By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3DS compare to the Wii, so how does the 3DS compare to the Wii?

kljesta64 said:
superchunk said:
You do realize you're comparing a mobile low-power based architecture to a more PC and highly optimized architecture?

Wii is greater than 3DS. DKCR 3D proves it. Just look at the videos. One is clearly better... even if you put 3DS in 2D mode.

3DS is more in-line with the Gamecube.

I dont think a 3DS can produce metroid prime,TP,rogue squadrom like graphics...so no big open areas with details on 3DS but small areas as we see in Luigis mansion are possible..

I wouldn't say that.  Plus, Luigi's Mansion ran at 60fps the majority of the time and used some advanced lighting techniques and a very large emphasis on attention to detail.  

Lego City for the 3DS, while the draw distance suffers, has some pretty detailed large open-world environments.  The framerate was also a little choppy at some places, but for the most part maintained its 30fps.  Considering it was taking after the Wii U version, I believe it could handle those kinds of games.

edit: I should also add that the screen size is also a limiting factor for open-world games on the 3DS.

Around the Network

Can someone explain all this to me? preferably in terms of DBZ power levels

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Well, the interview with a former Retro dev already confirmed the answer on this topic:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=159159&page=1#

PhantomLink said:

N64 / DS (Whatever you feel was superior)

(Recently hatched)

Gamecube

3DS

(Post Kami-fusion)

Wii

(Post Absorbing thousands of peeps)

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:

Doesn't that mean that the Wii has 40 million triangles?

Well, I know the GPU clock speeds:

Gamecube = 194 MHz

Wii = 243 MHz

3DS = 400 MHz

Plus the Wii looks as small as the 3DS without its disc drive, so I find it hard to believe that the Wii with older Hardware at $250 could have better technology. Why wouldn't Nintendo use better technology in a newer $250 Hardware?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth

Clock speed isn't an accuarate mesaure of comparison between two architecturally disparate processors.

As to how they got more performance out of the Wii's older hardware, it's simple; the Wii is plugged into a power source and has space for air circulation and a fan; the 3DS has to make a small battery last for hours and remain cool in a cramped space with no fan.

The Wii came out in 2006 at $250 to make a profit.

The 3DS came out in 2011 at $250 to make a profit.

The technology would be 32 times greater by 2011, and then you reduce the function for NO fan and 3 hour battery life.

The Tech would still be running greater at a fraction of what it's capable of.

Where are you getting 32 from? Moore's law? Cos that only brings it to 6 times, which can be negated by size, temperature, and power constraints.

The specs you posted show lower polygon and pixel performance for 3DS. It has newer shader techniques, allowing it to produce effects like normal mapping more effectively than the Wii, but in raw power it's just not as strong. After all, it's a portable, and not one designed to push the limits of raw power like the Vita.

Well, isn't it 2x2x2x2x2= 32?

Plus the GameCube specs says 6 to 12 million polygons.

Moore's law is "double every two years." So that's two doubles over four years. Since 3DS was closer to 4 years after the Wii, not 5, that's a fourfold increase.

The Gamecube's numbers were underestimated as Factor 5 pushed 15 million at launch with Rogue Squadron 2, and 20 million with Rogue Squadron 3. And that's while also running tons of bumpmapping, self-shadowing, light scattering, etc. With a 50% speed bump for Wii, it should be capable of 30 million.

Around the Network
_crazy_man_ said:
PhantomLink said:

(Recently hatched)

Gamecube

3DS

(Post Kami-fusion)

Wii

Best post ever

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
_crazy_man_ said:
PhantomLink said:

(Recently hatched)

Gamecube

3DS

(Post Kami-fusion)

Wii

Best post ever

Someone asked.

I FUCKING BRING IT BRO!

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

"gaseous object rendering"

Wait, what? Are we talking about Saturn or something?
(I've heard around the webs that the 3DS has more "modern techniques" but not updated engines and such. I don't know how that possibly works out, but whatever.)

NintendoPie said:

(I've heard around the webs that the 3DS has more "modern techniques" but not updated engines and such. I don't know how that possibly works out, but whatever.)

Gaseous rendering on the Saturn? It struggled just to do trasparencies. The fog is Resident Evil Revelatons is the kind of rendering they mean.

Basically, the 3DS can't draw as many polygons or pixels as the Wii, but it comes with more modern lighting effects.

curl-6 said:
NintendoPie said:

Gaseous rendering on the Saturn? It struggled just to do trasparencies. The fog is Resident Evil Revelatons is the kind of rendering they mean.

Basically, the 3DS can't draw as many polygons or pixels as the Wii, but it comes with more modern lighting effects.

Well I know the shadows improve with even every single minor firmware update.

So the gaseous rendering also improves with firmware updates. I'm curious on how the fog in Resident Evil: Revelations looks like on Firmware 5.1.0-11.