By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Details: Clarification for the Haters

Are you happy with Microsoft's (and mine) clarifications?

Yes, no longer worried at all! 43 7.88%

Somewhat happy, but still could be better. 49 8.97%

Somewhat not happy, I ren... 37 6.78%

No, I still think Microsoft is evil! 417 76.37%

Total:546

Unfortunately its just a waste of time.

The internet has decided to react like a raging group of 12 year olds

Around the Network

No offense but their was no point in making this thread. The Xbox One could have been Gods gift from heaven and people would still cry about it. That's how humans are they need something to complain about.

All I see this thread doing is downplaying problems other people have with the xbox one. Especially when someone sarcastically potrays the "haters" point of view.

And the solutions are just a joke at this point. "You can use your cellular broadband device" is not a solution for playing single player games next gen. It's a compromise for which you get nothing.

"As you can see, almost all of the horrendous worries about the Xbox One are completely put to rest."

The worries are put to rest because they confirmed them... now people don't need to worry they need to panic.

The only issue I have is the 24-hour online check thing. So you're telling me that if I were to disconnect the console from the internet and just played a single player game or watched a DVD / Blu Ray movie offline, it wouldn't operate AT ALL after a 24 hour period? I find that incredibly hard to believe.

With the 360, if you are connected to the internet, and you pop in a game or launch an app and there's an update for the app, it will require you to download the update first or sign you out of XBL. Something like this I have no problem with, but once you're offline, you should be able to play and do what you want with the console (obviously not using online multiplayer or multimedia apps of course).

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

I love it. Microsoft announces features that in no way benefit the consumer and people try to defend them. How does this system benefit you in the least? Why should we lube up and take it up the *** from Microsoft when they're offering us nothing in return?

I've never finished Chrono Cross. It was a game I played and enjoyed, but I never wound up finishing. So, you know what I did recently? I plugged in my PS1 and popped Chrono Cross in and started playing it. No internet check, no calling Microsoft, no verification, no hassle.

I have a brother who is a LOT younger than me. Kirby Superstar was one of my FAVORITE games as a kid. When my brother was about 7 I wanted to play it with him. I could revel in nostalgia, and see him enjoy the game for the fist time. So what did I do? I plugged in my SNES and I played the game. Simple, easy, and awesome.

My sister isn't really much of a gamer, but I got the impression she'd enjoy Phoenix Wright. I suggested it to her, and I lent her the first game in the franchise to play at home on her DS (I was in college at the time). So she played it, enjoyed it, and later gave it back to me. No problem at all. She wound up enjoying the game so much that she bought the next 4 entries in the franchise (which I was able to borrow from her).

One week a couple of years ago, I was sick. I had to stay at home and was bored out of my mind. I decided to spend a whole day just playing duckhunt. I hooked up my NES (I did need a CRT TV) and blasted ducks for hours. No problem at all

I bought RE Revelations and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I lost the cartridge. After searching my house high and low I couldn't find the cartridge so I bought a new copy. A month later as you might expect, I found my copy of Revelations. I had a copy with nothing to do with it. Instead of trading it in, I sold it to a friend of mine (who was not on my 3DS friends list) for 10 bucks. I got more than the trade in value, my friend got a good deal. No hassle.

When I went to college, they had a backwards internet policy. They didn't allow wireless routers at all, and I had to log onto some sort of program (clean access agent or something) to get access. Furthermore, any gaming console had to be approved before I could connect it. Due to their ineptitude, it took about three weeks to connect my XBox 360 to the internet when I bought one. But hey, at least I could still play offline...

After Hurricane Sandy, my building had no power. I stayed with my grandparents for a couple of weeks. They only had dial up internet access. I spent most of the week playing DS,Wii, and Gamecube games. No internet? No problem.

Speaking of which, as a kid, I used to bring my SNES, N64, Gamecube, or PS2 with me when going to boring family gatherings. Me and my cousins would play games while our relatives engaged in dull small talk. No need to hook up to the internet, no need to contact Microsoft, and no fuss.

I had been anticipating Bioshock Infinite for quite some time. I got up at 9 in the morning, went to my local best buy, came home, and started my 360. When I started it up, it said "could not connect to XBox Live". Oh well. At least I could still play the game. P.S. it took 2 weeks and 4 phone calls to MS to get XBox Live working for me again (all of my other devices worked fine). If I had to wait 2 weeks to play a game I preordered and bought on day one, I would have been very pissed.

So, maybe you'll say that these issues are no big deal. Maybe you'll call them minor inconveniences. There are worse things in life than having to wait 2 weeks to play a new game, and having to go through a trade process to let my sister check out Phoenix Wright. But, the bottom line is this. When I buy a game, I should be 100% sure that I can play that game when I want and where I want 100% of the time. Whether I want to play it the day it comes out, two months later, 15 years later, at a friends house, at a hotel with no free internet access, at my grandparents house, at my friends house in his basement where he gets no wireless signal, or in a freaking submarine if I so choose.

