By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How does Sony have two huge first party FPS this fall and MS have 0?

this is because Microsoft already has Halo 3, Gears of War, etc. out already. Its already played its big guns, while sony is saving them up for mid-late 2008.

Around the Network

I believe that microsoft is hiding its titles, they are surely working on some more games, and they should be announced at GDC or E3. Its likely they will be exclusive ip's(I hope new ips) as well that we do not know about, just wait and see.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Dodece said:
Once again for perhaps the hundredth time. Neither Microsoft or Nintendo has been all that forthcoming with their releases later this year. Both are sure to have surprises for us over the coming months. Sony on the other hand was backed into a corner, and was basically intimidated into throwing everything they had at the market they laid their cupboards bare as an attempt to keep up with a situation spiraling out of their control.

Microsoft has plans, and Nintendo has plans. We don't know what those plans are, but judging by your apparent ignorance your going to be floored by them. You really think that Microsoft isn't going to have at least two AAA FPS style games by the end of the year? You really think that Nintendo won't have a Starfox, Kirby, Waverace, or Pilotwings. I think Nintendo can swing at the very least four of their best franchises into place for this coming fall and winter.

Right now its a game of whats in the box. You surely don't know. Neither does anyone else. Your basically saying that Microsoft and Nintendo have empty boxes. Something tells me they don't its hard to imagine they have no plans for the second half of this year. They aren't just going to lie down for Sony. They are going to bring big guns. I can't wait for the unloading personally. I think Microsoft is going to bring some real heat at the GDC, and both them and Nintendo are bound to have big E3 press events.

i disagree.

sony has the most 1st party studios (more then nintendo and microsoft combined) so no way have they showed everything they had. microsoft will be showing good things at e3 and so will nintendo but no one is going to match the NEW games sony is going to be showing. only about half of sonys 1st party games was shown and for the later half there will be more. sony will have the best line up this year and thats that

MS may not have a huge list of exclusives but so far this generation the exclusives ms has had have been pretty good. Sony still has some announced games no doubt as well. We still have no idea what the ico team has been cooking up. We dont know what infamous is. We dont know what heavy rain is. And besides half a level shown in kz2 we still dont know what kz2 is capable of (if anyhting). MS, Nintendo, and sony all have games to announce and or explain so its going to be a great e3/ gdc for everyone. And yes i was cherry picking with a sony bias, so sue me.

Dno said:
Dodece said:
Once again for perhaps the hundredth time. Neither Microsoft or Nintendo has been all that forthcoming with their releases later this year. Both are sure to have surprises for us over the coming months. Sony on the other hand was backed into a corner, and was basically intimidated into throwing everything they had at the market they laid their cupboards bare as an attempt to keep up with a situation spiraling out of their control.

Microsoft has plans, and Nintendo has plans. We don't know what those plans are, but judging by your apparent ignorance your going to be floored by them. You really think that Microsoft isn't going to have at least two AAA FPS style games by the end of the year? You really think that Nintendo won't have a Starfox, Kirby, Waverace, or Pilotwings. I think Nintendo can swing at the very least four of their best franchises into place for this coming fall and winter.

Right now its a game of whats in the box. You surely don't know. Neither does anyone else. Your basically saying that Microsoft and Nintendo have empty boxes. Something tells me they don't its hard to imagine they have no plans for the second half of this year. They aren't just going to lie down for Sony. They are going to bring big guns. I can't wait for the unloading personally. I think Microsoft is going to bring some real heat at the GDC, and both them and Nintendo are bound to have big E3 press events.

i disagree.

sony has the most 1st party studios (more then nintendo and microsoft combined) so no way have they showed everything they had. microsoft will be showing good things at e3 and so will nintendo but no one is going to match the NEW games sony is going to be showing. only about half of sonys 1st party games was shown and for the later half there will be more. sony will have the best line up this year and thats that

Sony has a lot of studios, but how many good studios do they have?

A game like Lair, Genji, Untold Legends or NBA 07/08 are not good and do not sell well; Sony would be better off selling or restructuring most of these development teams (and focusing on their quality developers) rather than spending money to continue to develop crap which doesn't sell well.

Around the Network
Griffin said:

Resistance2 has a fall 2008 release date, it should ship in November, Killzone 2 still has no release date. Alan wake should be really interesting, i remember their trailers, with the lighthouse on the water and the shots over the lake and the mountain/forest road pics, the game looked very impressive.

Resistance 2 hasn't been delayed yet, so expect it to be delayed at least 6 months.  Maybe a year.

Killzone 2 sounds like it could be in some sort of developmental trouble.  It was supposed to be out right about now and it seems as though we've seen nothing of the game.

I just wanna throw this in the unannounced sony game(s), twisted metal ps3, its coming, i garuntee it. Im not a twisted metal fan but back in the ps1/ early ps2 days it was somewhat popular.

@ultraslick

Your bias is truly troubling, but it also highlights how little you actually think of the current PS3 library. In answer to your question Ratchet was to be the counter to Mario, and Unreal Tournament was supposed to be the counter to Halo 3. Notice how they are the same genres, and notice how close they fell to their rivals.

The Ratchet, and Clank series is the Super Mario of PS platforms. That is their answer to Mario. From my understanding they are usually of a high quality, and are usually highly rated. That was the Sony counter punch. I know you must be annoyed that it fell on deaf ears, but the game was a incredibly solid effort. The problem is that nobody can beat Mario he is the god of his particular genre.

Unreal Tournament a series know for its multi player with strong brand recognition. Sounds like a contender against a certain green armored soldier to me. Yes the delays probably hurt the title when compared to its rival, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the intent of Sony for it to rival the good old chief in the market place.

