By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog will keep its engine tech for PS4 development

I know nothing about game developing, and this dudes are one of he best at what they do; so whatever they intend to do, I bet it is most probably the correct way to proceed.

As long as it looks spectacular, I dont give a damn.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
People trashed COD devs for reusing their last gen engine and upgrading it, instead of working from scratch. let's see how PS fans react to this news now that its their favorite developer doing it.

They get trashed, because COD games look like crap.  If they got better and better with every game in a noticeable way; then no one would complain.

As long as naughty dog games keep getting better and better in such big ways as with the PS3, then no one will complain either.

sales2099 said:
People trashed COD devs for reusing their last gen engine and upgrading it, instead of working from scratch. let's see how PS fans react to this news now that its their favorite developer doing it.

sales2099 said:

Yes, but ND prooved time again, that thye are among the best while IW launches mediocrity after mediocrity since 2003...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Oh Sales...

Around the Network

Can someone explain to me - - exactly/specifically - - what creating a new engine entails?

I guess the main thing i want to know is...does this make it IMPOSSIBLE for ND's future ps4 games to look as good as they could have if ND would've created a brand new engine?

Idk what specifically goes into creating a new engine, but the feel I get is that this could actually be pretty inefficient, and that, therefore, ND's approach this time around is the better decision.

Considering ND's graphical prowess, I feel like we have little choice other than to trust that they've insured their future games will have industry-leading graphics, and that this decision had nothing to do with laziness.

I remember not long ago COD was going to save the Vita, but now its just more garbage. Sony fans are always a funny lot. Their opinion changes greatly simply based on company name.
Sony targets PS3 to nongamers= brilliant more PS3s in homes
MS pushes nongaming features in xbox1= turning their back on gamers
Any dev uses same engine as last gen= Lazy
Any console uses a last gen engine = Not next gen
ND uses same engine= Brilliant
Ps4 uses last gen engines= 3 generations ahead of PC.
Touchpad on Wii U= useless
Mini touchpad on PS4 controller= innovation
Touchscreens = add nothing to gaming
Vita has a touchpad= Innovation
After claiming touchpads were pointless and would never take the place of buttons, til Vita needs its touchpad to take the place of buttons and its again innovative and not the issue it was 6 months earlier when it was a different company

hunter_alien said:
sales2099 said:

Yes, but ND prooved time again, that thye are among the best while IW launches mediocrity after mediocrity since 2003...

Hey, Call of Duty 1&2 were some of the best looking games at their time. After that? Yeah, mediocre.

KHlover said:
hunter_alien said:
sales2099 said:

Hey, Call of Duty 1&2 were some of the best looking games at their time. After that? Yeah, mediocre.

Call of Duty 4 was fantastic. Visually great, while maintaining 60FPS.

After CoD4, it simply didnt impress.

sales2099 said:

So COD haters = PS fans?
I don't see the connection here.

OT: Good. I want to see a Naughty Dog PS4 game as soon as possible. Those expecting ANY developers to scrap their current engines in favor of all-new ones have unrealistic expectations.