By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3DS compare to the Wii, so how does the 3DS compare to the Wii?

OK guys, I'm out... there is so much technical nonsense in this thread, it would make my eyes bleed if I read more of this. Happy arguing! :)

Around the Network

The 3DS is somewhere between the Gamecube and Wii I would say. It does have the edge with the shaders and a smaller screen which makes up for lower textures.

Kaizar said:
walsufnir said:
Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
NintendoPie said:
"gaseous object rendering"

Wait, what? Are we talking about Saturn or something?
(I've heard around the webs that the 3DS has more "modern techniques" but not updated engines and such. I don't know how that possibly works out, but whatever.)

Gaseous rendering on the Saturn? It struggled just to do trasparencies. The fog is Resident Evil Revelatons is the kind of rendering they mean.

Basically, the 3DS can't draw as many polygons or pixels as the Wii, but it comes with more modern lighting effects.

Well I know the shadows improve with even every single minor firmware update.

So the gaseous rendering also I proves with firmware updates. I'm curious on how the fog in Resident Evil: Revelations looks like on Firmware 5.1.0-11.

WHAT? Game-engines evolve on 3ds with firmware-updates?! MMD.

Well the 360 use to have pixelated shadows when it came out in 2005 and so did the PS3 when it came out in 2006.

Didn't they later fix these problems with firmware updates for the 360 & PS3 use to have pixelated shadows.

And the Wii U drastically improve its loading times with a firmware update.

The graphical improvements in the PS3 and 360, as with any console, are the result of developers gaining more experience with the hardware and programming their games more efficiently.

No offense, but most of your claims are WAY off base. It's okay, I too spent a while not really knowing what I was talking about. You've just gotta be willing to learn.

curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:

Well the 360 use to have pixelated shadows when it came out in 2005 and so did the PS3 when it came out in 2006.

Didn't they later fix these problems with firmware updates for the 360 & PS3 use to have pixelated shadows.

The graphical improvements in the PS3 and 360, as with any console, are the result of developers gaining more experience with the hardware and programming their games more efficiently.

No offense, but most of your claims are WAY off base. It's okay, I too spent a while not really knowing what I was talking about. You've just gotta be willing to learn.

Thanks. Yeah I'm way to new to tech to really know anything LOL.

Well, at least they can make a 1st year 3DS look better then a 5th year Wii with the same game like "Spider-Man Edge of Time".

So we have to wait for new games, to have better gas rendering?

curl-6 said:

Gaseous rendering on the Saturn? It struggled just to do trasparencies. The fog is Resident Evil Revelatons is the kind of rendering they mean.

Basically, the 3DS can't draw as many polygons or pixels as the Wii, but it comes with more modern lighting effects.

Oh boy... you thought I was talking about the Gaming Console? Ugh!

Around the Network
Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:

Thanks. Yeah I'm way to new to tech to really know anything LOL.

Well, at least they can make a 1st year 3DS look better then a 5th year Wii with the same game like "Spider-Man Edge of Time".

So we have to wait for new games, to have better gas rendering?

Spider Man Edge of TIme on Wii looked awful, haha, beating that isn't hard. ;) Resident Evil Revelations is an example of a 3DS game the Wii probably couldn't do due to its shaders. On the other hand, you probably couldn't do, say, Metroid Prime 3 on 3DS. They're different machines with different strengths. 

And yeah, newer games will potetially have better gas rendering,  shadows, lighting, etc if developers keep pushing the system.

Compare the 3ds DKCR to the Wii DKCR - there is a clear difference in quality
http://www.destructoid.com/graphics-war-donkey-kong-country-returns-3ds-vs-wii-247026.phtml

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

High Voltage Software claimed that the 3DS is, in some ways, more powerful than the Wii. Between the small screen and better texture and shading ability (as well as apparently being easier to develop graphics for in general), it's quite feasible for 3DS games to be graphically superior.

So basically these mothertruckers admitted that the 3DS has more Polygons & more better Shaders, then the Wii. And they also note that after those qualities, well you got the additional quality created by the screen size being smaller.....which is basically just overkill.

Kaizar said:

High Voltage Software claimed that the 3DS is, in some ways, more powerful than the Wii. Between the small screen and better texture and shading ability (as well as apparently being easier to develop graphics for in general), it's quite feasible for 3DS games to be graphically superior.

So basically these mothertruckers admitted that the 3DS has more Polygons & more better Shaders, then the Wii. And they also note that after those qualities, well you got the additional quality created by the screen size being smaller.....which is basically just overkill.

Since when does "better textures and shading" mean "more polygons"?

And the small screen size is a strike AGAINST 3DS, not for it; it means its pushing less resolution per frame than the Wii.

curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:

Since when does "better textures and shading" mean "more polygons"?

And the small screen size is a strike AGAINST 3DS, not for it; it means its pushing less resolution per frame than the Wii.

Well I thought the smaller screen would make textures look better. Plus doesn't better textures mean more polygons?, or is it pixel performence that makes better textures? Or what?