By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How does Sony have two huge first party FPS this fall and MS have 0?

Ummm. I believe the year has just begun. It's impossible to say that MS won't have shooters this year... That's like, the Xbox 360s entire library, why would that change?

Around the Network

those are 2 damn fine looking games!

sharky said:

Killzone 2 and Resistance 2. 

How can MS, the supposed FPS kings, on the supposed king of FPS systems the Xbox, let this happen?

Sure there will be Gears of War 2, kind of a FPS..but this is major error on MS part. Americans love FPS, plain and simple. "Weird" games like Mass Effect or Alan Wake are fine and good, but the American public doesn't embrace them like FPS. 

MS sure is stupid sometimes..unless the unlikely event they spring Perfect Dark Zero 2 on us or something, which I doubt.  The banner will be left to only be carried by third party titles, such as perhaps COD5? Not comforting really..

You could have said the same thing in fall of 2007, Sony didn't have any great first party FPS's

1) MS spend 2007 hyping the games coming out in 2007. Sony had few big games in 2007, so they've spent the last 6 months (or more) hyping the 2008 lineup. This is not to say that MS does have a huge lineup that they will reveal, just that they haven't tipped their hand yet at all.

2) MS doesn't need more shooters. It has plenty to tide over average FPS fans already. They know they are being criticized for lack of variety, and it would make sense for developers to address that issue.

weezy said:

Thats hilarious! :D

Around the Network

Just because gears isnt first person doesn't mean it's not in the same class, MS also hasn't announced their entire lineup, which could include PD2 for all we know.

Also, when is killzone 2 due out? I have a weird feeling it won't make it out if it ends up being too near resistance 2.   

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.

@ Weezy: That pic is awesome, just plain awesome.

@OP: Yeah, we all know Killzone will be the most fantastic game we've ever played, just like the original.... oh wait.. that's not right... Let me rephrase that, we all know Killzone 2 will be another mega hit like Lair.. oh wait.. Lair was another overhyped game that turned out to be nothing..

At least with Resistance 2 you could make the case that the original was a good game and it is made by insomniac (a studio notorious for 2 things: 1) making great games and 2) having a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality when it comes to their games).

You claim that MS is stupid at times, did you not notice that MS has already taken America, why would it want to entice gamers they already have? Why not produce games like Mass Effect and Alan Wake that european gamers are likely to take notice of AND why not produce JRPG's that would (shock shock) entice Japan.

Btw, 360 is the king of FPS, 3 games (R2, Haze, KZ2) ain't gonna change that.

Dodece said:
Once again for perhaps the hundredth time. Neither Microsoft or Nintendo has been all that forthcoming with their releases later this year. Both are sure to have surprises for us over the coming months. Sony on the other hand was backed into a corner, and was basically intimidated into throwing everything they had at the market they laid their cupboards bare as an attempt to keep up with a situation spiraling out of their control.

Microsoft has plans, and Nintendo has plans. We don't know what those plans are, but judging by your apparent ignorance your going to be floored by them. You really think that Microsoft isn't going to have at least two AAA FPS style games by the end of the year? You really think that Nintendo won't have a Starfox, Kirby, Waverace, or Pilotwings. I think Nintendo can swing at the very least four of their best franchises into place for this coming fall and winter.

Right now its a game of whats in the box. You surely don't know. Neither does anyone else. Your basically saying that Microsoft and Nintendo have empty boxes. Something tells me they don't its hard to imagine they have no plans for the second half of this year. They aren't just going to lie down for Sony. They are going to bring big guns. I can't wait for the unloading personally. I think Microsoft is going to bring some real heat at the GDC, and both them and Nintendo are bound to have big E3 press events.

I dissagree with your theory here.

There are games, then there are console defining huge exclusive games.

You can not ignore the fact that Both Nintendo and Microsoft have already put out huge huge games.

Games that would have possibly competed with Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, Killzone, Resistance. .etc.. 

Of course Microsoft and Nintendo will have new game announcements in the coming months,(as will Sony) and they will get hyped over time and become huge sellers all the same.

But Sony is yet to release their equivilant of Halo or SMG, can you recognize this fact? 

And Sony will show up at GDC, E3 just as big as the others. With new games, and with news regarding their big guns.

Even though this thread is flame bait in its purest form, the fact still remains that As of right now Sony has the upper hand, (as far as the OP topic is concerned)

I do agree with the basic concept that no one would see it coming if Microsoft announced an exclusive rare shooter though. Even this would have to climb the mountain of hype that is SONY. 

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

There are many FPSs coming to the 360 (how many does a person really need?) so I'm actually happy that they decided to work on other genres with games like Banjo Kazooie 3, Halo Wars, Fable 2, etc.

ultraslick said:
Dodece said:
Once again for perhaps the hundredth time. Neither Microsoft or Nintendo has been all that forthcoming with their releases later this year. Both are sure to have surprises for us over the coming months. Sony on the other hand was backed into a corner, and was basically intimidated into throwing everything they had at the market they laid their cupboards bare as an attempt to keep up with a situation spiraling out of their control.

Microsoft has plans, and Nintendo has plans. We don't know what those plans are, but judging by your apparent ignorance your going to be floored by them. You really think that Microsoft isn't going to have at least two AAA FPS style games by the end of the year? You really think that Nintendo won't have a Starfox, Kirby, Waverace, or Pilotwings. I think Nintendo can swing at the very least four of their best franchises into place for this coming fall and winter.

Right now its a game of whats in the box. You surely don't know. Neither does anyone else. Your basically saying that Microsoft and Nintendo have empty boxes. Something tells me they don't its hard to imagine they have no plans for the second half of this year. They aren't just going to lie down for Sony. They are going to bring big guns. I can't wait for the unloading personally. I think Microsoft is going to bring some real heat at the GDC, and both them and Nintendo are bound to have big E3 press events.

I dissagree with your theory here.

There are games, then there are console defining huge exclusive games.

You can not ignore the fact that Both Nintendo and Microsoft have already put out huge huge games.

Games that would have possibly competed with Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, Killzone, Resistance. .etc.. 

Of course Microsoft and Nintendo will have new game announcements in the coming months,(as will Sony) and they will get hyped over time and become huge sellers all the same.

But Sony is yet to release their equivilant of Halo or SMG, can you recognize this fact? 

And Sony will show up at GDC, E3 just as big as the others. With new games, and with news regarding their big guns.

Even though this thread is flame bait in its purest form, the fact still remains that As of right now Sony has the upper hand, (as far as the OP topic is concerned)

I do agree with the basic concept that no one would see it coming if Microsoft announced an exclusive rare shooter though. Even this would have to climb the mountain of hype that is SONY. 

I think it is highly questionable that "Sony has the upper hand" but even if you assume that they do does it realy matter?

Gears of War, Brain Training, Nintendogs, and Assassin's Creed are all games which saw massive sales and are brand-new IPs; and games like Animal Crossing and Mario Party are both games from small series which recently have seen massive sales. At the same time Everybody's Golf, Dynasty Warriors and Virtual Fighter are all series which were recently very popular but have seen drastically lower sales on their newest versions.