By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 can be the rpg console of 2008

@naznatips.

Elitist nonsense aside which by the way is like the diaper rash of gaming. The question was will the 360 be the RPG console of this year. RPG being a very broad classification of games. The way saying sports games might be a broad classification. You can't summarily kick out baseball games, because they are not like football games. Basically you hijacked a thread, because you really didn't like where it was going. Further more you drug the DS into it when the question explicitly pertained to consoles only.

Generally speaking you are undervaluing the contributions of western developers in diversifying the genre. From Massive, to adaptive artificial intelligence. The western market is is many way pioneering entire new philosophies in Role Playing Games. Personally I adore real time free movement combat with instantaneous special performance. I adore true crafting systems, and full customization and experimentation. You really need to start delving deeper. I suggest you find a deep MMORPG to find out just how complex and rewarding a RPG can actually become. There is a reason millions of people own and play such games, and it might be part of why many RPGs are flagging.

You need to play Mass Effect that is all there is to it. The game is a new beast compared to KoTOR. The combat system alone is a massive departure. I am not going to explain the myriad differences to you that would be a thousand word monologue. Take the time and read a real review of the game rather then jumping to stupid conclusions. Yes I said it you jumped to a idiotic stupid conclusion, because Mass Effect also had a dialog wheel. Beyond that and the storyline the games don't have all that much in common. Your cherry picking a reason to call the game unoriginal. When the games are probably well over eighty percent different in how they are played. Most JRPG games couldn't be bothered to be that radically different from one another on a good day.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
dante said:
how are western rpgs alike at all

i cant find any similarities between fable and mass effect

except that there both good games

I never said Fable and Mass Effect were alike... I said Mass Effect and KOTOR were. They are. Mass Effect borrowed almost everything from Bioware's earlier work on KOTOR. What Fable is like is Baldur's Gate, Might and Magic, Diablo, Neverwinter Nights, Oblivion, and Morrowind.

I play a lot of RPGs, both Western and Japanese. It doesn't make these games bad, but their settings, art, and to a slightly lesser extent their stories are derivative. Maybe you are just too young to have played enough of these games to see this. I don't really know, but I have experienced more diversity in gameplay, setting, art, and plot in Japanese RPGs than in Western RPGs. Again, this doesn't make them inherintly better. Just means they have more variety.

Most wRPGs and jRPGs seem derivative, but I think you are wrong when you say jRPGs are more diversive.  Japanese RPG's are more derivative in terms of art style, gameplay, setting and plot:

99% of the jRpg's characters are anime-styled,  and the setting usually doesn't range far from the typical european-like fantasy setting or feudal setting. On the other hand the wRPG's aren't much better either, but they still are more diversive, ranging from Medieval, to Tolkien-like fantasy, to Futuristic Sci-fi settings, and wRPG's don't just confine to 1 art style for the characters, giving them a realistic look, and sometimes a more cartoonish look.

In Gameplay, wRPGs are more diversive than jRPGs by default, by the sheer force of PC interface: from Turn-based such as Fallout, to RT /w Pause like Baldur's Gate, to Fast clicking Diablo, to shooter-like Mass Effect, to the addictive WoW gameplay.

And last, but not least, the Plot. wRPGs are usually more open-ended, so I think we should say Plot/Lore, than just Plot. naznatips, no jRPG can even compare to the great wRPGs in that regard. Planescape: Torment, the game of highest order when it comes to writing and complex story, is brilliantly original, and Imo, no jRPGs has surpassed it (or any other game for that matter). If there is 1 thing that characterizes the wRPGs above jRPGs it's the Plot/Lore. The grittiness of Fallout, the Black Isle-quality NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayers, the ambiguous Kotor 2, the lore of Morrowind, the grayness of The Witcher, etc...

honestly, i'm not a big fan of JRPG's. two reasons. they don't have that same freedom you get get in RPG's like oblivion and fable. secondly, i reallllly dislike turn-based games. i mean eternal sonata's turn based gameplay was alright, but i honestly can't stand games like lost odyssey or final fantasy.

Currently Playing: Gears 2, World at War, GTA IV, Banjo Nuts and Bolts

The Greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

naznatips said:

I never said Fable and Mass Effect were alike... I said Mass Effect and KOTOR were.  They are.  Mass Effect borrowed almost everything from Bioware's earlier work on KOTOR.  What Fable is like is Baldur's Gate, Might and Magic, Diablo, Neverwinter Nights, Oblivion, and Morrowind.

I don't understand how you can call Oblivion and Baldur's Gate the same.  For example in Oblivion you control one character while Baldur's Gate 2 has a party system.  Oblivion's combat system is arcade like while Baldur's Gate 2's is not.  Oblivion is played first or third person while Baldur's Gate 2 is played with a isometric perspective.  The entire presentation in both games is completely different as well (skills, etc).  About the only thing they share in common is a fantasy medieval setting but even that is presented differently as many of Baldur's Gate 2's settings are shown as very non-human compared to Oblivion's.

Also a game like Diablo is very different from Baldur's Gate 2.  You then mention Mass Effect and KOTOR which are themselves much different in presentation from Baldur's Gate 2 and Oblivion.  Add to that games like Fallout and Planescape Torment and Western RPGs are definitely different from one another.  Compare the combat system in Mass Effect to the one in Diablo or Might and Magic for example. 

You also seem to ignore games like Wizardry 7 and the Ultimas which were as different from each other as night and day.  Wizardry 6,7, and 8 for example had a setting that featured both extreme high tech and extreme low tech in the same fantasy setting (some races flying in spaceships while others are using spears).  None of the other WRPGs seemed to feature anything like that.

I thought this would be a good time to revive this thread with all the new RPG's announced for the 360.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

Watch out. Necrothreading is dead.

On the other hand, thread title=confirmed.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Home consoles=Yes
Everything=No
Pc and Ds have that title.

starcraft said:

I was actually looking for your thread about the best RPG's being on 360 but I think that might of been a little much. I understand there are still a few poeple that are depressed their console *cough*PS3*cough* isn't getting the rpg support they expected.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

How can it not be, there are barely any others coming out, and there are tons for the Xbox

Goddbless said:
starcraft said:

I was actually looking for your thread about the best RPG's being on 360 but I think that might of been a little much. I understand there are still a few poeple that are depressed their console *cough*PS3*cough* isn't getting the rpg support they expected.

LOL.

Seriously though.  Amazing JRPG's aside, Fable 2 = end of this thread. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS