By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How does Sony have two huge first party FPS this fall and MS have 0?

Dodece said:
@ultraslick

Your bias is truly troubling, but it also highlights how little you actually think of the current PS3 library. In answer to your question Ratchet was to be the counter to Mario, and Unreal Tournament was supposed to be the counter to Halo 3. Notice how they are the same genres, and notice how close they fell to their rivals.

The Ratchet, and Clank series is the Super Mario of PS platforms. That is their answer to Mario. From my understanding they are usually of a high quality, and are usually highly rated. That was the Sony counter punch. I know you must be annoyed that it fell on deaf ears, but the game was a incredibly solid effort. The problem is that nobody can beat Mario he is the god of his particular genre.

Unreal Tournament a series know for its multi player with strong brand recognition. Sounds like a contender against a certain green armored soldier to me. Yes the delays probably hurt the title when compared to its rival, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the intent of Sony for it to rival the good old chief in the market place.

You talk about future PS3 announcements at the upcoming shows, but you ignore a few major problems. The first problem was mentioned Sony unloaded a great many secret projects last year. Most which would not make it to market for well over a year perhaps even two years. Second Sony has lost a step in the area of developer confidence. Nintendo tore them a new one, and Microsoft actually beat them in the market. With the lowest user base of all the platforms its easy to see why it might be hard for them to secure exclusive third party rights based on position alone. Finally we have our old friend development costs which are still much higher on the PS3, and require developers to sell a large number of games to reach profitability.

Sony smashed their piggy bank of secrets. They came in third last year. Their console is the most expensive to develop for. They don't even have the large user base cushions their rivals have. The result and give me a drum roll please. Sony isn't going to have the same kind of third party presence that Nintendo is going to get through its astronomical sales, or the kind that Microsoft is getting with its almost obscene attach rate. Which means Sony probably has to pay for its third party exclusives through the teeth, and they are hardly in a position to spend even more money.

By the way before you say first party developers. I would add that I could list off a dozen Sony studios that rapid fire only the finest crap. They have a few good studios, but the massive majority of their studios are not what you would call quality developers.

You know it seems every manufacturer needs quality third party support. That was the problem with the Dreamcast it didn't have a lot of that. Well maybe not Nintendo, but who said life was fair. Sony most certainly cannot hold its own on first party titles if thats what your thinking.

If I came off Biased it is because I may be biased just a little bit, but I do love all consoles- so here is something you will not see very often- someone owning up honestly to a post.

Even though I personally love the PS3 library, I would be kidding myself if I thought Ratchet was in any way a solid counter to Mario. Side by side they are both solid platformers, but its MARIO. He is king and I love the fact that he is king of the platformers. I believe he always will be. And I just dissagree that Unreal was sony's attempt at anything. It was a third party game that I could care less about. Even if it had lived up to its greatest expectations it would not compare to Halo in terms of market acceptance. It is HALO. the king of the FPS genre. I know this.

I do find it suprising though how currently it seems like the "Halo killer" is quickly becoming COD4.

If my bias shows how little I think of the PS3 library then I am okay with that. I don't think much of the current PS3 library. Before the PS3 came out, dispite sony's intentions I could tell you that Metal Gear Solid 4 and Gran Turismo would be great. I look forward to these games. I now look forward to Killzone 2 almost entirely to see what 50 million in development looks like to be honest with you. I am not ashamed of this fact. I thought the original was much better than many give it credit for, but that is besides the point. I am hyped for the game because 50 million seems like alot for a video game. And I am a whore in that sense.

I actually loosely agree with the rest of what you said. But I do not hink Microsoft will have much if any of an advantage in the third party market over Sony. Despite your theorized lost developer confidence/ dev costs. etc for the PS3, I still know that third parties will not ignore the 10 million strong and growing PS3 which is now outselling the 360 on a weekly basis, for the simple reason that ports are just too easy not to take advantage of.

Unless Someone pays the devs, I believe that approx 95% or third party games will be multiplat.

