By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Why did you not go to see Star Trek Into Darkness?

lilwingman said:
DevilRising said:

And if this is what JJ Abrams does to Star Trek, I honestly shudder to think what he'll do to Star Wars.

Take a dead franchise, and turn it into something that modern audiences want to see?

I wouldn't put too much stock in that modern audience you referenced. These are the people who made Transformers 3 the sixth highest grossing movie of all time.

In any event, I agree (again) with DevilRising. Abrams undid over 40 years of Star Trek history with his 2009 movie. He turned a contemplative series about science, technology, and human nature into a popcorn movie. He shouldn't be rewarded for that.

I know a lot of moviegoers, including some Star Trek fans, love the new direction of the series. But I completely disagree. Yes, Star Trek was in poor shape after Nemesis and Enterprise, but it didn't need to be rebooted entirely. Abrams would have done much better to create his own sci-fi series without borrowing the characters and mythology of Star Trek. Right now it just plays like fan fiction.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
OneHappyGamer:) said:
because the only theatre in town is where my best memories with my ex GF are, and going there again is just to painful. ill watch it when it comes on DVD lol

Go make new memories with another girl while watching star trek at the same place! Seriously..If i avoided every place i have great memories of an ex gf then I would have to emigrate to another country.. >_>

I have no gf right now xD im trying to get my ex back actually :p

I have 2 toddlers. The only showings are either around their bedtime, or too late.
I ordered Wrath of Khan on blu-ray instead, looking forward to watching the original again.

Because J.J. Abrams is among the most overrated movie figures of our time and I find the Star Trek universe and concept silly.

Great Question!

Some friends wanted to see it with me. But I was afraid I would RAGE/Hate on it afterwards and didn't want to ruin their experience. I am a long time fan of Star Trek and saw the last one JJ did. I found it silly, insulting, non-science fiction and almost like a fancy version of an 'Asylum' movie. At times it seemed like it was written by a soap opera writer who read some fancy words about science fiction – and used them in a way they do not understand.

I wish I could be happy to see it, but I really didn’t think the last one was very good. Star Trek is morality plays and puzzles set in a science fiction world. The flashes and chase scenes are fun – but without a story and character you might as well watch a Fast and Furious.

Also, I saw an interview with him on John Stewart and totally agree with JJ Abrams. He said he wasn’t smart enough or patient as a kid to appreciate the show and not really a fan. I think it’s really apparent in the last Star Trek movie. He doesn’t seem to grasp, in any way, what has made Star Trek great for so many years.

I watch a few other JJ. Abrams projects and I don’t think he is very good. Super8 is nearly unwatchable. I’ve tried to watch Lost, but just don’t care about any of them. The only thing I like that he was associated with is Cloverfield – and Steve directed and wrote it.

I did end up rewatching, “Star Trek II – the Wrath of Kahn” and forgot what I great movie I think it is. Well crafted, interesting, exciting. So many times better than JJ's last Star Trek.

Basically, I skipped it because I don’t think I would enjoy it and be mad I wasted money on it.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
C64 said:
I thought it was a pretty much dumbed-down popcorn movie version of Star Trek. Maybe I expected too much or maybe I'm just getting old, but I'll stick to the "old" Star Trek series and movies.

I'm with you.  I saw the first of JJ. 'Star Trek's and it was flashy, but not very good.  And at times, I felt like I was being hit in the face with  a stupid bat.  I think they throw in flash and quick scene so you will not think about all the mistakes, but it didn't work like that for me.  I really tried not to think an enjoy it, but it's just so insulting/blah.

I see so many people excieted and happy about the movie, but I remember the last one he did and just can't join them. 

I watched 'The Wrath of Kahn' again.  I think it's an amazing movie still!   Plus, the Original Series is on Netflix.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

spurgeonryan said:
sales2099 said:
This one is by far better then the first. The main villian is one of the best villians ive seen in a movie in a long time.

I think most villains either over act their role, or they just play themselves. He went above and beyond as the villain! Been a while since I really saw an actor pull off a bad guy....well...Loki did a good job, but besides that....bane....besides that it was Training Day I think.

Loki was terrible. The guy did nothing the entire movie. He opened up a portal to let the alien dudes in and then got his ass kicked by Hulk. So dissapointed in the villain choice for the Avengers movie. 

Edit - Also Heath Ledger did an incredible Joker. The Dark Knight is my favorite film of all time, mainly because of Heath's performance. 

Never been much of a fan of the Star Trek series,i watched it when i was little with my Dad because he always watched it but it never grew on me for some reason. Same goes for the Star Wars series as well it just never grew on me.

spurgeonryan said:
Zappykins said:

Basically, I skipped it because I don’t think I would enjoy it and be mad I wasted money on it.

I have been more or less a "Trekker" since I was a young kid.

I did not mind the first one, I like how they tried to reboot  the series with new characters. Remember, they are different. The director was not just hiring new actors to play the same characters. Either way, it was still just good, not great. This movie was great! Star trek knows how to Star wars right, when Star Wars cannot figure itself out anymore. But we still had a star trek movie. They tried to make it profitable again by interesting a new generation. At the same time, it is still Star Trek. I think...and this is hard, but I think you would enjoy it. Remember, it is an alternate dimension/universe/whatever. All the references in it should be enough to make you happy you saw it alone.

@ PDF

Yes, YES!!!

I tried to like it!  I really did!  I saw it twice thinking, "Perhaps I was in a bad mood, or expected to much, come on Zappy, some people liked it.  Give it another chance.  Have a few beers get fortified before, turn that brain off and just enjoy the show!" 

It didn't work.  I just wanted to yell at the creators and punch things. I also laughed at things – which led to awkward moments because I was the only one to find them funny.  I don’t think the director/writers meant them to be funny.  Like giant gaping plot holes, mischaracterization, references that failed gloriously, stuff like that.  

And I don’t have a problem with a time travel story or alternative universe.  I know that bugged many people.  Had they just made it some other sci-fi show I think I just would have thought it a flashy silly thing.  Like the movie “Lost in Space.”

I did appreciate some of the casting - the guy the played Bones was Great!  It had some moments, but I couldn't get over feeling like I had watched something I loved dirtied by it.  It kind of tainted all Star Trek for a bit.

But compare it to something like “District 9” and it just can’t hold it’s own, in my opinion.

I’m happy for you.  It’s great that you can enjoy it.  Perhaps I will enjoy it too, but I will wait till it comes on Netflix or something like that.

As for Star Wars. I don’t know.  Lucas has done enough to kill/insult it all on its own I doubt he can make it any worse.  Unless there is a Jar Jar Abrams.

PS Many of the people camping outside the Chinese Theatre to see Star Wars prequels were friends of mine.  I saw them opening night with them. 

Tell me a funny joke!

riderz13371 said:

... ...

Edit - Also Heath Ledger did an incredible Joker. The Dark Knight is my favorite film of all time, mainly because of Heath's performance. 

Agreed! I had never really noticed Heath Ledger till that movie.  I thought he gave an exceptional performance - like one of the best of years. Then went and watch "Brokeback Mountain", was not dissapointed.  Really hit me on a number of personal levels.

Anything else he has done that I should see?

Tell me a funny joke!