By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "It as unlikely that GameStop will agree" to Xbox One pre-owned fees

Munkeh111 said:
What I am trying to say is that we don't have enough information to start making any sort of model. Your assertion that people hate this DRM, for example, I based on the more hardcore gaming community especially those on twitter. I know many who aren't bothered by it and we know Microsoft is trying to attract more than just the hardcore gaming market, they seem to think this generation can reach 1bn sales...

Nintendo aren't going to change their policy, but Microsoft and Sony aren't really the problem. They are allowing the publishers to limit used games, but they are not doing it themselves. If it is such a big monetary issue, then we won't be seeing as many games on Wii U, just look at EA

Yes, so Gamestop makes their money from used games, and it remains to be seen what cut the publishers take. That is the key missing information, if it is about $5, then I think there won't be a problem, but if it is more then it might get tricky

I don't think that videogaming is decline, I think console videogaming is in decline.

I disagree with the assertion that we don't have enough information for the modelling. When I make the assertion that people hate the DRM, it isn't based on internet forums. It's based on the fact that my sister's boyfriend (and father of my nephew), who never spends time on gaming forums, and who usually finds out about new Pokemon information (and he's a big Pokemon game fan) from me, made it a point to ask me my reaction to Xbox One, and the fact that it blocks used games. That's just the best anecdote I have, it's not the only one, I'm not basing everything on this one event.

This stuff is going further than you think. And I'll tell you right now, there's no way that Xbox One gets the mainstream market that went with the Wii in the current gen. It's just not going to happen. As much as people on internet forums like to describe the mainstream as "idiots", "sheep", "gullible", "will buy anything", etc, the fact is that the mainstream have been far more picky about their choices in games than hardcore gamers have been, and it's not going to change in the new generation.

Also, you say that Sony and MS aren't limiting used games themselves. You're wrong (at least in terms of MS - Sony's hand hasn't been revealed, yet). It's still limited to "participating retailers", and MS only said that they're not going to completely block used games when it comes to their first-party lineup. And it's not even clear how the used game fee system is actually going to work - MS say that they get no cut of third-party used games fees... but make no actual statement regarding first-party used game fees (which likely means that they'll have those fees there in that case).

Meanwhile, here's a little bit of a mental exercise for you. Suppose that the used game market became a lot less lucrative for frequent gamers. Trade-in prices are lower, and used game prices are higher. As a result, frequent gamers are forced to become more picky with their choices in new games. What happens to the videogame market? If you said "Only the biggest titles are going to get much attention, then", you'd be right. It would become that much harder for second-string games to sell on the XBO or PS4. CoD would continue selling massively well, while Dead Island: Riptide would be dead in the water (if you'll excuse the unintentional, but humorous pun).

Now, what happens to all those games? Those second-string games that aren't going to get much attention on those platforms? Third parties would have three choices - stop making them, drop the prices on them significantly, or put them on another platform instead. Stopping making them isn't feasible, because their big-sellers aren't going to last forever, and they need other titles to build towards being new big-sellers. Dropping the prices significantly would mean either having to dramatically lower the budget or sell a lot more copies... either way, not likely to inspire confidence in those titles. Their final option is thus the only feasible one - put the games onto a platform that doesn't have these restrictions.

Now, EA are a special case - they like to think of all of their titles as big-sellers, which is why they ended up with flops that sold over 3 million copies. What do you think happens to EA when Madden and FIFA stop selling? They're signing their own death warrant with their recent decisions. But that's an aside.

So, if the mainstream gamer is wary of the Xbox One's DRM, and so the PS4 and XBO both sell relatively poorly, and the ecosystem only works with the big-name titles, what do the third parties end up doing?

In short, I don't think it's nearly as unlikely as you apparently do that people turn to the Wii U. When I saw the XBO reveal info, my first thought was "Oh, wow - I thought Sony would be the one to have to drop out of the race. MS just practically gave their entire marketshare to Sony". That was before there were signs that Sony are going to do the same thing. (note: my reason for expecting Sony to drop out is financial - they're struggling, and I expected the costs involved in starting a new gen would push the company to cut the gaming division).

As for Gamestop's cut, rumour has been placing it at 10%. Whether that's revenue or profit is unclear (if it's revenue, then don't expect trade-in value to go above about 5% of the original new game price - I expect it to be profit). Either way, you're talking about 90% of the profit, at least, going to the publisher. Even if it were 50% each, you're still talking about halving Gamestop's used game profit, when they barely break even with full used game profit as it is.

Oh, and I don't consider regular iOS/Android gaming to be "videogaming". Most of the games on there are more akin to microgames than full games, and the markets don't compete in the way that some think they do. This is demonstrated by the 3DS, which was being predicted to be a complete flop due to smartphone-gaming, and is now selling very healthily. And if the 3DS isn't in direct competition with iOS, then the Wii U, PS4 and XBO certainly aren't.