Even though I think Nintendo is sort of a runaway success and has no place of discussion in a thread about Sony and Microsoft, I agree that they wil have many more third party games. Many many many more. The wii market (IMO) will continue to have only a small handfull of those games worth playing. And this would not be a bad thing except, the contrast of quality between Nintendo's first party and third party is so staggering that it shows how lazy all of these 3rd party devs really are. (there is no point to what I just said, just thought I would talk about the wii a little)

I do not think that Sony can hold its own in first party titles alone, (not that they will have to)

But if for some reason all devs went crazy and dumped sony like you seem tho think they will, even now that the worst of Sony sales is over and they had to rely on their first (and 2nd?) party developers,

they would.. drumroll please.... still be stronger than Microsoft which is what this threads topic is talking about in the first place.

I say this without any sarcasm though... I generally enjoyed your response to my post - interesting.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network

flame post... (flaming bait. lol)

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

To address the original topic – I’m not sure where you’re coming from. The Xbox 360 has plenty of shooters coming this year. If you don’t believe me look them up. And of course there are some (such as Gears 2) that are just rumors. Secondly the Xbox 360 lineup already has so many great shooters that it doesn’t immediately demand a truckload more this year – it can do fine with just a few high quality titles in that regard which is what I feel it will get this year.

Instead the 360 lineup this year seems to be focused more on other genres. Also I’m sick of people saying that the 360 is a “shooter console”. Yes it is plenty deep in that regards with a range of games covering first person, third person, tactical, hybrid, single player, multiplayer…you name it. That does not mean it is deficient in other regards nor should it be judged solely in regards to its shooter-lineup. So saying that the 360 is a “shooter console” that doesn’t have any shooters this year is both a strawman argument and just plain incorrect.

Another problem is that you seem to fall into the sequel/hype trap. It’s really frustrating when people only focus on sequels they really recognize and sometimes overlook new IPs. Now granted, proven track records say something and in those regards I’m kind of baffled by the amount of hype Killzone 2 is getting. Killzone 2 should be more of a “wait and see” title since there are really no guarantees (not that there really is with any game, but still) and hyping it so much only seems to set people up for disappointment rather than judging the game for what it actually is.

I thought Microsoft doesn't have any FPS yet because none have been announced... In fact, Microsoft has not officially announced any first party games for 2008 yet.

There has been a few slips of games for the first half of 2008 through e-mails and interviews. But nothing for the last half.

Well it’s true that most of the ones we know about are earlier in this year, it’s pretty obvious that you’re going to know more about the games the closer you get to release.  Many games don’t have a definite release date yet…but that doesn’t mean they aren’t coming.

Anyway, here’s a few that will probably release later in the year:

Warhound (console exclusive)
Sabotage (console exclusive)
Dead Island (console exclusive)

And yes there will probably be more announced later.

Around the Network

PS3 need to make APPEAL in USA.
FPS is very popular in USA.
While x360 need to make appeal in other regions with variety of genres, but x360 is struggling with this.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Resistance 2 hasn't been delayed yet, so expect it to be delayed at least 6 months.  Maybe a year.

Killzone 2 sounds like it could be in some sort of developmental trouble.  It was supposed to be out right about now and it seems as though..... In response,THE RELEASE DATE FOR Resistance 2 is Nov. 08 and Killzone 2 -WILL COME OUT SEP. 08 -GOW 2 wont come out this year

iWillCrushAllWhoDefyMe!                                                                           PN ID- DrivenToExcell -if you want to add me to your friends list tell me where you know me from(vgchartz) www.twitter.com/driventoexcell

What the crap is wrong with this thread?

twesterm said:
What the crap is wrong with this thread?

Remove "IsNotAnOption" from someone's screenname and all shall be explained.

I fixed it. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Krasnaya Yastreb said:

Well it’s true that most of the ones we know about are earlier in this year, it’s pretty obvious that you’re going to know more about the games the closer you get to release. Many games don’t have a definite release date yet…but that doesn’t mean they aren’t coming.

Anyway, here’s a few that will probably release later in the year:

Warhound (console exclusive)
Sabotage (console exclusive)
Dead Island (console exclusive)

And yes there will probably be more announced later.

Im willing to bet those games will sooner or later find their way to the ps3.