By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3DS compare to the Wii, so how does the 3DS compare to the Wii?

Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
NintendoPie said:
"gaseous object rendering"

Wait, what? Are we talking about Saturn or something?
(I've heard around the webs that the 3DS has more "modern techniques" but not updated engines and such. I don't know how that possibly works out, but whatever.)

Gaseous rendering on the Saturn? It struggled just to do trasparencies. The fog is Resident Evil Revelatons is the kind of rendering they mean.

Basically, the 3DS can't draw as many polygons or pixels as the Wii, but it comes with more modern lighting effects.

Well I know the shadows improve with even every single minor firmware update.

So the gaseous rendering also I proves with firmware updates. I'm curious on how the fog in Resident Evil: Revelations looks like on Firmware 5.1.0-11.

The firmware improves shadows? Source?

Around the Network
Kaizar said:
Otakumegane said:
It has better shaders, less poly count.

In terms of pure power, 3DS is weaker. (See DKCR being 30FPS on 3DS and 60 FPS on Wii)

The 3DS has 160 million polygons.

How many triangles could the Wii possibly have?

And there is only 1 source saying that DKRC is 30 fps on 3DS and that is just people reading into a 2D YouTube video, but YouTube only streams 2D Videos in 30 fps.

So we still don't know what Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D frame rate is until the game comes out on May 24, 2013.

The Wii only has a 729 MHz 1-core CPU, while the 3DS has a 4-core 1 GHz CPU.

OH MY GOD

"The 3DS has 160 million polygons."

And what happens if it runs out of polygons after ten seconds? ;) Where do you have this from? Also, *every* poly/sec. spec is the theoretical maximum which will close to never be achieved. Texturing, shading, other computational tasks vastly decrease polys!

What? You are still comparing CPUs by their clockrate? Really? And how do you know they use 1GHz? The spec says "up to", you read it as "runs with".

In general what are you trying to say? That 3ds is a powerhorse? No, it isn't. Does it provide better graphics than its predecessor? Of course, obviously. Is it on par with Wii? Very doubtful. There are so many things that influence performance you probably don't know of. Interconnection busses, memory bandwidth and memory interfaces (!), CPU-design, caches, memory-amount (!), GPU-architecture... So many things and especially so many things we don't know.

Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
NintendoPie said:

(I've heard around the webs that the 3DS has more "modern techniques" but not updated engines and such. I don't know how that possibly works out, but whatever.)

Gaseous rendering on the Saturn? It struggled just to do trasparencies. The fog is Resident Evil Revelatons is the kind of rendering they mean.

Basically, the 3DS can't draw as many polygons or pixels as the Wii, but it comes with more modern lighting effects.

So the gaseous rendering also I proves with firmware updates. I'm curious on how the fog in Resident Evil: Revelations looks like on Firmware 5.1.0-11.

WHAT? Game-engines evolve on 3ds with firmware-updates?! MMD.

curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
NintendoPie said:

So the gaseous rendering also improves with firmware updates. I'm curious on how the fog in Resident Evil: Revelations looks like on Firmware 5.1.0-11.

Well the shadows have been looking less pixelated looking in Pokédex 3D, which I have had the free one since June 2011 with firmware 2.0.0-2.

And Fire Embelm Awakening looks like the shadows got less pixelated looking on 5.1.0-11 then when I was playing on 4.5.0-10, but not by much.

Pokédex 3D is my best example.

Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
NintendoPie said:

So the gaseous rendering also improves with firmware updates. I'm curious on how the fog in Resident Evil: Revelations looks like on Firmware 5.1.0-11.

Well the shadows have been looking less pixelated looking in Pokédex 3D, which I have had the free one since June 2011 with firmware 2.0.0-2.

And Fire Embelm Awakening looks like the shadows got less pixelated looking on 5.1.0-11 then when I was playing on 4.5.0-10, but not by much.

Are there reports, screens, etc to back up this claim?

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Kaizar said:
Otakumegane said:

In terms of pure power, 3DS is weaker. (See DKCR being 30FPS on 3DS and 60 FPS on Wii)

And there is only 1 source saying that DKRC is 30 fps on 3DS and that is just people reading into a 2D YouTube video, but YouTube only streams 2D Videos in 30 fps.

So we still don't know what Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D frame rate is until the game comes out on May 24, 2013.

OH MY GOD

And what happens if it runs out of polygons after ten seconds? ;) Where do you have this from? Also, *every* poly/sec. spec is the theoretical maximum which will close to never be achieved. Texturing, shading, other computational tasks vastly decrease polys!

What? You are still comparing CPUs by their clockrate? Really? And how do you know they use 1GHz? The spec says "up to", you read it as "runs with".

In general what are you trying to say? That 3ds is a powerhorse? No, it isn't. Does it provide better graphics than its predecessor? Of course, obviously. Is it on par with Wii? Very doubtful. There are so many things that influence performance you probably don't know of. Interconnection busses, memory bandwidth and memory interfaces (!), CPU-design, caches, memory-amount (!), GPU-architecture... So many things and especially so many things we don't know.

The 3DS CPU can't be underclock any lower then 350 MHz a core' which still puts it above the Wii.

And it seems the CPU on pre-install firmware is running no lower then 400 MHz a core.

But yeah on the other stuff.

160 million is the max, so most likely won't see it outside of Puzzle Swap which comes the closest for obvious reasons when you unlock an rotating 3D image of a game.

But the Wii max is probably somewhere from 40 million to 100 million. Well I know the GameCube did more then 20 million polygons, but did no more then maybe just up to 20 million.

So even though the 3DS doesn't get it's max, neither does the Wii.

Kaizar said:
walsufnir said:
Kaizar said:
Otakumegane said:

OH MY GOD

The 3DS CPU can't be underclock any lower then 350 MHz a core' which still puts it above the Wii.

And it seems the CPU on pre-install firmware is running no lower then 400 MHz a core.

Clock speeds are not an accurate measurement of power between different architectures.

curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
NintendoPie said:

Are there reports, screens, etc to back up this claim?

Well you can probably find some off-screen screenshots and/or off-screen videos from 2011 of the free app showing a Pokémon from any certain angle that would show its pixelated shadow........and then you can launch the free app on your own 3DS for the same Pokémon with the same background at the same angle, zoomed in or out the same amount and compare it I suppose.

If you don't have it, then I guess use someone's 3DS who does have it, but you can also copy the free data from others SD card onto your SD card and it should still work, like the free downloadable video trailers on any 3DS without system transfer because you would just copy from one SD card to anger and it would still work for the free stuff you copied.

The zoom-ins show off the most pixelation.

curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:
walsufnir said:
Kaizar said:
Otakumegane said:

OH MY GOD

Clock speeds are not an accurate measurement of power between different architectures.

Tru-Dat.

But I wouldn't know where to start, to compare detail of architectures, LOL.

but Nintendo does seem to always focus on architectures with each new gen system they make.

walsufnir said:
Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
NintendoPie said:

WHAT? Game-engines evolve on 3ds with firmware-updates?! MMD.

Well the 360 use to have pixelated shadows when it came out in 2005 and so did the PS3 when it came out in 2006.

Didn't they later fix these problems with firmware updates for the 360 & PS3 use to have pixelated shadows.

And the Wii U drastically improve its loading times with a firmware update.