By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 can be the rpg console of 2008

gebx said:
@ Naz

- The Last Remnant oops
- Operation Darkness not an RPG
- Apocalypse: Desire Next k
- Far East of Eden Ziria k

and then add the WRPG's (It's an RPG thread, lets not discrimanate)

- Too Human
- Mass Effect
- Oblivion
- Fable 2
- Fallout 3
- Two Worlds

and finally why not add MMO RPG's ??
- Warhammer Online
- Age of Conan

As far as the WRPGs go, who's descriminating?  It simply makes no sense to discuss both forever.  They are barely related.

Around the Network
naznatips said:

Released and Announced JRPGs by Platform:

Wii

Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
King's Story
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden
Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 3
Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk
Monster Hunter 3
Sword of Legendia
Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Opoona
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Young King and the Promised Land
Baroque

PS3

Enchanted Arms
Mist of Chaos
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
The Last Remnant
White Knight Story
Eternal Sonata
Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles
Disgaea 3

Xbox 360

Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Enchanted Arms
Phantasy Star Universe
Infinite Undiscovery
Blue Dragon 2

PSP:

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Star Ocean
Star Ocean 2
Tales of Eternia
Jeanne D'Arc
Brave Story: New Traveler
Breath of Fire III
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
Monster Hunter Freedom
Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd
Legend of Heroes
Legend of Heroes 2
Legend of Heroes 3
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

DS:

Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest Hereos: Rocket Slime
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimmoire of the Rift
Front Mission 1st
Font Mission 2089: Border of Madness
Heroes of Mana
Children of Mana
It's a Wonderful World (The World Ends With You outside Japan)
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
Tales of Innocence
Sonic RPG (Western and Japanese Collaboration)
Inazuma Eleven
Blue Dragon Plus
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Fire Emblem: Dragon of Darkness and Sword of Light
Etrian Odyssey
Digimon World DS
Digimon World: Sunburst/Moonlight
Luminous Arc
Luminous Arc 2 Will
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2
Pokemon Ranger
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Rune Factory 2
Xenosaga I & II
Lunar DS
Lunar Knights
Contact
Izuna
Etrian Odyssey 2
Egg Monster Hero
Shiren the Wanderer DS
Magical Starsign
Mega Man Star Force (Leo, Dragon, Pegasus)
Mega Man Star Force 2 (Berserk X Shinobi and Berserk X Dinosaur)
Summon Night: Twin Age
Tales of the Tempest
Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal
LostMagic
Spectrobes
Spectrobes 2
Soma Bringer
Fire Emblem DS

Conclusion: Calling anything but the DS the RPG console is a joke. It's not really fair to combine Western and Japanese RPGs because they are very different in style, gameplay, and audience. If we really want to compare home consoles, and leave out the DS, the Wii has more JRPGs announced for it in under a year on the market than the PS3 and 360 combined. That's what comes with being market leader in Japan.

JRPGs are a niche genre and other than Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest don't sell well. Basically no JRPGs other than Final Fantasy and maybe a couple others by Square have any chance of making a profit on the PS3 or 360, and there are a lot of RPGs in Japan that aren't made by Square... they are all on the Wii, as well as a few by Square.  Basically the only JRPGs on the 360 and PS3 are paid for by Sony and Microsoft, or were developed long before it became apparent that the PS3 and 360 are largely irrelevant in Japan.

@ Naznatips...nice list

Here are a couple more ps3 rpg's you should add...First 1 will definitely make it to US IMO & second one maybe... or you can always import because ps3 games are region free.

Steambot Chronicles 2....First was a lot of fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQMuMSiZgfY

Tears to Tiara

I can probably name another 8-12 games or so, but most of them are strategy role playing games such as Record of Agarest War or kid oriented like Free Realms or Angel Love Online....I'm a bit of an RPG fanatic :)

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

To be fair Dragon Lord, Leaf and Idea Factory have never ever published a game outside of Japan. I'm a bit of an RPG freak myself. ;)

Yeah, but games are region free so I import them all the time...and I'm about positive Steambot Chronicles will come to the US.

DragonLord said:
Yeah, but games are region free so I import them all the time...and I'm about positive Steambot Chronicles will come to the US.

I agree, Steambot Chronicles should be.

Around the Network

You forgot a few on psp but thats ok.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
You forgot a few on psp but thats ok.

The list is fairly old. I made it in early December.  I'm sure some have been announced since then.  I've updated it with a few Japan only games that weren't on there before too.  

naznatips said:

Released and Announced JRPGs by Platform:

Wii

Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
King's Story
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden
Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 3
Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk
Monster Hunter 3
Sword of Legendia
Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Opoona
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon 2
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Young King and the Promised Land
Baroque

PS3

Enchanted Arms
Mist of Chaos
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
The Last Remnant
White Knight Story
Eternal Sonata
Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles
Disgaea 3

Xbox 360

Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Enchanted Arms
Phantasy Star Universe
Infinite Undiscovery
Blue Dragon 2
The Last Remnant
Apocalypse: Desire Next
Far East of Eden Ziria

PSP:

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Star Ocean
Star Ocean 2
Tales of Eternia
Jeanne D'Arc
Brave Story: New Traveler
Breath of Fire III
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
Monster Hunter Freedom
Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd
Legend of Heroes
Legend of Heroes 2
Legend of Heroes 3
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

