By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "It as unlikely that GameStop will agree" to Xbox One pre-owned fees

MCVUK

The industry could be on the verge of an unprecedented standoff between retailers and platform holders.

That’s the prediction of Baird Equity Research’s Colin Sebastian, who reckons that E3 could be mostly bad news for platform holders.

“The announcements were mixed for GameStop, alleviating some concerns over used game restrictions, but raising others around publisher discretion over game access,” the analyst wrote.

“In our view, it is still unlikely that publishers will block used games; however, they may try to extract a retail fee.

“While Microsoft itself will not restrict used game sales, nor charge a fee for game transfers, the company is giving third-party publishers the discretion to restrict used or negotiate a fee from retailers. At first glance, we would not be surprised if publishers use the opportunity to ask for a revenue share, although we see it as unlikely that GameStop would agree to any meaningful fees given business model constraints and outsized market share (almost 50% of Xbox software sales).

“Expect mixed headlines from E3. We remain cautious on the video game sector, and expect choppy share performance on a mixed batch of headlines from the E3 conference; however, there continue to be potential positive catalysts later in the year, including a return to positive comps in Q4 and ongoing capital allocation.”

The big games retail players have publically remained supportive of Microsoft’s plans, presumably because they see value in being of the privileged few included in Xbox One’s pre-owned partner program.

Behind the scenes will likely be a very different story, however. We await from confirmation from individual retailers regarding their plans.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/it-as-unlikely-that-gamestop-will-agree-to-xbox-one-pre-owned-fees/0116799

Around the Network

I think what pisses me off the most is that this whole system seems designed to ONLY benefit big corporations that can afford to be a Microsoft "partner". What about the locally owned gaming stores and the small internet trading sites? Are they just collateral damage? What about people who have a group of friends they trade with?

Hopefully first impressions are wrong and the final system Microsoft rolls out won't be as bad as it seems now.

Sony AND MS will have this and there is not much retailers can do about it. The Wii U is the only console that won't have any sort of restrictions and we see how well it is doing.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

The last wave of Xbox One used game news sent GameStop stock tumbling like crazy.

Will be interesting to see what impact this has.

DirtyP2002 said:
The Wii U is the only console that won't have any sort of restrictions and we see how well it is doing.

The Wii U isn't doing well due to lack of a solid lineup... something that will be addressed in a little over 4 days. Handled correctly, Nintendo could be looking at PS2-level proportional success due to Sony's and Microsoft's decisions.

Believe me when I say that third parties will flock to the Wii U if the public rejects the other systems to that level (except perhaps EA, who have probably already sealed their fate).

Around the Network

Well we will see what Sony does. If they do the same thing, than Gamestop will have to yield, if they don't, there might be some bargaining...

But Sony are going to probably have the same system, good luck gamestop

Munkeh111 said:
Well we will see what Sony does. If they do the same thing, than Gamestop will have to yield, if they don't, there might be some bargaining...

Why would Gamestop have to yield? If they don't like the system, they could easily make a deal with Nintendo that sees them pushing Nintendo systems much more strongly than the others, and perhaps offers a small cut of used game sales in return for reduced new game prices (in terms of their cost to buy from Nintendo).

I think that MS and Sony really underestimate the power of the retailers in terms of selling their hardware and games.

Sony is not going to do this. I expect EA, Activision, Ubisoft and maybe Capcom doing this on the PS4, since it's up to the publisher. But let's not forget that there are a lot of developers who don't do anthing with this DRM nonsence.

Aielyn said:
Munkeh111 said:

Why would Gamestop have to yield? If they don't like the system, they could easily make a deal with Nintendo that sees them pushing Nintendo systems much more strongly than the others, and perhaps offers a small cut of used game sales in return for reduced new game prices (in terms of their cost to buy from Nintendo).

I think that MS and Sony really underestimate the power of the retailers in terms of selling their hardware and games.

Gamestop is not going to cope with 2/3 of its sales gone. Gamestop is not the only retailer in the US and it is only a matter of time before they dissapear, why would you not just buy it from Amazon?

We need BenVTrigger to give us his opinion.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.