By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should I get a 3DS or save money for the Wii U?

Get the 3DS now or save the money?

Get the 3DS 156 63.93%

Save the money 86 35.25%

Total:242

I came in here to say 3ds but after reading the OP I say save your money. And if I'm being brutally honest save it until A. a price cut (even if that's in a year from now) and B. the future of the console doesn't look so grim.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Kaizar said:

Also, after you do a Firmware update, you will gain up to 2 hours extra battery life for playing 3D games with the 3D ON. And that's a regular size 3DS.

Where'd you hear this?

Experience, I remember when I did an update to go from firmware 4.2.0-9 to 4.3.9-10, and I had clearly gain an additional 60 to 90 minutes of 3D gaming fully charged.

And now with Firmware 5.1.0-11, I have clearly gotten an additional 30 to 60 minutes battery life. But I only got to enjoy up to 5 hours of 3D gaming for like 1 week because my battery has recently started to degenerate because of the over 500 charges, but I still have a more longer battery life with 5.1.0-11 then I did with firmware 4.5.0-10 & below.

Just playing such games as Mutant Mudds on the go was a great example, because I use to get up to 3 hours unplugged, but then with firmware 4.3.0-10 I was getting Mutant Mudds for 4 whole hours.

osed125 said:
Sensei said:
3DS or save for another console that isn't a Wii U.

Get a 3DS and get Fire Emblem. Then buy a WIi U when Mario Kart, or Smash comes out

If you're going to get a 3DS, be sure to get the XL. I use mine way more than I did the original, besides the larger battery the bigger screen really helps with gameplay and the controls are somewhat improved as well. I also own a Wii U and I hardly use that thing at all outside of an occasional Netflix viewing.

Around the Network

Well I like the original 3ds much more than the XL. In my opinion, I prefer the more portable feeling I get with the original. The screen on the original is much sharper because on the XL, due to the increase in screen size, the ratio of all games are still that of the original 3ds. So the image stretches on the XL, and my eyes can tell the difference. Yea im glad I havnt gotten a Wii U yet, but as soon as Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 come out is probably when I will get one.

KingKazuma34 said:
Well I like the original 3ds much more than the XL. In my opinion, I prefer the more portable feeling I get with the original. The screen on the original is much sharper because on the XL, due to the increase in screen size, the ratio of all games are still that of the original 3ds. So the image stretches on the XL, and my eyes can tell the difference. Yea im glad I havnt gotten a Wii U yet, but as soon as Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 come out is probably when I will get one.

I predict you will get your Wii U in August.

I'M PSYCHIC.

okay I just read the release for both games being no later then August for outside of Japan, and no later then July for Japan.

hahaha I guess so! Can't wait though, especially 101, it looks so fun!

BasilZero said:
osed125 said:

I think I made my choice. I will get the 3DS but the original one, don't think I will mind the difference all that much, and I will also save $40 by doing so.

Or is the XL really worth the extra cash?

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_XL

^ According to that more battery life, bigger screen and bigger capacity memory card ;o?

The battery life isn't much more and I upgraded my original 3DS with a bettery pack. So far I didn't see a pack for the XL. The bigger screen is cool, I like it. The memory card is to little in any case, I have bought a bigger SD-card in any case.

For me personally I like the XL more, but the differences aren't that big - aside from the bigger screen. That is cool and all, but if he can live with the smaller screen, he should go for it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Kaizar said:
osed125 said:
Kaizar said:

I forgot to mention to get Project X Zone which is a cross between Resident Evil & Mega Man & Street Fighter & Tekken & many other games, as an RPG game.

It comes out during "May" globally (excluding Japan because they already got the game earlier of course).

Also, after you do a Firmware update, you will gain up to 2 hours extra battery life for playing 3D games with the 3D ON. And that's a regular size 3DS.

Battery life will not really be an issue. I will hardly ever going to get my 3DS out of the house (just like my DS), so I will always have a charge available.

But you will get weapon gems and exchange ghost data and music playlist & etc. when you take your 3DS with you. Because of StreetPass.

You can at least have it with you in Sleep Mode like I do.

But I do admit that I have never taken my DS outside of my home since 2006.

And yeah, I tend to only have my 3DS when outside ON but in Sleep Mode the whole time, but I collect a lot of great stuff within 100 feet of other 3DS systems in 1 to 5 seconds being within 100 feet of other 3DS systems.

Plus there's this thing in the Mii Plaza App where you collect other people's Mii's to complete rotating motion 3D images of 3DS games with the polygon count push more towards 160 million polygons, but NOT 160 million polygons. And there's also Find Mii 1 & 2 where you collect a lot of Hats for your Mii by using the Mii's you collected thru StreetPass for Mii Plaza App to wear on your Mii.

You can set up to 12 different games & Apps for StreetPass at once and you don't need the game in the system to get the StreetPass for it.

Street Pass is really cool... BUT, if consoles are that expensive in his country the possibility is high that not much people bought some. So the chances of a street pass meet might be low. It may depend though, cities have generally a higher probability than the countryside and so on.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]