DS:

Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest Hereos: Rocket Slime
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimmoire of the Rift
Front Mission 1st
Font Mission 2089: Border of Madness
Heroes of Mana
Children of Mana
It's a Wonderful World (The World Ends With You outside Japan)
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
Tales of Innocence
Sonic RPG (Western and Japanese Collaboration)
Inazuma Eleven
Blue Dragon Plus
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Fire Emblem: Dragon of Darkness and Sword of Light
Etrian Odyssey
Digimon World DS
Digimon World: Sunburst/Moonlight
Luminous Arc
Luminous Arc 2 Will
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2
Pokemon Ranger
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Rune Factory 2
Xenosaga I & II
Lunar DS
Lunar Knights
Contact
Izuna
Etrian Odyssey 2
Egg Monster Hero
Shiren the Wanderer DS
Magical Starsign
Mega Man Star Force (Leo, Dragon, Pegasus)
Mega Man Star Force 2 (Berserk X Shinobi and Berserk X Dinosaur)
Summon Night: Twin Age
Tales of the Tempest
Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal
LostMagic
Spectrobes
Spectrobes 2
Soma Bringer
Fire Emblem DS

Conclusion: Calling anything but the DS the RPG console is a joke. It's not really fair to combine Western and Japanese RPGs because they are very different in style, gameplay, and audience. If we really want to compare home consoles, and leave out the DS, the Wii has more JRPGs announced for it in under a year on the market than the PS3 and 360 combined. That's what comes with being market leader in Japan.

JRPGs are a niche genre and other than Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest don't sell well. Basically no JRPGs other than Final Fantasy and maybe a couple others by Square have any chance of making a profit on the PS3 or 360, and there are a lot of RPGs in Japan that aren't made by Square... they are all on the Wii, as well as a few by Square. Basically the only JRPGs on the 360 and PS3 are paid for by Sony and Microsoft, or were developed long before it became apparent that the PS3 and 360 are largely irrelevant in Japan.

That is not entirely true.  JRPGs have been mainstream since FF7.  You just think they are niche because a lot of them don't sell well.  Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tales, Star Ocean, Shin Megami Tensei are popular RPG series.  The reason why many don't sell is because they are derivative and people don't have a reason to hype them.  For example, The Last Remnant is hyped because of the large scale battles and White Knight Chronicles is hyped because of it's innovative battle system and beautiful visuals.  On the other hand, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey don't do anything new but were hyped because they were being developed by Mistwalker in which the creator of Final Fantasy is the president of.  The character designs were done by Akira Toriyama(Blue Dragon) and Takehiko Inoue(Lost odyssey) who are famous mangaka in Japan.  The composer for both of them was Nobuo Uematsu who was a Final Fantasy mainstray.

Lol, overall this thread is sort of ridiculous (but it IS fun to list bunches of RPG's!  It's the arguing about which is the better line-up that is a bit ridiculous)...it reminds me of Jr. High kids boasting of pecker size in the locker room. (No insult intended if you are in Jr. High and do that!)

1.  ALL the consoles have some great RPG's coming to them and all have some low budget RPG's coming to them. (Lol, the reason I own ALL consoles and enjoy the best of all worlds)  Also keep in mind that quantity doesn't mean quality--e.g. Angel Love Online looks really dumb on the ps3. 

2.  Some are Western RPG's & some are JRPG's & some are SRPGs' (which I think should be technically separated from JRPG's)

3.  Western RPG's & Action games are blending more and more.  Where is the line drawn?  Is Folklore an RPG?  An "Action" RPG?  Is Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom an RPG?  Is Too Human an RPG?  A better classification system is needed because Traditional RPG's are being over-run by Action games being termed as Western RPG.  Some people assume if it's fantasy and has swords, etc...it's an RPG, not the case.

e.g.  Someone tried to argue that Project Offset was an RPG with me on ps3forums...it's a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER in a fantasy based world!  My goodness!

Riachu said:

That is not entirely true. JRPGs have been mainstream since FF7. You just think they are niche because a lot of them don't sell well. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tales, Star Ocean, Shin Megami Tensei are popular RPG series. The reason why many don't sell is because they are derivative and people don't have a reason to hype them. For example, The Last Remnant is hyped because of the large scale battles and White Knight Chronicles is hyped because of it's innovative battle system and beautiful visuals. On the other hand, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey don't do anything new but were hyped because they were being developed by Mistwalker in which the creator of Final Fantasy is the president of. The character designs were done by Akira Toriyama(Blue Dragon) and Takehiko Inoue(Lost odyssey) who are famous mangaka in Japan. The composer for both of them was Nobuo Uematsu who was a Final Fantasy mainstray.

You are misinformed. Dragon Quest sells under a million worldwide outside of Japan. Tales has only ever had 1 game break 1 million units sold worldwide. Shin Megami Tensei has never broke 1 million units sold worldwide. Even in Japan RPGs are by and large low budget and low sales productions. This was true last generation and it's true this generation as well. I know my RPG history hehe. I've played JRPGs practically relgiously since the SNES.

The JRPG market has been shrinking at an easily trackable rate since FFVII, and this generation could represent as much as a 50% drop in sales for the genre as a whole. JRPGs are niche, even in Japan, other than a few main series. Budget constraints are forcing the majority of new RPG development on the DS and Wii.