By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Details: Clarification for the Haters

Are you happy with Microsoft's (and mine) clarifications?

Yes, no longer worried at all! 43 7.88%

Somewhat happy, but still could be better. 49 8.97%

Somewhat not happy, I ren... 37 6.78%

No, I still think Microsoft is evil! 417 76.37%

Total:546
nightsurge said:

As I mentioned in the thread. If I missed a topic, or you feel I did not cover a topic fully enough, please bring it to my attention. Also, see my response to someone above regarding my use of the word "hater".

I am unaware of any issues with "unnecessary costs" with the Xbox One. In fact, many of the things I brought to peoples attention up in the OP are cost savers over current gen!

The console cost will be higher than needed (forced Kinect) , Live cost will be higher (needing to pay for the extra cloud servers) and game costs will be higher (both on sticker price, and effectively since used game prices will rise).

Game ownership is not really changing either. It is the same game ownership policy from this generation, if you had read the disclaimers from publishers before. Almost all software operates on the "buying a license" mantra. Especially steam!

Please stop saying Steam does it therefore it's OK. It's not OK and has never been OK, it's just more public knowledge now.

The only issue I see with MS's push to the cloud is that the 24 hour timeframe is a bit restrictive compared to Steam which I believe has 30 day checkin? This is likely something MS might change if the complaints are loud enough. Perhaps your home console should be able to go 7 days or more while your "away" account on a different console should be able to last 24 hours.

They will not change it. You can't cite the possibility of them doing so as a reason for the complaints to stop.

What you think is reasonable =/= what MS will actually do.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
I love it. Microsoft announces features that in no way benefit the consumer and people try to defend them. How does this system benefit you in the least? Why should we lube up and take it up the *** from Microsoft when they're offering us nothing in return?

I've never finished Chrono Cross. It was a game I played and enjoyed, but I never wound up finishing. So, you know what I did recently? I plugged in my PS1 and popped Chrono Cross in and started playing it. No internet check, no calling Microsoft, no verification, no hassle.

I have a brother who is a LOT younger than me. Kirby Superstar was one of my FAVORITE games as a kid. When my brother was about 7 I wanted to play it with him. I could revel in nostalgia, and see him enjoy the game for the fist time. So what did I do? I plugged in my SNES and I played the game. Simple, easy, and awesome.

My sister isn't really much of a gamer, but I got the impression she'd enjoy Phoenix Wright. I suggested it to her, and I lent her the first game in the franchise to play at home on her DS (I was in college at the time). So she played it, enjoyed it, and later gave it back to me. No problem at all. She wound up enjoying the game so much that she bought the next 4 entries in the franchise (which I was able to borrow from her).

One week a couple of years ago, I was sick. I had to stay at home and was bored out of my mind. I decided to spend a whole day just playing duckhunt. I hooked up my NES (I did need a CRT TV) and blasted ducks for hours. No problem at all

I bought RE Revelations and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I lost the cartridge. After searching my house high and low I couldn't find the cartridge so I bought a new copy. A month later as you might expect, I found my copy of Revelations. I had a copy with nothing to do with it. Instead of trading it in, I sold it to a friend of mine (who was not on my 3DS friends list) for 10 bucks. I got more than the trade in value, my friend got a good deal. No hassle.

When I went to college, they had a backwards internet policy. They didn't allow wireless routers at all, and I had to log onto some sort of program (clean access agent or something) to get access. Furthermore, any gaming console had to be approved before I could connect it. Due to their ineptitude, it took about three weeks to connect my XBox 360 to the internet when I bought one. But hey, at least I could still play offline...

After Hurricane Sandy, my building had no power. I stayed with my grandparents for a couple of weeks. They only had dial up internet access. I spent most of the week playing DS,Wii, and Gamecube games. No internet? No problem.

Speaking of which, as a kid, I used to bring my SNES, N64, Gamecube, or PS2 with me when going to boring family gatherings. Me and my cousins would play games while our relatives engaged in dull small talk. No need to hook up to the internet, no need to contact Microsoft, and no fuss.

I had been anticipating Bioshock Infinite for quite some time. I got up at 9 in the morning, went to my local best buy, came home, and started my 360. When I started it up, it said "could not connect to XBox Live". Oh well. At least I could still play the game. P.S. it took 2 weeks and 4 phone calls to MS to get XBox Live working for me again (all of my other devices worked fine). If I had to wait 2 weeks to play a game I preordered and bought on day one, I would have been very pissed.

