically connect to your cell phone when you set it as a wifi hotspot.

If I don't own a Smartphone?

If you do not have confident in MS being here another 7 years, why would you purchase anything from them ever again. That goes for Sony and any other digital content provider like Apple Itunes, android market etc.  The fact of the matter is that the market is changing.  Whether consumers want it or not, you have already told content owners you are willing to give up your physical accouterments in digital content for virtual content.  The Billions of money spent on Itunes, Amazon and other content providers show that consumers are comfortable in an online connected and digital provided world where there are restrictions on the selling of that content.

Well first of all, I don't want to, which was kind of the point.  As for iTunes there are some differences.  Right now, I have my iTunes library on my iPod.  No matter what happens, those songs are on my iPod, and I could play them.  Nothing short of the destruction of my iPod will prevent me from playing them.  I am free to back up my songs on a hard drive, put them on another device, or so on, and I do not have check in with Apple to use them.  There is no question as to whether or not I will be able to play my songs in another ten, twenty, or thirty years.

And those services are all digital.  When you're dealing with digital copies, it's a different thing.  I understand that it's not feasible for every iOS game to be put on a disc.  The limitation on content in the iOS marketplace is a natural function of the environment.  It's something that really HAS to be that way (as of now at least).  In contrast, Microsoft is perfectly capable of producing a machine without such limitations, and they are CHOOSING to add more restrictions to the user.  Microsoft is taking an inherent limitation of digital distribution and forcing it upon people who are buying physical media.

So if the world is going this route and you are concerned that 10 years down the line, your digital content will always be available then you have to make a decision to go with a corporation that has the ability to be there.  Thats when you take a look at the health of a company and their future plans for this global connected world and content.  Right now I would put MS in a huge lead over Sony and Nintendo.  The money, infrastructure, design that MS has put into their cloud base technology is way beyond the other 2. 

Uhhhh, but that's not the case.  I can, and will, choose to buy content in a way that ensures me full access to it.  If I want to play New Super Mario Bros U in 50 years, or give it to a friend, or lend it to someone for the weekend, or do whatever I please with it, I can.  Hopefully, Sony will offer something similar.  The rest of the world can do what they like.

Personally I believe MS hedge their bets to early but time will tell if they did.  Making it mandatory for games to be installed on the console like they did definitely made MS have to go down this course of action but the questions is what benefit did it have on MS to make this decision.  Either that or they feel that they will get enough game support for people to go along with being dragged into the future about 3 years ahead of time.

The question is not how this will benefit Microsoft.  We know how this benefits Microsoft.  It gives them a great degree of control over the second hand market and makes them more money when people have to buy games new.  It improves their relationship with publishers who don't have to worry about secondhand sales and things like that.  The question is, what benefit does this have for the consumer?

If Microsoft introduced these policies and added an equivelent or greater amount of value for the customer, then the backlash would be less.  However, Microsoft is adding a lot of restrictions, and as far as I could tell, they're adding very little in return.