By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - BioShock Infinite Ending Discussion [SPOILERS]

Tagged games:

What did you think of BioShock Infinite's ending?

Excellent 46 51.69%

Good 8 8.99%

Decent enough 13 14.61%

Poor 15 16.85%

I haven't seen it and am... 7 7.87%

Total:89
haxxiy said:
ishiki said:

The thing that doesn't have to do with the ending being clever, or having holes. Is that the ending pretty much discards the current elizabeths relationship(and the best thing about the game imo) current relationship booker for the sake of a twist (albeit good twist), and there is never really a conclusion between the two characters that you grew with during the story because elizabeth after the siphon is destroyed becomes omnipressent and that's the last you see of the elizabeth that you grew with, so to me it was emotionally unsatisfying.

You're supposed to be happy, because booker gets reunited with his daughter, but that universe existed before the game, and that booker isn't the booker that was with you during the game.

I suppose, yeah, the ending had a bit of that bitter feel you get when some too clever writer pulls the "it was all a dream" twist. 

I personally don't look it as a dream. Because all the events in the game did happen (and in fact multiple times), it's not like you did all the things in the game for nothing. The difference is that Comstock, Columbia and adult Elizabeth will no longer exist in any other dimension, which in itself is very sad.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
osed125 said:
ishiki said:

The liked the ending. But I've seen versions before.

My main question is,

There's 1 humungous point of divergence, the baptism. Two universes that diverge more later on.

1) Where he becomes comstock. This gets destroyed. But, why can't Booker just take all the elizabeths and be big happy family,  instead of the elizabeths killing booker, and thus killing themself? I guess if I looked at other time travel things. No matter what they do he will always become comstock because of convergence, and always be locked in their tower until false shepard frees her. But why can't they continue you on after that? I know it can get quite messy with elizabeth's powers.

2) Where he's a good daddy. But wouldn't this universe exist anyways, just not the booker you played with in the videogame. 

My complaint about the ending

The thing that doesn't have to do with the ending being clever, or having holes. Is that the ending pretty much discards the current elizabeths relationship(and the best thing about the game imo), the current booker relationship for the sake of a twist (albeit good twist), and there is never really a conclusion between the two characters that you grew with during the story because elizabeth after the siphon is destroyed becomes omnipressent and that's the last you see of the elizabeth that you grew with, so to me it was emotionally unsatisfying.

You're supposed to be happy, because booker gets reunited with his daughter, but didn't that universe exist before the game? and that booker isn't the booker that was with you during the game.

I understand

1) That would have been a very cliche ending. Besides, if 1 Booker and a few Elizabeths are happy it doesn't mean the other millions will be. It would have been selfish (and would have created more holes to the story) to have only 1 Booker being happy and the rest still looking for Elizabeth, there's no real redemption in that.

2) I don't understand your point here.

That's the point of the ending. It doesn't do the typical "happy ever after" Hollywood ending. It does give a "happy" ending (although that last sequence in open for debate), and at the same time, the sad ending (knowing that adult Elizabeth and Columbia will no longer exist). I guess this depends on your personal taste, do you prefer the cliche ending or the sad not expected ending. I personally prefer the latter because I'm tired of the typical ending in video games and movies. 

1)That doesn't mean that the booker's that kept anna would be happy either, unless for some arbitrary reason none of the alternate universes had booker or anna being unhappy. In Universes A) Some booker and elizabeth's would be happy some wouldn't, B) Wouldn't some elizabeths and booker inevitably end up with an unhappy life too? 

2) My issue is, Elizabeth's relationship was the best thing about the game for me. The quantum/time travel was well fairly well done, but not more so than a movie I would give 3.5 stars (Looper). It's obviously a preference. There was nothing wrong terribly wrong with the ending from a mechanical standpoint, and is really quite good for a videogame. Just imo, it abandoned the games strengths for an ending I've seen before though not frequently, that's my criticism.

To say I want a hollywood ending is idiotic, and non hollywood endings are really quite available to see.
Looper has an ending that's extremely similar to this, but was more emotionally satisfying and still had issues. 12 monkeys has an ending that's similar to this. Lust, Caution, Oldboy, Infernal Affairs, Pan's Labyrinth, Ghost In The shell, blade runner different story's with not typical endings that are my favorite movies. Stein's gate is visual novel game like thing, which has like 9 endings caused by various consequences of time traveling, specifying the rules a little more clearly.

ishiki said:

1)That doesn't mean that the booker's that kept anna would be happy either, unless for some arbitrary reason none of the alternate universes had booker or anna being unhappy. In Universes A) Some booker and elizabeth's would be happy some wouldn't, B) Wouldn't some elizabeths and booker inevitably end up with an unhappy life too? 

