By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What in the hell happened to this place?

kitler53 said:

that's exactly the problem.  there was a time we were different.  we had mods and rules but for the most part didn't need to enforce them much.  there was a gentleman's agreement to have lively but respectful discussion.  there was the occasional rouge newbie that had to be delt with but the most active memebers treated each other well.  somewhere along the way we fell from grace.  it's disappointing.

I know what you mean and i also take part in a forum that is like that, but that comes with a cost. This site is growing, the familiar smaller forum is dieing. Its the only way forward in my opinion. Have to move and adpat, and to be honest i doubt this has anything to do with opinion, but with personal insults or outright trolling when going to say the Vita official thread and tell us how crap the Vita is. Thats inciting.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Well, you know. War...war never changes.

I remember back than you use to always have your fanboy camps, but 2 years later and it's much more rampant? Not only that, but you can get banned for pointing out that someone is using a fallacy of hasteful generalization and false attribution? 

So: War has changed

Nem said:
kitler53 said:

that's exactly the problem.  there was a time we were different.  we had mods and rules but for the most part didn't need to enforce them much.  there was a gentleman's agreement to have lively but respectful discussion.  there was the occasional rouge newbie that had to be delt with but the most active memebers treated each other well.  somewhere along the way we fell from grace.  it's disappointing.

I know what you mean and i also take part in a forum that is like that, but that comes with a cost. This site is growing, the familiar smaller forum is dieing. Its the only way forward in my opinion. Have to move and adpat, and to be honest i doubt this has anything to do with opinion, but with personal insults or outright trolling when going to say the Vita official thread and tell us how crap the Vita is. Thats inciting.

the only way forward?  like a care if this site grows.  i'm not ioi, i don't make money on this site.  if the community continues to move in the direction of what i find on ign or gamespot then i'll leave.  there is a reason i choose this site in the first place. 

..pm me the name of the forum you frequent if it is game related and you don't mind spoiling your secret a little.

Nem said:

? I think the site is getting smaller... we used to have around 300 members online any given time... that with the quality of those members that have left made it easier to have a meaningfull conversation.. sometimes this site is so slow with no one posting for 15 minutes which makes it easier for the troll to stand out.. I actually think the trolling level stayed the same but we lost a lot of quality in members.. no offence to the new members...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Eh, I don't know if it's because of a lack of involvement from myself in a lot of non-sales/vita threads, but it seems all about the same.

I do agree that the rules are far too unequitable in terms of not wanting to hurt people's feelings, but I tend to just go along. I don't really try and report anything, but if I feel the need to, I just go and contact the mod personally to rant.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Jicale said:
I'm sorry maybe its because I'm 28 but the 'reported' comment just seems so kindergarten. Uh oh I'm telling on you! 'sticks tongue out and runs off'

Reported.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Turkish said:
Wright said:
Well, you know. War...war never changes.

I remember back than you use to always have your fanboy camps, but 2 years later and it's much more rampant? Not only that, but you can get banned for pointing out that someone is using a fallacy of hasteful generalization and false attribution? 

So: War has changed

Au contraire. This proves war never changes. What we're seeing is nothing but the logical progress after years of war. We're deeply approaching the point of exhaustion, and that's why the participants; that's it, the combatants. The warriors. The warfare guerrillas are enduring their methods of attack. It's not only now enough to make based asumption attacks and making up excuses; but now we resort to the "report" strategy and alternative accounts that further serves to prove a point. Mods, as in, the last bastion of an unbiased, non-participant team in war, can't help but judge who deserves to win and to lose sometimes, and given the circumstances, no loser team embraces their actions; so that's why you see them more critisized than ever, despite don't deserving it.

War never changes. It doesn't matter what weapons you'll use next. What tactics. Who and when. No, war is war; in the war, everyone loses. Everyone suffers. If war were truly to change, it would need to have a purpose. A motive. A team truly defined as a "bad", and the champions of the "good". But that borders the utopia; the idealization for war. And that's not the point. Never was, never will be.

War never has, and never will change. War...is war.

pezus said:

Who would you say is like that here? Maybe you're talking about old mods, because I feel pretty good about the current ones, especially the ones you're probably calling biased.

Clearly Smeags.. He's one power hungry sexy mod... now he wants to be on top and give it from behind.. he used to take it in.. he used to take it in...
<3 Smeags <3

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

pezus said:
Conegamer said:
I think it is true that older users don't report as much (though I tend to report a fair bit when required), but these faction threads which have opened up have caused the problem in my eyes. Newer users believe they have to be a member of one of said factions, and as such they start attacking each other, making more reports and more bans. That is just how things are.

I expect things to get real bad in the next couple of weeks. Will the mods be able to cope?

Actually, that probably isn't true. At least for the Playstation thread. Most of the members there act civilized, especially inside that specific thread. The plus is that it keeps the negative nancies out when discussing playstation

Whilst true for 99% of people, there's still the one percent that makes everyone look bad...

I have no issue with the Vita thread etc., but the actual 'faction' threads seem to cause more harm than good IMO as the information is almost always relayed in other threads.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I will admit, I only skimmed through the OP, but only because you didn't provide any examples. I didn't want to risk wasting my time reading a piece that was inaccurate or unsupported.

I'm not sure what the theme of this thread is but I will say people really need to grow a thicker skins. A lot of people on here are much too sensitive. I have seen far too many posts reported, simply because someone else was offended. These people need to learn to accept all criticism no matter how upset it makes them, as long as its within the clearly stated rules. One user in particular regularly complains about VGChartz's argumentative nature which is strange considering the purpose of this site (and the fact there he consistently starts arguments). And a few mods in particular have become extremely trigger happy on the moderation button, which is a shame.

Oh shit, I just did the same thing as you by not providing examples. Please skip this post then (well, I guess its too late for that if you have already made it this far).