By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Details: Clarification for the Haters

Are you happy with Microsoft's (and mine) clarifications?

Yes, no longer worried at all! 43 7.88%

Somewhat happy, but still could be better. 49 8.97%

Somewhat not happy, I ren... 37 6.78%

No, I still think Microsoft is evil! 417 76.37%

Total:546
crissindahouse said:
adriane23 said:
crissindahouse said:
btw something i just thought about, how does my console know that 24 hours are over? is that something in the xbox system? isn't that super easy to hack so that the "counter" believes an year is an hour or something?

I'm pretty sure it's determined by the last time the system made a call to a MS server. Can't (easily) hack that.

yeah but if my console wouldn't be online it could also not call the server that 24 hours are over. so it is a internal clock in the console which will block the console for games after those 24 hours and i thought that internal clock should be easy to hack but probably not, they wouldn't have that then lol

Possibly. Though I think the internal clock will check a timestamp the server call makes to see if 24 hours has elapsed. If the timestamp value can be forceably altered, Microsoft's servers will most likely have a similar timestamp for each console and make simultaneous checks to see whether the timestamp value is different than the last time your system checks in. If so, they probably won't be able to stop a hacker from accessing games after a 24 hour period as long as they don't try to access the servers.

I could be wrong of course. I didn't major in security.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

People who've payed for live for numerous years have bent over and let MS take advantage of their inability to see the lack of value to their purchases. Knowing this they've now upped the ante by restricting more things (ie. playing offline, buying or selling used, renting, etc.). Their target audience are the people who've accepted the first restrictions imposed by the original Xbox and the 360 (playing online, watching Netflix, using other apps, etc.). I'm just wondering what further restrictions they want to add with the next console. My advice is to drop the support for this telev.. I mean gaming company, and pick up either a Wii U (confirmed to not be restrictive) or a PS4 (confirmed to not be as restrictive). You might worry about the lost gamerscore and such, but at least if you drop it now you can build up your trophy score by only being down half a generations worth of trophies that the average trophy hunter has.

And about Wright not happy about connecting to his friends WiFi to access his Xbox when he brings it to his friends house, and Crissindahouse's response saying that "it's only 30 seconds of extra work, what's the big deal," you need to know that it's embarrassing that a new console makes you do "extra work" to do what a previous gen console is capable of. Why invest in inferior technology?

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Wright said:
Azerth said:

And you can since its your primary console it can be off line for 24hrs  so if your going use it pass that it probably wouldn't be that hard to connect for a min and then disconnect for another 24hrs

But IT'S REALLY NECESSARY? That's the point I'm getting at.

lets see everygame you would have bought avaiable without having to carry your games with you and never having to get up and change the disk but having to connect to the internet right before you leave or if its longer then 24 hrs sometime before the time runs out or having to carry every game disk with you having to constintly changing them when you want to play something diff but not having to connect to the internet at all.  so you dont want to spend the five mins to maybe have to connect to the internet but your fine getting up changing the disk everytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APmJHu8DNs

I think this is a pretty good video. Its not a rant, like his Francis videos. Hes down to earth and has legit concerns.

Id recommend listening to it, not watching it. Have it on in the background.

RolStoppable said:

Nice job. Looks like Microsoft is good to go then.

As for family member accounts, that probably refers to accounts that are "at home" on your Xbox One. They can play your games on your console, otherwise it would be counter-productive to the entire idea of the DRM. Sharing one game across ten accounts on ten different consoles? Yeah... no.

I don't think so.

Microsoft already mentioned the "all your family/friends/etc can use your console/games at your house" in a separate bullet point.

They then went on to detail "family member" sharing in an entirely different section. To me this means any xbox, but would probably still require those family members to have Xbox Live accounts of their own.

It would not really be counter productive, because only the main game owner and 1 family member could be playing at any one point. It would be the same as loaning them the disc, but without the hassle of that! This really sound like an amazing feature, especially for the "lower income gamer" as some other threads were saying Microsoft hated.

