By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Why did you not go to see Star Trek Into Darkness?

spurgeonryan said:

Star Wars is a popular franchise. If he was purposefully ripping it off, then it was because he wanted to make money. Trek has not always been profitable in the past. Another thing, it is hard to just make up new ideas. Everything is based on what humans have seen in the past. Music is made off old beats, movie ideas are re-used or just redone.

Plus, original Spock is kind of a bridge for them to intertwine the two universes. Did you want them to just have new faces and call it a day, or actually have them be their own characters? We still get the old Spock and Kirk, just in a new way. Gives them room to grow. Does the mainstream audience care about old Star Trek? No. We do, but we have to learn to move on, or there will never be anything new. Half the original crew are dead or close to death, TNG actors will never be as popular culturally as the original actors and does anyone really want more of Chuck Nor....errrr...Jonathan Franks Beard? Voyager Crew is done and we will never see any of them again. Maybe Robert Picardo and 7 of nine, and I occassionally see Kate Mulgrew from time to time. I think she is in a Comedy Central show.

Anyone from Deep Space Nine will never be seen again besides maybe Julian. Do not even get me started on the poorly cast Enterprise.

It is time to move on. The quicker that trekkers and trekkies get with the program, the more fun we can have.

Watch the 2 scenes I'm referring to.  It's literally ripped from Star Wars.  Anyways, when I was watching the Star Trek reboot, the first 10 minutes or so with Kirk's father's sacrifice was awesome.  It's when the new versions of the old characters started to show up that ruined it for me.  Having watched the original show and films, I felt like these characters were completely altered solely to cater to a "teenage" crowd.  Spock beating the snot out of Kirk on the bridge of the enterprise and then shagging Uhura later.  It didn't resonate with me as a fan of the original, and that's that.

As for Enterprise, I heard that the plug got pulled on the show right before it was about to really gain traction.  The series was slowly building to the Federation's war with the Romulans which would have been epic, and it's something that we'll probably forever miss out on now.  I confess that I didn't keep track of the show after the first series, so ratings wise, I can't say that I did my part to support it when it was on.  Voyager I didn't care for at all.  Deep Space Nine I enjoyed until the later seasons when the show got really crappy in my opinion.  Next Generation I followed all the way through and enjoyed it.  A lot of the episodes were better than most of the TNG movies which is why those films didn't make as much as they could have.

I just wish Abrams had made his own characters.  Then maybe I could have gone into it fresh.