By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How does Sony have two huge first party FPS this fall and MS have 0?

TWRoO said:
Perhaps because x-box games are not announced 1 or 2 years before release?

Did I win? Did I take the bait?

took the words right out of my mouth.  360 doesn't have to hype it's games up years in advance because it already has an impressive library that you can play now, not a promise of potential eventually somewhere down the line after a series of delays.

Around the Network

What about the Wii?

Regardless if Sony's hand was forced regarding projects that are wayyy down the pipeline -- it would be really nice to know what MS and N have planned for '08.

I want Gears 2 at least announced so I know I can to expect it Christmas '09 on PC :P

@ChronotriggerJM

Actually Rare is quite savvy in the genre they proved that with Goldeneye which is still considered to be one of the gold standards for the genre. That said they have had experience with the Perfect Dark series, and more recently they did some work on Halo 3. So in answer to your question yes they do have a developer that can make FPS and has had loads of experience with the genre.

Dodece said:
@ChronotriggerJM

Actually Rare is quite savvy in the genre they proved that with Goldeneye which is still considered to be one of the gold standards for the genre. That said they have had experience with the Perfect Dark series, and more recently they did some work on Halo 3. So in answer to your question yes they do have a developer that can make FPS and has had loads of experience with the genre.

All of the great Rare devlopers for FPS that did goldeneye left to make thier own company, and that is Free Radical (Time Splitters) which have a Ps3 exclusive called Haze out sometime this year making 3 FPS for ps3 in 08 with high expectations.

for all thoes with the crazy idea that MS and nintendo are hiding info on new games to be released for this year. you are full of S!#*. There hasen't been a great game that the hype train didn't start atleast 1 year ahead of time in a really long time. Every big ms game of last year was known about since the 360 launch. Which is the reason why people said that MS E3 last year was lame cause they showed only the things we already new about. Im sure they will show new games at GDC and E3 this year but thoes new games shown will most likely be out in 09.  

Around the Network
Dodece said:
@ChronotriggerJM

Yah I forgot about rare :3 although with the members from Free Radical missing from the original goldeneye staff I worry about that company's quality :( Perfect Dark Zero bas pretty bad :( So are we 2 for 2 then on internal studio's? That doesn't sound right, there has to be more xD

Well Bioshock's sequal/prequal (?) is going to be announced, I'm not sure what year that releases though :/ 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

grimygunz said:
Dodece said:
@ChronotriggerJM

All of the great Rare devlopers for FPS that did goldeneye left to make thier own company, and that is Free Radical (Time Splitters) which have a Ps3 exclusive called Haze out sometime this year making 3 FPS for ps3 in 08 with high expectations.

for all thoes with the crazy idea that MS and nintendo are hiding info on new games to be released for this year. you are full of S!#*. There hasen't been a great game that the hype train didn't start atleast 1 year ahead of time in a really long time. Every big ms game of last year was known about since the 360 launch. Which is the reason why people said that MS E3 last year was lame cause they showed only the things we already new about. Im sure they will show new games at GDC and E3 this year but thoes new games shown will most likely be out in 09.

Yah I thought that was Free Radical, just wasn't completely sure lol.

I agree with the Hype thing, I don't doubt they are going to show some un-announced titles, but with as much as Sony's been boasting, I'm pretty sure they will too lol. 2008 is going to be a good year xD 

Rare would be the only studio I can think of that has FPS titles under it's belt.

But it wouldn't be hard for Microsoft to find a way to either bankroll a few more exclusives like it did with Gears of War, or just friggin' buy Epic out.

Microsoft still has the weakest of the big 3 in terms of developer prowess - they just have Ensemble, Lionhead, Rare and Turn 10 - whilst they've released Bungie and Bizzarre from their stranglehold.

I would hope to think that maybe MS, in the near future, will either buy some studios, or create more exclusive partnerships like they have with Epic and Mistwaker to produce great exclusive content.

Or for all we know, MS could develop an exclusive partnership with EA, and own the world.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Jandre002 said:
HappySqurriel said:
  1. Killzone 2 is one of the most overhyped games of the generation. It will (likely) be released and be overshadowed by Resistance 2 as well as several third party games.
  2. Microsoft (and Nintendo) don't need to be hyping games that will be out in 12 months because they want the games they have already released to continue selling well.

First part I agree with. Second one, Im not really sure. Unless your talking about Halo 3, I dont think either Bioshock or Mass Effect continue to "sell well" but I guess thats all opinion.

No one wants to accept that maybe Microsoft's lineup is that stellar afterall. The hype last year was Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect and Half:Life with was "exclusive" do to poor PS3 quality.

But really, Mass Effect has a lower attach rate than Uncharted, and is outsold weekly with lower fanbase, Half Life didn't even break 1,000,000 sold, Bioshock(GOTY:360) was outsold by COD4 PS3 in half the time. So while they might have enjoyed sales from software this winter, I really doubt they are holding back game release announcements in fear of stalling sales

Such great form and delivery. You must be a World Champion Cherry Picker!!!

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Yah no doubt MS could hire some studio's, but at the same time it's so much nicer to reap the full reward from sales :P Sony doesn't "own" Insomniac games though, but I think they own Gorilla. Maybe that's why they're going all out on the budget xD Any sale made means they get the whole pie :P