Around the Network
Wright said:
nightsurge said:

• The Xbox One requires a "check" to occur once every 24 hours, when gaming. Or once every 1 hour when gaming from a console that is not your own.

This is the dealbreaker for me, and I ain't no hater. I like to carry my 360 to my friends house (Because they all have Ps3) where I don't want to put up with the hassle of connecting my console to my friend's broadband because no. I can put my 360 with the HDMI cable and the other thing I don't know what its name is that puts the machine onto electricity and that's it.

Really? The dealbreaker is that you can't spend 10 seconds to connect to your friend's wifi? Or spend 10 seconds to connect to your cell phone broadband for a minute?

JGarret said:
I respect that you don't find those policies too bad, nor I will call anyone who sees no problem with them an idiot, but you've got no business labeling people who find those policies insulting as 'haters'.

My internet works 99% of the time, but I'm still royally pissed at the 24 hour check in...those policies overcomplicate things.In my 'hater'opinion, you should not have to connect to the internet to play single player games.Period.

It appears some people have misunderstood mydefinition of hater. It is not for the more intelligent gamers that can reasonably argue against it, such as yourself and a few others.

The hater label is for all the misinformed *fans* of other consoles that blow things way out of proportion.

tiffac said:
nightsurge said:

Game Sharing

• The Xbox One allows you to play your games from any Xbox as long as you are signed in to your account.
  • It also allows you to share your games with up to 10 "family members" and they will all be able to play those games without needing to buy it. Also, from the way I understand it, you and one of your 10 family members will be able to play the game simulatneously. This may be wrong, but that's the impression I got so far.
  • The Haters: I can't lend my disc to my friend to play!
  • The Solution: While I do not know this for certain, based on what Microsoft will allow you to call a "family member" it seems to me that you can now share games with your circle of friends with ease! While the simultaneous usage may be limited to one or two people at a time (not sure on that detail), you would at least be able to loan your games with 10 people at a time, which is 10x better than loaning your game to one person, and being unable to play that game yourself in the meantime.
  • Some Possible Catches: Probably requires an internet connection and Xbox Live account. See above.

This to me is curious, why not just advertise this as a main way for you to share and lend your games to friends? Will there be additional charges for this feature? What is the purpose then of having to be able to lend your retail copy only once?

The lending of a retail copy is not lending. At that point it is "gifting" and you no longer own it. The person you gave it do does.

But this method above seems to imply a group of friends could share single player type games with ease! That would be wonderful in my opinion. I have missed out on a few games this generation because I don't feel I have the time to play them. However, if a friend of mine bought it and I could "share" it as a family member for free and play on my own time, I would get to experience those games!

Soleron said:
MTZehvor said:
I sense that straw men have invaded the poll options.

Straw men have invaded the "problems" as well. Read how stupid they seem and how easily they're knocked down by the solutions.

And yet the bigger problems remain undiscussed. Issues of game ownership, of unnecessary cost, of the silence on whether the games will be fun.

Even in the title he calls anyone who has a problem with it a "hater". We struck down Adam Orth and he became more powerful than we could possibly imagine.

As I mentioned in the thread. If I missed a topic, or you feel I did not cover a topic fully enough, please bring it to my attention. Also, see my response to someone above regarding my use of the word "hater".

I am unaware of any issues with "unnecessary costs" with the Xbox One. In fact, many of the things I brought to peoples attention up in the OP are cost savers over current gen!

Game ownership is not really changing either. It is the same game ownership policy from this generation, if you had read the disclaimers from publishers before. Almost all software operates on the "buying a license" mantra. Especially steam! The only issue I see with MS's push to the cloud is that the 24 hour timeframe is a bit restrictive compared to Steam which I believe has 30 day checkin? This is likely something MS might change if the complaints are loud enough. Perhaps your home console should be able to go 7 days or more while your "away" account on a different console should be able to last 24 hours.

nightsurge said:

Really? The dealbreaker is that you can't spend 10 seconds to connect to your friend's wifi? Or spend 10 seconds to connect to your cell phone broadband for a minute?

Yes.