By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Why did you not go to see Star Trek Into Darkness?

Time. Which I will have tomorrow because it's only five bucks a ticket during the week at the Mall of America.

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
riderz13371 said:

... ...

Edit - Also Heath Ledger did an incredible Joker. The Dark Knight is my favorite film of all time, mainly because of Heath's performance. 

Agreed! I had never really noticed Heath Ledger till that movie.  I thought he gave an exceptional performance - like one of the best of years. Then went and watch "Brokeback Mountain", was not dissapointed.  Really hit me on a number of personal levels.

Anything else he has done that I should see?

I really liked A Knight's Tale. I mean it didn't get spectacular reviews but it's a pretty good movie. 

lilwingman said:
DevilRising said:

And if this is what JJ Abrams does to Star Trek, I honestly shudder to think what he'll do to Star Wars.

Take a dead franchise, and turn it into something that modern audiences want to see?

Bullshit, substanceless popcorn "Summer blockbusters" is not what Star Trek USED to be about. And pardon me for saying so, but last time I checked, Star Wars wasn't "dead", nor was it something modern audiences "didn't want to see".

Because Khan was played by someone so British he could shit out the Queen. No wait, I saw it. Everyone I know that has yet to see says it's because it's too nerdy. Star Trek still seems to have that nerd stigma attached to it.

Zappykins said:
Great Question!

Some friends wanted to see it with me. But I was afraid I would RAGE/Hate on it afterwards and didn't want to ruin their experience. I am a long time fan of Star Trek and saw the last one JJ did. I found it silly, insulting, non-science fiction and almost like a fancy version of an 'Asylum' movie. At times it seemed like it was written by a soap opera writer who read some fancy words about science fiction – and used them in a way they do not understand.

I wish I could be happy to see it, but I really didn’t think the last one was very good. Star Trek is morality plays and puzzles set in a science fiction world. The flashes and chase scenes are fun – but without a story and character you might as well watch a Fast and Furious.

Also, I saw an interview with him on John Stewart and totally agree with JJ Abrams. He said he wasn’t smart enough or patient as a kid to appreciate the show and not really a fan. I think it’s really apparent in the last Star Trek movie. He doesn’t seem to grasp, in any way, what has made Star Trek great for so many years.

I watch a few other JJ. Abrams projects and I don’t think he is very good. Super8 is nearly unwatchable. I’ve tried to watch Lost, but just don’t care about any of them. The only thing I like that he was associated with is Cloverfield – and Steve directed and wrote it.

I did end up rewatching, “Star Trek II – the Wrath of Kahn” and forgot what I great movie I think it is. Well crafted, interesting, exciting. So many times better than JJ's last Star Trek.

Basically, I skipped it because I don’t think I would enjoy it and be mad I wasted money on it.

I just had a revelation reading this post; JJ Abrams is the "Mystery" version of Michael Bay!

Around the Network

I almost never see movies in cinemas anymore, now that I'm paying my own way, I wait for DVD.

Mummelmann said:
Zappykins said:
I did end up rewatching, “Star Trek II – the Wrath of Kahn” and forgot what I great movie I think it is. Well crafted, interesting, exciting. So many times better than JJ's last Star Trek.

Basically, I skipped it because I don’t think I would enjoy it and be mad I wasted money on it.

I just had a revelation reading this post; JJ Abrams is the "Mystery" version of Michael Bay!

I think you are correct!  While Bay can make some masterful slow motion capture shots, and put some amazing visuals - his competency in directing makes me thing he is addicted to meth, coke or something like that. 

Abrams doesn't quite capture the visuals, but is a little bet better with the story.

Both make be brace myself for flashy mediocrity (at best) like a fake out of town McDouglass’s that is just different enough to avoid a lawsuit from the real McDonalds.  But some of Show Business is ‘business’ and not necessarily making art that people like me would enjoy.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

because i find star trek to be extremely and incredibly stupid. its just my opinion on the movie/series

I am just not that interested in star trek in general.

Because reviews said de-emphasised the coherent science fiction in favour of explosions.