Around the Network

We are selling Xbox One.

Aielyn said:
Munkeh111 said:
What I am trying to say is that we don't have enough information to start making any sort of model. Your assertion that people hate this DRM, for example, I based on the more hardcore gaming community especially those on twitter. I know many who aren't bothered by it and we know Microsoft is trying to attract more than just the hardcore gaming market, they seem to think this generation can reach 1bn sales...

Nintendo aren't going to change their policy, but Microsoft and Sony aren't really the problem. They are allowing the publishers to limit used games, but they are not doing it themselves. If it is such a big monetary issue, then we won't be seeing as many games on Wii U, just look at EA

Yes, so Gamestop makes their money from used games, and it remains to be seen what cut the publishers take. That is the key missing information, if it is about $5, then I think there won't be a problem, but if it is more then it might get tricky

I don't think that videogaming is decline, I think console videogaming is in decline.

I disagree with the assertion that we don't have enough information for the modelling. When I make the assertion that people hate the DRM, it isn't based on internet forums. It's based on the fact that my sister's boyfriend (and father of my nephew), who never spends time on gaming forums, and who usually finds out about new Pokemon information (and he's a big Pokemon game fan) from me, made it a point to ask me my reaction to Xbox One, and the fact that it blocks used games. That's just the best anecdote I have, it's not the only one, I'm not basing everything on this one event.

This stuff is going further than you think. And I'll tell you right now, there's no way that Xbox One gets the mainstream market that went with the Wii in the current gen. It's just not going to happen. As much as people on internet forums like to describe the mainstream as "idiots", "sheep", "gullible", "will buy anything", etc, the fact is that the mainstream have been far more picky about their choices in games than hardcore gamers have been, and it's not going to change in the new generation.

Also, you say that Sony and MS aren't limiting used games themselves. You're wrong (at least in terms of MS - Sony's hand hasn't been revealed, yet). It's still limited to "participating retailers", and MS only said that they're not going to completely block used games when it comes to their first-party lineup. And it's not even clear how the used game fee system is actually going to work - MS say that they get no cut of third-party used games fees... but make no actual statement regarding first-party used game fees (which likely means that they'll have those fees there in that case).

Meanwhile, here's a little bit of a mental exercise for you. Suppose that the used game market became a lot less lucrative for frequent gamers. Trade-in prices are lower, and used game prices are higher. As a result, frequent gamers are forced to become more picky with their choices in new games. What happens to the videogame market? If you said "Only the biggest titles are going to get much attention, then", you'd be right. It would become that much harder for second-string games to sell on the XBO or PS4. CoD would continue selling massively well, while Dead Island: Riptide would be dead in the water (if you'll excuse the unintentional, but humorous pun).

Now, what happens to all those games? Those second-string games that aren't going to get much attention on those platforms? Third parties would have three choices - stop making them, drop the prices on them significantly, or put them on another platform instead. Stopping making them isn't feasible, because their big-sellers aren't going to last forever, and they need other titles to build towards being new big-sellers. Dropping the prices significantly would mean either having to dramatically lower the budget or sell a lot more copies... either way, not likely to inspire confidence in those titles. Their final option is thus the only feasible one - put the games onto a platform that doesn't have these restrictions.

Now, EA are a special case - they like to think of all of their titles as big-sellers, which is why they ended up with flops that sold over 3 million copies. What do you think happens to EA when Madden and FIFA stop selling? They're signing their own death warrant with their recent decisions. But that's an aside.

So, if the mainstream gamer is wary of the Xbox One's DRM, and so the PS4 and XBO both sell relatively poorly, and the ecosystem only works with the big-name titles, what do the third parties end up doing?

In short, I don't think it's nearly as unlikely as you apparently do that people turn to the Wii U. When I saw the XBO reveal info, my first thought was "Oh, wow - I thought Sony would be the one to have to drop out of the race. MS just practically gave their entire marketshare to Sony". That was before there were signs that Sony are going to do the same thing. (note: my reason for expecting Sony to drop out is financial - they're struggling, and I expected the costs involved in starting a new gen would push the company to cut the gaming division).

As for Gamestop's cut, rumour has been placing it at 10%. Whether that's revenue or profit is unclear (if it's revenue, then don't expect trade-in value to go above about 5% of the original new game price - I expect it to be profit). Either way, you're talking about 90% of the profit, at least, going to the publisher. Even if it were 50% each, you're still talking about halving Gamestop's used game profit, when they barely break even with full used game profit as it is.

