After seeing much nonsense, like :
- a MMORPG on PC compared to JRPG on console for popularity, in a thread about consoles RPG
- people that try to say rhetorically which of WRPG or JRPG is the traditional RPG like it's a pissing contest or like it would make a difference
- people trying to make an argument that JRPG aren't RPG, which won't achieve anything either
- people that say XB360 JRPG didn't fail in Japan and worldwide (really these people must be desperate)
- people trying to say that japanese SRPG are not JRPG, or even RPG, and people trying to say that games made by non-japanese or outside Japan can be JRPG.
- basically, people that try to make excuses for the failure of XB360 JRPG, then as it doesn't work, try to say the XB360 will have the most JRPG this year (mixing it in a global RPG moniker, so that we don't notice), then as it doesn't work, try to downplay JRPG as much as they can, then as it doesn't work, try to make WRPG appear like heaven for "true" RPG fans
After seeing all that and having a good laugh, I'll just add to the ambient nonsense and defense forces that are out in full force (especially the XB360 and WRPG ones) by stating my opinion of JRPG fan since years :
- My hunch that the Wii would become the JRPG king before the middle of this year will probably come true, and that it will be the JRPG king this gen seems a given. There's already too many JRPG for me to play them all this gen anyway, the fact that 'ive still to finish those from last gen notwithstanding.
- I'll pray, like I've done since Ogre Battle, that my beloved japanese SRPG go on coming regularly (the current pace is enough for me). Some people really didn't know this was a small niche ? SRPG are even more niche than JRPG.
- JRPG fans are pretty knowledgeable, as they have to be. Even in Japan I think. To think that you need at least some understanding of japanese to enjoy a lot of JRPG that are never released out of Japan should be a hint. I mean, there's no point in trying to BS a JRPG fan as to what is better for him. I will never for the life of me buy a WRPG again, I've still has not finished BGII and its extension (that I bought at launch, years ago) or the NWN 2 last main campaigns. Some people try to convince JRPG lovers that WRPG are better, which is nonsense, as it's a matter of opinion. I know WRPG pretty well, they bore me to no end. I've also played true RPG (pen & paper) for years (Call of Chthulu, Toons, D&D, AD&D, AD&D 2, Star Wars, ...), and I find the same feelings in JRPG, despite what people say. Unlike in WRPG were I find only the stat part, and the worst and most boring part of RPG ever : grosbillism. Strangely enough, I don't feel grosbillism in JRPG, even when grinding.
Still, enjoy the RPG you like on the console you like. But don't think that because you believe the XB360 will be the "RPG console" in 2008, JRPG lovers will flock to it. JRPG lovers doesn't mean Toriyama lover BTW, far from it.