I shouldn't have to go through any sort of hoops to play the games that I already bought. Anything less than 100% ability to use, trade, or sell, the products that I paid for is unacceptable to me. The reason I game on a console, and not a PC, is because of that 100% ownership and ease of use. Take that away and I have no reason to buy an XBox One rather than investing in a PC.

hivycox said:

Well put together and some interesting points were made in your post.

But the main problem remains = These regulations shouldn't even existed in the first place! Why are you people defend Microsoft with their decisions???

I can't belive this! Everyone should just boycott the XBOX ONE. Nobody wants their rights to be taken from them but apparently there are people who don't understand this issue!

Stop building an illusion for yourself and get real people. Do NOT let companies like Microsoft do this to you. Do NOT buy their console. You are supporting their decisions with your hard earned money.

in my opinion everybody should take these steps as granted!

Its like this, what is good for consumers is not always good for everyone else.  There needs to be a balance within a system where everyone can prosper.  I am not saying that MS solution is the best but it is where the industry and content is going.  People put up with Steam, Origin, Blizzard, Itunes, Android marketplace you name it for accessing their content.  The world is headed in that direction and whether we like it or not, the internet has become a fixture in peoples lives like electricty.

The X1 is really built like a digital only console that has a disk format.  As many people have mentioned if MS did not include a Blu-Ray player in the system people would not be arguing.  If the system was built like the Ouya, or rumored Steam box where there isn't a physical media then people would not be up in arms (as much).

So there isn't any rights being taken from you because you have not been able to do anything with digital media anyway.  People seem to easily accept that.  The way MS has their service setup.  The game is out there to purchase digitally and the disk is the same as installing World of Warcraft, Starcraft or Diablio and any other game where their is a service attached to it.

Wright said:
nightsurge said:

Really? The dealbreaker is that you can't spend 10 seconds to connect to your friend's wifi? Or spend 10 seconds to connect to your cell phone broadband for a minute?

Yes.

If you go a little deeper, you probably would only have to do the connection setup once.  Either your phone or your friends wifi.  Just like most devices, once you turn it one it will connect to the saved wifi you set to automatically connect to or it will popup a screen to select the known wifi hotspot for connection.

I never saw a problem with none of this. The only people who always complain are either sony fanboys and haters (it was expected)
We live in a connected world, my xbox 360 and ps3 are always connected so i dont see what the fuzz is all about.
With google fiber coming, we are gonna be even more connected. I dont see a problem with the used game deal. There are tons of devs that loose their job every year because of this and Microsoft is just trying to end that. If this does in fact succeed then publishers will force sony to follow suit or no games on your console. Sony has alot of first party studios but they cant survive without third party support. Publishers that publish games on the xbox one will see a profit regardless if you buy new or used so they will benefit. I can see many publishers wanting to create games for the xbox because of this. Plus when connected to cloud the xbox one can be even better. I cant wait to see more from Titan Fall or whatever its called. Using the cloud i can only imagine how it will look O_O!
Plus as they said before, you can do those 24-hour checks with a cellular connection. It probably wont use alot of data for that, i cant wait to see what games they will show in just 2 days :)
I really hope Killer Instinct is announced, im ready for the ps4 and xbox one :)
I am a true gamer!!

Machiavellian said:
hivycox said:

Well put together and some interesting points were made in your post.

But the main problem remains = These regulations shouldn't even existed in the first place! Why are you people defend Microsoft with their decisions???

I can't belive this! Everyone should just boycott the XBOX ONE. Nobody wants their rights to be taken from them but apparently there are people who don't understand this issue!

Stop building an illusion for yourself and get real people. Do NOT let companies like Microsoft do this to you. Do NOT buy their console. You are supporting their decisions with your hard earned money.

in my opinion everybody should take these steps as granted!

Its like this, what is good for consumers is not always good for everyone else.  There needs to be a balance within a system where everyone can prosper.  I am not saying that MS solution is the best but it is where the industry and content is going.  People put up with Steam, Origin, Blizzard, Itunes, Android marketplace you name it for accessing their content.  The world is headed in that direction and whether we like it or not, the internet has become a fixture in peoples lives like electricty.

The X1 is really built like a digital only console that has a disk format.  As many people have mentioned if MS did not include a Blu-Ray player in the system people would not be arguing.  If the system was built like the Ouya, or rumored Steam box where there isn't a physical media then people would not be up in arms (as much).

So there isn't any rights being taken from you because you have not been able to do anything with digital media anyway.  People seem to easily accept that.  The way MS has their service setup.  The game is out there to purchase digitally and the disk is the same as installing World of Warcraft, Starcraft or Diablio and any other game where their is a service attached to it.

I agree with you there.At this point, seeing all that´s going on, it might´ve been way better if they had just said "you know, fuck it, let´s make the 360 successor a digital only console", which is obviously what they want anyway.I think in the end, they wouldn´t be getting as much heat, and it would´ve made things far simpler instead of this half-assed crap they came up with.