Oh, and I don't consider regular iOS/Android gaming to be "videogaming". Most of the games on there are more akin to microgames than full games, and the markets don't compete in the way that some think they do. This is demonstrated by the 3DS, which was being predicted to be a complete flop due to smartphone-gaming, and is now selling very healthily. And if the 3DS isn't in direct competition with iOS, then the Wii U, PS4 and XBO certainly aren't.

very well written sir! hear hear!

GameStop stock shot up already. Up by almost 8%

It sounds like the gaming console is in a path of self-destruction.

Around the Network

Does anyone get the feeling that Nintendo could rise from the ashes if gamestop and other retailers get fed up of all this BS from MS and starts pushing the Wii U heavily?

We all underestimated the U but it could end up at the top of this gen from all the chaos the other manufacturers are creating.

Hopefully Sony doesn't yield either.

DirtyP2002 said:
Sony AND MS will have this and there is not much retailers can do about it. The Wii U is the only console that won't have any sort of restrictions and we see how well it is doing.

Dude, stop including Sony in the same bag as M$.   So far, everything Sony has said negates they will have the stupid things M$ is implementing.  So, just wait for E3 before spreading misconceptions and erroneous facts.

M$ supporters need to just deal with it, really.  

Aielyn said:
Munkeh111 said:

Some people hate DRM, but they will get over it, it is just a change that is going to happen. Plenty of people are buying digitial now which comes without the expectation of a resale. Of course there are many who say they hate it, but as my friend said "Halo". I maintain that it is meaningless to suggest what the actual consumer reaction will be when we are still 5 months from launch.

As for the used games restriction, I was kind of wrong yes. I understand that M$ are the ones with this built into this system, but I meant that they aren't going to be the ones taking the money but I obviously did not make that clear at all. Sony's stance is that the capability is there, but it is up to 3rd parties, they have no been clear. I have absolutely no idea why Sony haven't come under attack too.

As for the issues with the non-blockbuster, well that is a trend that has happened through this generation already. There has become a bigger gap between the mega games and the smaller titles which have gone towards more downloadable games. I agree that the lack of used games will be bad for gamestop, but I am not so sure that it will necessarily be bad for publishers, there is a reason that they have been pursuing them. It is certainly not a simple economic arguement which I can't pretend to know the answer to. I personally wouldn't be too unhappy about a smaller used game market, it would mean that people don't just throw multiplayer on everything.

So if people are generally put off by the PS4 and Xbone, then the Wii U will pick up and people will start making things for the Wii U. The thing is, if both M$ and Sony are not selling at all, because of the DRM, THEY WILL CHANGE IT! These consoles are not going to die purely because of DRM.

Madden and FIFA aren't going to stop selling... Ever. They will always be there to keep EA funded. I like what EA are doing, consolidation of their engines and getting their studios to work together to make their games more cheap. Oh and they are going to make Star Wars games, I am not an EA hater, i bough SimCity at launch and just happily played it despite the issues.

I refuse to believe that Gamestop will only get 10% in all honesty, if that is the situation the used game market is as good as dead.

Videogames are in competiton with everything. People only have so much leisure time, if they are spending that on their phone then they have less time to play games, so won't bother with a console. I can cite the example of my brother, who after a few years with limited access to a console {he was at uni and wasn't as desperate as I was/am} now mostly plays games on his iPad. He gets PS3 games heavily discounted as I buy them and let him play (which thankfully the Xbone will allow), but he still spends most of his time playing iOS games. I keep reminding him to play proper games, but he seems much happier fiddling with his phone/tablet.

Sorry if my post doesn't make much sense... your post was very long and my brain is a little scrambled at the moment due to revision, but I will try and summarise!

Essentially, if the DRM is too awful, they can change the console. It might aid the Wii U, but I don't think it will be significant. I think the issues with the Xbox One are being overblown and while they may seem harsh now, this console is meant to last 5 years. They want to take advantage of things like the cloud hence the internet requirements and they see donwloads as the answer, within the next few years. In order to make sure that everyone gets the same experience everything needs to be installed to the hard drive, which should allow better load times. Of course, they could avoid this by requring that people just put the disc in....

Heavenly_King said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Sony AND MS will have this and there is not much retailers can do about it. The Wii U is the only console that won't have any sort of restrictions and we see how well it is doing.

Dude, stop including Sony in the same bag as M$.   So far, everything Sony has said negates they will have the stupid things M$ is implementing.  So, just wait for E3 before spreading misconceptions and erroneous facts.

M$ supporters need to just deal with it, really.  

You do realize the latest rumor indicates that Sony will allow publishers to implement strict DRM and block used versions of their own games, just like Microsoft is allowing them to do, right?

BenVTrigger said:
We are selling Xbox One.

It's perfectly normal to lean on self destructive habits, you're only human. We are here to help. It won't be easy, but you can do what is good for you and not feel bad about it. You derserve things in life.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(