2) My issue is, Elizabeth's relationship was the best thing about the game for me. The quantum/time travel was well fairly well done, but not more so than a movie I would give 3.5 stars (Looper). It's obviously a preference. There was nothing wrong terribly wrong with the ending from a mechanical standpoint, and is really quite good for a videogame. Just imo, it abandoned the games strengths for an ending I've seen before though not frequently, that's my criticism.

To say I want a hollywood ending is idiotic, and non hollywood endings are really quite available to see.
Looper has an ending that's extremely similar to this, but was more emotionally satisfying and still had issues. 12 monkeys has an ending that's similar to this. Lust, Caution, Oldboy, Infernal Affairs, Pan's Labyrinth, Ghost In The shell, blade runner different story's with not typical endings that are my favorite movies. Stein's gate is visual novel game like thing, which has like 9 endings caused by various consequences of time traveling, specifying the rules much more clearly.

1) That's the thing about the multi universe thing, if a person is happy in one it doesn't mean the other is. There's probably millions of Bookers who are unhappy with Anna, but that's something we have to realize that will never change. But the point of the game is to stop the tortures and the kidnapping Comstock did to Elizabeth, that was the ultimate goal of the game. The other things are just questions that don't really have an answer. 

2) I agree that the relation between Booker and Elizabeth is amazing, and it's sad to know that the relation will never happen in the future, but that's the best for the characters. The relation was great yes, but at the expense of a crazy man who kept her daughter locked and torture her, not "knowing" each other like that is probably a happier solution.

Never watch Looper but I agree with some of the examples you mentioned (especially Pan's Labyrinth), one game that also has a mindfucked ending is 999 for the DS (9 hours 9 persons 9 doors) it's also a visual novel, I recommend it if you haven't played it.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Just so anyone knows because it appears I'm being extremely negative. I'd give this game a 9/10 because it is very great and one of my favorite games this gen. I'm currently playing it again in 1999 mode. What I've said, combined with some gameplay issues keeps it from being more than that for me atleast.

I can name a lot of things in my favorite games, that I wish would have been different. I just am very critical of everything for whatever reason :P.

I've just finished the game yesterday and I have one question:

Why is there one Elizabeth remaining at the end? Booker had his daughter in the "no baptism" timeline so if he dies at the baptism then there should be no Anna/Elizabeth... right?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Most flawed ending in a game I've ever seen. Although nobody understands it they call it a masterpiece. The complexity of the story is compensated with an infinite amount of plotholes.

TruckOSaurus said:

Why is there one Elizabeth remaining at the end? Booker had his daughter in the "no baptism" timeline so if he dies at the baptism then there should be no Anna/Elizabeth... right?

She may disappear at the end though. Like Inception because the noise still occurs indicating she disappears. But I guess after all that hard work they didn't want to confirm it was all for nothing.

Similarly, after the credits there was another scene with Booker and Anna, back in his office but with no Lutece there to take her. Perhaps this is the "victory" ending that Elizabeth was trying to acheive? I imagine we will get more in the DLC about that, though.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

LilChicken22 said:
Most flawed ending in a game I've ever seen. Although nobody understands it they call it a masterpiece. The complexity of the story is compensated with an infinite amount of plotholes.

Such as?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Conegamer said:
TruckOSaurus said:

She may disappear at the end though. Like Inception because the noise still occurs indicating she disappears. But I guess after all that hard work they didn't want to confirm it was all for nothing.

Similarly, after the credits there was another scene with Booker and Anna, back in his office but with no Lutece there to take her. Perhaps this is the "victory" ending that Elizabeth was trying to acheive? I imagine we will get more in the DLC about that, though.

I shouldn't have skipped the credits then!

Signature goes here!

As a big fan of TV show Fringe, I pretty much predicted most of the ending to Bioshock Infinite about half way through the game, especially how Comstock bought the child from a younger version of himself and that you in fact play a version of himself.

However, it was still an incredibly gripping last 30 mins and all the pieces of the puzzle fell very well together regardless of how much of the story I figured out before hand.

Alas, because I know how it would go down, the twist in the original Bioshock shocked me more. Excellent endings for both games.