By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Why did you not go to see Star Trek Into Darkness?

spurgeonryan said:
Soleron said:

Because reviews said de-emphasised the coherent science fiction in favour of explosions.

Every Critic who gave this anything below a "B" grade should be fired. I can understand not liking it for the reason above, but it was still a fun popcorn movie, and the science fiction was there in full force. To be honst, many thought there should have been more explosions, there really was not much.

yeah,yeah,you think every movie is a great movie. lol

Around the Network

Star is great, but I don't like Trek. I would prefer a new movie ending with gate.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

DevilRising said:
lilwingman said:
DevilRising said:

And if this is what JJ Abrams does to Star Trek, I honestly shudder to think what he'll do to Star Wars.

Take a dead franchise, and turn it into something that modern audiences want to see?

Bullshit, substanceless popcorn "Summer blockbusters" is not what Star Trek USED to be about. And pardon me for saying so, but last time I checked, Star Wars wasn't "dead", nor was it something modern audiences "didn't want to see".

Star Wars was dead in a different sense (ie. numbered films simply not being made anymore), but it was still dead before Disney picked it up. 

At a time when there was very little public interest in Star Trek (outside of the Trek faithful), Abrams breathed new life into the series and brought in many new fans that would never have been remotely interested in the material before.  He took the nerd-stigma away (for the most part) and most importantly made it profitable again.

It's all about the game.

My parents weren't into it, so I never grew up watching it, and none of my friends watched it, and I never got into it.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

spurgeonryan said:

Is it because you have some sort of Prejudice against Star Trek? You grew up thinking it was just some nerdy show that you should stay away from? I assure you, that this is not your grandfathers Star Trek. Sure, there is still Vulcin Neck pinches, Warp speed, drunken Irish Engineers, and actors meant to cash in on the Beatles phenomenon. But that is just to stay true to Star Trek, there is also amazing action, great chase scenes, Vgchart style drama, and visual effects that would put, The Avengers to shame.

Plus, for fans of the original Series and the first few original movies, there is a big surprise that is not really a surprise anymore in the movie.

I recommend that you all go give it a try. If I get 10 people who come back here and say that it was not that great, I will put up a Nathan Drake Avatar or something else that is horrible to me for all of E3. Isn't that a good deal?

I don't have any predjudice against Star Trek.  I like a lot of Star Trek movies and shows.  However, after seeing the first Star Trek reboot, I did not care for it whatsoever.  The characters were completely altered which isn't explained simply by a branching off into an alternate timeline.  Some of the scenes were completely ripped from Star Wars.  And, Leonard Nimoy, who swore in his book "I Am Spock" (which I read) that he would never appear in a movie where his character was not integral to the plot, wanders around aimlessly in the film for no other purpose other than to meet the new actors playing the original characters and acknowledge them in their roles. 

As for Into Darkness, I saw a 9 MINUTE LONG trailer for the film when my wife and I went to see The Hobbit.  For the first several minutes, I couldn't even tell what the preview was for.  But, I knew instantly that I didn't like it.  I even turned to my wife and said, "Whatever movie this is, it looks horrible."  As the trailer dragged on, and it became more apparent that it was for the new Star Trek, I said, "They are eventually going to play The Hobbit, right?"

I gave J.J. Abrams Star Trek a chance the first time, I didn't like it.  That's just my personal taste, and I'm entitled to it.

Around the Network
lilwingman said:
DevilRising said:
lilwingman said:
DevilRising said:

And if this is what JJ Abrams does to Star Trek, I honestly shudder to think what he'll do to Star Wars.

Take a dead franchise, and turn it into something that modern audiences want to see?

Bullshit, substanceless popcorn "Summer blockbusters" is not what Star Trek USED to be about. And pardon me for saying so, but last time I checked, Star Wars wasn't "dead", nor was it something modern audiences "didn't want to see".

Star Wars was dead in a different sense (ie. numbered films simply not being made anymore), but it was still dead before Disney picked it up. 

At a time when there was very little public interest in Star Trek (outside of the Trek faithful), Abrams breathed new life into the series and brought in many new fans that would never have been remotely interested in the material before.  He took the nerd-stigma away (for the most part) and most importantly made it profitable again.

That dead Star Wars brought in almost $850 million worldwide in it's last outing in 2005 and to this day still holds the record for all-time best opening on a Thursday.

spurgeonryan said:

I also read " I am spock". If you remember though, in the 70's I think, he wrote a book named, " I am not Spock". The whole point of the book " I am Spock" and the movie " Mindmeld, where he is interviewed by Shatner, is that Spock is Nimoy's career. It is what has supported his family. Forget his music and directing. So it is only logical that he would come back to Star Trek again and again. Star Trek made them all! Even the new character have struggled beyond Star Trek.

Chris Pine had that spy movie and a few other smaller hits. McCoy had "Dredd" and a few other movies. Spock had American Horror Story. Then there is those two british actors.

Star Trek made these people. Not many break free. Nimoy understands this and will be spock till he is dead. Fringe will be the only exception.

The title of the book "I Am Not Spock" was originally a joke that came out of an incident at an airport where a woman introduced Leonard Nimoy to her daughter as "Spock".  Nimoy had no idea that the playful title would be taken literally by the masses who thought the book was a rejection on Nimoy's part of the celebrity of the character in which he was portraying.  Years later, he wrote "I Am Spock" to clear up the misunderstanding and convey just how much he actually embraced the fictional character as part of his life.  To the point where he would articulate conversations in his mind that would take place with one side of the conversation coming from Spock's perspective.  I understand why Leonard Nimoy would agree to be in a Star Trek film.  He appeared in two episodes of The Next Generation reprising his Spock role, "Unification" parts 1 & 2.  My issue is with the fact that his role in the reboot was a complete contradiction of what he said in "I Am Spock".  And, his first appearance in the film, when Kirk gets stranded on that planet and attacked by that monster, a robed figure appears with a hood over his head waving the creature away.  Watch the first Star Wars film "A New Hope" and tell me that's not a rip-off of Luke Skywalker's first meeting with Ben Kenobi.  Why was J. J. Abrams ripping off Star Wars, when the Star Trek franchise is actually older by over a decade?  Because J. J. Abrams admitted to never having ever watched a single episode of Star Trek in his life.  Clearly, he saw Star Wars though.

I saw it, I saw it, I saw it!!

Barozi said:
My girlfriend hates Star Trek.
I'm probably waiting for the Blu-Ray, but hell yeah I'm excited to see it.

Like all girlfriends do. Like they confuse Star Trek with Star Wars :)

spurgeonryan said:
walsufnir said:
Barozi said:
My girlfriend hates Star Trek.
I'm probably waiting for the Blu-Ray, but hell yeah I'm excited to see it.

Like all girlfriends do. Like they confuse Star Trek with Star Wars :)

Most girls I know do not like Star Wars either sadly. I always feel that if I could just get them to like one part, they would enjoy it all. But I usually fail.

I tried several times and failed every time :) Sadly, most of the girls who like one or both are... weird. So I can live with the fact my girlfriend doesn't like it :) But I have to give credits to her: she noticed that commander ryker has a different voice in the movies than in the series (german dub)!