By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What in the hell happened to this place?

People are getting banned not because they are making logical points, but because they are hurling personal insults at other members as well. I see this all the time and although it doesn't bother me so much, it is a bad code of conduct that will lead to utter mess without moderation.

Arguments and debates are great, but there is no reason why we can't keep the discourse civil. No need to throw snarkly and insulting comments to individuals. While most people here are nice, some do get banned for very bad conduct.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
New members would not tolerate NiKKoM's sexual advances.

It's just... they don't like in the ass.. they are so easily offended..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

theprof00 said:
The problem is people started getting reported for literally everything. I don't think old users tend to report. It always seems to be newer people who make it their goal to ban people.

See it's not about reporting because they were hurt. Some users purposely feign ignorance and use sarcasm to draw out negative responses, then when that happens they report them. In a way it's about thinning out the enemy camp by getting them banned.

It's stupid but people still do it nonetheless.

so true.  i wish we'd add a anti baiting rule here.  if we just shamed the 5-6 master baiters on this site we'd have soo much more wholesome discussions.

Wright said:
Well, you know. War...war never changes.

JazzB1987 said:
Wright said:
Well, you know. War...war never changes.

I'm ashamed to say I did beat this game.

Around the Network

I think it is true that older users don't report as much (though I tend to report a fair bit when required), but these faction threads which have opened up have caused the problem in my eyes. Newer users believe they have to be a member of one of said factions, and as such they start attacking each other, making more reports and more bans. That is just how things are.

I expect things to get real bad in the next couple of weeks. Will the mods be able to cope?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I've never reported someone before, nor have I been moderated. Well I got a warning once for a misread "necrobump" but hastily had it revoked upon explanation.

Some users are here just to argue. They seem dedicated to rile other people up. The internet has become a den of trolls who get others banned just as much as themselves, and boy do they get themselves banned. I don't know how people can handle being banned every other week or month. It makes me wonder if they go to another forum just to brag or do the same thing as here.

I'd be happy with more freedom but I'm also concerned that would increase our problem. Though it might not. I'd like to know what kind of people and in what frequency are reporting other users. Do we have a report spamming problem? What is the ratio of bans to reports? Maybe a few behind the scenes measures could improve our conversational flow.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Wright said:

I'm ashamed to say I did beat this game.

I can't remember if i did or not.....It was so bad. 

Glad that COD took the ridicule like a champ though. *cough* unlike others *cough*

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

I have been on this site for a long time. Seen lots of changes over the years. I think what it is aswell is that the older members have matured overtime. People are so easy to forget how harsh this site could be for a ps3 owner. Back in 07 it was shark infested waters.

It was all in good fun a lot of the time though. I really don't think I have ever reported someone. Maybe once but don't remember.

Site was a lot more relaxed. Many people are too sensitive on here, with that said go through other gaming forums and you will see that vgc is still the best.

Now me I can be having a heated debate with person A in thread 1 whilst at the same time complimenting person A in thread 2.

I'm just mature enough to understand that I am not going to agree with someone on everything and I expect the same in return.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Nem said:

Isnt what you're doing here in this thread also QQ? Need a tissue?

Apologies, but i just dont see where all this drama comes from. I see nothing different here than on other boards. There are rules, if you break the rules you get banned, if you dont you can keep on going. I doubt anyone is stopping you from delivering your opinion, but its our responsibility how we deliver that opinion.

that's exactly the problem.  there was a time we were different.  we had mods and rules but for the most part didn't need to enforce them much.  there was a gentleman's agreement to have lively but respectful discussion.  there was the occasional rouge newbie that had to be delt with but the most active memebers treated each other well.  somewhere along the way we fell from grace.  it's disappointing.