By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "It as unlikely that GameStop will agree" to Xbox One pre-owned fees

Aielyn said:
Munkeh111 said:

Essentially, if the DRM is too awful, they can change the console. It might aid the Wii U, but I don't think it will be significant. I think the issues with the Xbox One are being overblown and while they may seem harsh now, this console is meant to last 5 years. They want to take advantage of things like the cloud hence the internet requirements and they see donwloads as the answer, within the next few years. In order to make sure that everyone gets the same experience everything needs to be installed to the hard drive, which should allow better load times. Of course, they could avoid this by requring that people just put the disc in....

I won't waste time continuing the argument over all of this, as we have a clear difference of opinion, but I will respond to one thing.

If Sony and MS both do it, and sales of their consoles are dramatically down compared with Wii U, the first thing they'll do is a significant price cut, and hope that it solves the problem. It won't, in this case. By the time they go "we'd better drop the DRM", both systems will be stigmatised, and third parties will already be moving their development across. And dropping the DRM will only serve to further justify their shift towards the Wii U.

Anyway, if MS were smart, and this wasn't a push to give more power to publishers over consumers and to restrict used games and profit from used game sales, they'd go "you get one install-play from a disc, you must have internet connectivity to play an install. You may alternatively play with the disc in, in which case there's no internet required except for online functionality, and online functionality is restricted to one instance of the licence". It would mean that there would be NO internet functionality required for playing the system offline, but you would lose the ability to play without having to put the disc in.

Given that they're talking about allowing multiple people to play using the same license in the same way that iTunes does, this would be a no-nonsense solution. But I'm telling you right now, it's not going to happen.

I am convinced that they will change the DRM, they are not stupid. They talk to third parties, they would be concerned and agree with this with Sony/M$ given they are the ones benefiting from this policy so the 3rd parties won't have already gone.

I also think that this might be Sony's solution, you can play offline if you put your disc in when it is installed (and maybe without if you are online). Microsoft's systems are based around digital only, the disc solution is just there for the short term, that is why they have this policy! It isn't some evil masterplan, it is an expectation that people will transition to digital games and they want the system set up such that everyone gets the same experience. When you get a disc, you are effectively buying a key to download the game, you just happen to have a disc.

Around the Network

d