By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog will keep its engine tech for PS4 development

sales2099 said:
People trashed COD devs for reusing their last gen engine and upgrading it, instead of working from scratch. let's see how PS fans react to this news now that its their favorite developer doing it.

That's hardly fair, the engine used in the cod series is ancient and outdated. It needed more than antouch up.

Around the Network

They really should have made a new engine. The reason they have the best looking PS3 games is because the engine they have is tailored to the PS3.

With that been said they have a beautiful engine and it must be very stable and codded efficiently because of the PS3's architecture.
Just build new features into it. The engine is too strong for the PS3 these days anyway. Will be interesting to see what a PS4 can do with that engine.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

sales2099 said:
Tomothebarbarian93 said:
sales2099 said:
People trashed COD devs for reusing their last gen engine and upgrading it, instead of working from scratch. let's see how PS fans react to this news now that its their favorite developer doing it.

But isn't COD's engine from the gen before xbox 360 so it's like twice as old as ND's?

Sure but its still the same principle. Both aren't maximizing the potential of next gen consoles by only upgrading what they have. 

So far, no outrage. Hmm.

so you know better than naughty dog? go ahead, explain to us how it doesnt maximize the potential of the PS4. if you want a claim something then back it up. im waiting

Carl2291 said:
sales2099 said:

CoDs engine is based on the id tech 3, which was used on a game released in 1999. People were attempting to compare this to Frostbite 3 and Battlefield 4.

They also claimed the next gen CoD engine was a new engine.

The differences here are gigantic.

I think this can't stand as it is.

Of course engines get worked on. Every "new" engine has pieces of code from old engines, no one builds an engine totally new. And even those devs who use "old" engines have done many code-alterations so that it fits to new systems. Of course also ND will have to do changes on the engine, everything else would just be wrong.

How much of the code ND or CoD-engine-makers will do or have done we will never know.

Yeah I just read that info on an other site and to be honest I don't know what to think about it.

ND Engine 3.1 used right now (I believe it's 3.1 not 4.0) is definately a great piece of engine, perfectly fitted into the PS3. The last of Us shows some definite improvement in the AI department, rendering was top notch from Uncharted 2 and on. If they can manage to make it work flawlessly on the PS4 then why not.

On the other hand, I'm not sure whether we would have as cutting egde games from purely technical standpoint from Naughty Dog this gen if they would adopt the "perfectly good" engine from the PS2 era. I even dare say that most probably not even close. And that may be the case in the 8th gen.

Second issue is, how flexible is the engine, how will it manage different genres for example? This gen ND developed two pretty close IPs, so we have no idea is it viable, to develop for example open world RPG, or a 2D platformer. This may be an indication that ND may stick to both Uncharted and The Last of Us next gen. I am perfectly fine with this since Uncharted is my favourite franchise ever, and TLoU (I will find out in about 2 hours) looks like it may top it. But those who were counting on the creative side of Naughty Dog (and they proved they can be very creative) may be dissapointed.

But I remember, I think from Uncharted bonus movies, they talked how hard was the transition from PS2 to PS3 for them, it was a slaughter, a lot of people resigned then. So from this point of view I can understand that they don't want this scenario to happen again. On the other hand they partially blamed very complex architecture of the PS3, which shouldn't be the issue with the PS4 so who knows really :P

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
sales2099 said:

Sure but its still the same principle. Both aren't maximizing the potential of next gen consoles by only upgrading what they have. 

So far, no outrage. Hmm.

so you know better than naughty dog? go ahead, explain to us how it doesnt maximize the potential of the PS4. if you want a claim something then back it up. im waiting

lol defensive? They said it themselves that a new engine requires time and especially money. This way makes more sense, it is a business after all and it is a smart one.

But Uncharted series looks fantastic because the engine was tailored towards PS3. Now, Naughty Dog PS4 games will look next gen/surpurb, but now we have that little feeling that says that they could have looked just a bit better if the engine was PS4 tailored.

In the end, it means little and the graphics gap will be small. They made the right choice.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Hmm wonder if this means they will do cross-platform development. If its the same engine, the games should run on both the PS3 and PS4.

sales2099 said:
bananaking21 said:

sales2099 said:

So far, no outrage. Hmm.

lol defensive? They said it themselves that a new engine requires time and especially money. This way makes more sense, it is a business after all and it is a smart one.

But Uncharted series looks fantastic because the engine was tailored towards PS3. Now, Naughty Dog PS4 games will look next gen/surpurb, but now we have that little feeling that says that they could have looked just a bit better if the engine was PS4 tailored.

In the end, it means little and the graphics gap will be small. They made the right choice.

this post has nothing to do with your first claim. and you went on and said it again. im still waiting for you to explain how you know this and provide us with actuall data

ND games on PS4 will blow a lot of other developer titles out the water. The Last Of US and Uncharted 2/3 were stunning, and were only limited by the power of the PS3. They will significantly increase the visuals on PS4. watch and see

Love the ND engine