So, maybe you'll say that these issues are no big deal. Maybe you'll call them minor inconveniences. There are worse things in life than having to wait 2 weeks to play a new game, and having to go through a trade process to let my sister check out Phoenix Wright. But, the bottom line is this. When I buy a game, I should be 100% sure that I can play that game when I want and where I want 100% of the time. Whether I want to play it the day it comes out, two months later, 15 years later, at a friends house, at a hotel with no free internet access, at my grandparents house, at my friends house in his basement where he gets no wireless signal, or in a freaking submarine if I so choose.

I shouldn't have to go through any sort of hoops to play the games that I already bought. Anything less than 100% ability to use, trade, or sell, the products that I paid for is unacceptable to me. The reason I game on a console, and not a PC, is because of that 100% ownership and ease of use. Take that away and I have no reason to buy an XBox One rather than investing in a PC.

Did you read the OP.  Pretty much everything you just stated is solved by MS system.  Do you think in 7 years MS will not be here.  If your games is stored on the cloud, you and your family members will always have access to it.  No pulling out the old console, finding the disk and playing it.  You just download your game to you system and thats it.  Since you can share with 10 family members, you can just set them up and they can play anytime (well only one I believe at a time).  If you lost a game disk, you do not have to purchase another one because you can download it to your system.  If MS stays with X86 hardware, then by the end of this Gen, you might be able to keep your library and move to the next console or whatever it might be and your collection moves with you.  The thing is, if your collection is always with you, in the cloud then you possible will always have the ability to get to it.  I can see 7 years from now, you will be able to access your games from any device that you carry.

NightDragon83 said:
The only issue I have is the 24-hour online check thing. So you're telling me that if I were to disconnect the console from the internet and just played a single player game or watched a DVD / Blu Ray movie offline, it wouldn't operate AT ALL after a 24 hour period? I find that incredibly hard to believe.

With the 360, if you are connected to the internet, and you pop in a game or launch an app and there's an update for the app, it will require you to download the update first or sign you out of XBL. Something like this I have no problem with, but once you're offline, you should be able to play and do what you want with the console (obviously not using online multiplayer or multimedia apps of course).

No no no... if you dont connect to the internet it will still operate... just you can only watch movies from a disc

BenVTrigger said:
Unfortunately its just a waste of time.

The internet has decided to react like a raging group of 12 year olds

Exactly, just because they support the industry with their hard earned cash they think they have some short of say in this ?

Instead of being a bunch of angry 12 year olds they should just be adults and pay up on marketing driven impulses and stop busting our balls.

Wow. There are actually people defending this.

Around the Network

I wish I could just accept these glaring anti-consumer drm restrictions like you... Not. I likely won't be supporting Sony's PS4 either if the drm is half as bad as on the X1. I will end up being a Wii U/PC gamer.

@OP this is the thing, right now, i pay US$60 for a game and i do what ever i want with and play how i want, because is mine. What MS if offering is EULAish, a permission, a lincence, and you have to play how they tell you, you do with the game what they allow you to, you play when they let you.

Ok my point of view has been stated, how can MS is offer be good for me? if you mentions steam had done this ... blah blah.. let me tell you that is one of the reasons, games sells are much more on console than on PC and that (DRM) is the main reason there is so much piracy on PC. So again i ask, how is the change from me owning the game to me having a licence/permission something positive for me?

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

VGKing said:
Wow. There are actually people defending this.

Just to be clear, I was being sarcastic.

BenVTrigger said:
Unfortunately its just a waste of time.

The internet has decided to react like a raging group of 12 year olds

Yeah. We should all just suck it up and take it up the *** like good slaves. (No offense to anyone)
/sarcasm

As consumers we have the right to complain and whine about everything. We have very good reason with the Xbox One. It's not hard to see why people are reacting like this.

What really bothers me about the Xbox One is how Microsoft forcefully turns physical copies of games into digital. This is the main reason for the DRM. Yes, having all your games on your hard drive is convenient but losing your right to freely lend/trade/give your games away isn't worth it. I"d rather put up with more loading times or small mandatory installations. Or better yet, just make the Xbox One a pure digital machine. Do away with discs and physical media. You are punishing people for using it anyway so might as well just take it away entirely. As a digital only system, there would be nothing wrong with the XBox One. It would be a great system.

It's like he's posting all the bad features we no about just to remind us lol