You talk about future PS3 announcements at the upcoming shows, but you ignore a few major problems. The first problem was mentioned Sony unloaded a great many secret projects last year. Most which would not make it to market for well over a year perhaps even two years. Second Sony has lost a step in the area of developer confidence. Nintendo tore them a new one, and Microsoft actually beat them in the market. With the lowest user base of all the platforms its easy to see why it might be hard for them to secure exclusive third party rights based on position alone. Finally we have our old friend development costs which are still much higher on the PS3, and require developers to sell a large number of games to reach profitability.

Sony smashed their piggy bank of secrets. They came in third last year. Their console is the most expensive to develop for. They don't even have the large user base cushions their rivals have. The result and give me a drum roll please. Sony isn't going to have the same kind of third party presence that Nintendo is going to get through its astronomical sales, or the kind that Microsoft is getting with its almost obscene attach rate. Which means Sony probably has to pay for its third party exclusives through the teeth, and they are hardly in a position to spend even more money.

By the way before you say first party developers. I would add that I could list off a dozen Sony studios that rapid fire only the finest crap. They have a few good studios, but the massive majority of their studios are not what you would call quality developers.

You know it seems every manufacturer needs quality third party support. That was the problem with the Dreamcast it didn't have a lot of that. Well maybe not Nintendo, but who said life was fair. Sony most certainly cannot hold its own on first party titles if thats what your thinking.

Dodece said:
@ultraslick

Your bias is truly troubling, but it also highlights how little you actually think of the current PS3 library. In answer to your question Ratchet was to be the counter to Mario, and Unreal Tournament was supposed to be the counter to Halo 3. Notice how they are the same genres, and notice how close they fell to their rivals.

The Ratchet, and Clank series is the Super Mario of PS platforms. That is their answer to Mario. From my understanding they are usually of a high quality, and are usually highly rated. That was the Sony counter punch. I know you must be annoyed that it fell on deaf ears, but the game was a incredibly solid effort. The problem is that nobody can beat Mario he is the god of his particular genre.

Unreal Tournament a series know for its multi player with strong brand recognition. Sounds like a contender against a certain green armored soldier to me. Yes the delays probably hurt the title when compared to its rival, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the intent of Sony for it to rival the good old chief in the market place.

You talk about future PS3 announcements at the upcoming shows, but you ignore a few major problems. The first problem was mentioned Sony unloaded a great many secret projects last year. Most which would not make it to market for well over a year perhaps even two years. Second Sony has lost a step in the area of developer confidence. Nintendo tore them a new one, and Microsoft actually beat them in the market. With the lowest user base of all the platforms its easy to see why it might be hard for them to secure exclusive third party rights based on position alone. Finally we have our old friend development costs which are still much higher on the PS3, and require developers to sell a large number of games to reach profitability.

Sony smashed their piggy bank of secrets. They came in third last year. Their console is the most expensive to develop for. They don't even have the large user base cushions their rivals have. The result and give me a drum roll please. Sony isn't going to have the same kind of third party presence that Nintendo is going to get through its astronomical sales, or the kind that Microsoft is getting with its almost obscene attach rate. Which means Sony probably has to pay for its third party exclusives through the teeth, and they are hardly in a position to spend even more money.

By the way before you say first party developers. I would add that I could list off a dozen Sony studios that rapid fire only the finest crap. They have a few good studios, but the massive majority of their studios are not what you would call quality developers.

You know it seems every manufacturer needs quality third party support. That was the problem with the Dreamcast it didn't have a lot of that. Well maybe not Nintendo, but who said life was fair. Sony most certainly cannot hold its own on first party titles if thats what your thinking.

100% of this is speculation and assumption o.O; Like someone pointed out above, we have no clue what Team Ico is doing, Same with Sucker punch, same with Santa Monica studios, Sony has plenty of titles that no one knows about. "Their piggy bank of secrets" only seems empty because they have so many announced. Did you ever think that they have plenty in reserve o.O? No one thinks that, they all assume Sony is just at the point of desperation.

How about this? If Sony's 2008 lineup is so "overwhelming", did it ever occur to you that maybe MS want's people to retain faith in their 2008 lineup? What if it's true, what if MS really doesn't have many big guns comming up o.O? You'd think they let their "piggy bank of secrets" speak a little wouldn't you?

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I see some people are getting some stuff mixed-up!

1) Microsoft ownes Rare, Rare developed Goldeneye (acclaimed Console FPS)... BUT! Alot of people who worked on Goldeneye left Rare when Microsoft bought them from Nintendo. That group of (28) people became Free Radical (which now has over 100 employees). So, that's why you won't be seeing a Rare developed FPS in 2008.

2) Free Radical, ex-Rare, are now developing their next game (Haze) For PS3 and for PS3 only!... Some rumors about the game being delayed to port it to PC/X360 are false because Free Radical has stated today that it is just because they want to give players the perfect experience and try to refine the game, they also confirmed the exclusivity of the game!

3) Maybe Timesplitters 4 will come to X360 (very likely if you ask me)... But that won't be in 2008!

4) I guess Microsoft will announce Gears of War 2 for the X360 (exclusive, or timed... At Least!). Which, i guess, will be at GDC08. And the game will be released in 2008! I'm willing to bet on that!

5) Microsoft isn't stupid! Xbox/X360 = FPS-console! Not releasing an FPS during the holiday-season in the X360's 3rd Christmas (arguably the biggest in a console's lifetime) would be dumb, and as such, Microsoft will have FPS('s?!) for the X360 ready during Holiday 08!

THE NETHERLANDS