By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony fans getting over confident?

Tagged games:

Are sony fans getting over confident?

Yes 292 55.94%

No 229 43.87%

Total:521
o_O.Q said:
maximrace said:
This a perfect example of what I mean:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5223637

i wonder why i don't see you looking for the posts claiming that the ps4 is already a failure because the 8G of RAM will make it too expensive or that sony will go bankrupt with the ps4s release etc etc etc

then again i suppose that wouldn't fit with your agenda...

the truth is that these kinds of posts come from all sides...

Yes it does come from all sides. But you neglect to note the frequency on each side that says these types of comments. PS fan frequency is at a all time high......oh but since a small minority of Xbox fans says their own opinion in return, were all equal (sigh). 

Both factions sling their negativity, but it is the majority faction that does it that needs to be made accountable. Your position makes it seem like your faction has all the solutions, when the other factions see yours as the problem. Do you not see the irony in playing the "were all equal" card here?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Sony has build the most powerfull console ever. It has already won, people.

(Edit: It was has, not had before)

Please enlighten me since PS3 is still 3rd and PS4 won't pass WiiU until sometime in 2014 at the earliest?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Please enlighten me since PS3 is still 3rd and PS4 won't pass WiiU until sometime in 2014 at the earliest?

Can't you hear the enthusiasm of every Sony fan miles away? That alone has assured victory.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
sales2099 said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Can't you hear the enthusiasm of every Sony fan miles away? That alone has assured victory.

Believe me.....I have heard them for far too long. Doesnt make it right i tellz u!

sales2099 said:
o_O.Q said:
maximrace said:
This a perfect example of what I mean:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5223637

i wonder why i don't see you looking for the posts claiming that the ps4 is already a failure because the 8G of RAM will make it too expensive or that sony will go bankrupt with the ps4s release etc etc etc

then again i suppose that wouldn't fit with your agenda...

the truth is that these kinds of posts come from all sides...

Yes it does come from all sides. But you neglect to note the frequency on each side that says these types of comments. PS fan frequency is at a all time high......oh but since a small minority of Xbox fans says their own opinion in return, were all equal (sigh). 

Both factions sling their negativity, but it is the majority faction that does it that needs to be made accountable. Your position makes it seem like your faction has all the solutions, when the other factions see yours as the problem. Do you not see the irony in playing the "were all equal" card here?

the amount of flaming/trolling etc i see from ms fans is about the same i've seen from sony fans despite the size difference of the 2

unless you're just speaking of the size of the 2 rather than their posts

edit : "Both factions sling their negativity, but it is the majority faction that does it that needs to be made accountable"

that makes no sense... what if a smaller faction slings negativity more frequently than a larger faction?

this leads back to my point before where i'm saying that you have to be more speicific instead of tlaking about post frquency then to size of fanbases and back again

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Be honest, guys. If the PS3 can sell 77M (still selling well) while launching at $599 and probably end up as the highest selling system of the gen, what do you think the PS4 will do?

Quite a bit less. Mainly due to shorter hardware cycle, branching market, slight drop in consumer spending habbits due to funds being diverted elsewhere in the entertainment arena and overall drop of gaming in the West.

Nothing points to shorter hardware cycles. And seeing the PS3 sales last year, I don't see "branching market or drop in consumer spending habbits" being a problem.

I'm sure you don't. Meanwhile, everything points to shorter hardware cycles if you look at the big picture (i.e; outside of consoles only). The 8th generation of home consoles will be historical, it will be the first one showing regression and recession, less hardware (sub 200 million lifetime) and less software sold on home consoles and dedicated handhelds, its simply inevitable. And dedicated handhelds are going away shortly, this is just as evident.

No, nothing points to shorter hardware cycles. Your predictions of the 8th gen are as off as your prediction for the PS3's sales at the end of 2013. You have nothing to support that software sales will be low on home consoles next gen.

Fine, you don't have to agree with me, you're free to make up your mind based on anything you want, I suppose. Just for kicks though, what exactly is wrong with my PS3 2013 prediction? You think its too low? Please don't say yes...

Yes, of course it is. Around 7M PS3s sold in 2013? Even VGChartz, which severely undertracks PS3 numbers have them at 1.7M so far this year - that's more than 24% of your prediction.

At around 25% of the year being through. I expect big yoy drops and especially in the holiday season where most of the sales come from, PS4, new xbox, Piston and an avalanche of titles for PS4, xbox 720 and Wii U (1st party Nintendo games) that won't be available or only available as inferior versions on PS3 and 360.

Its as simple as this; either the PS3 and 360 will suffer a great deal (to the tune of 40-50% down yoy in Q4) or the PS4 and nextbox will have fairly poor launches. To expect new consoles to do well and the existing ones to not suffer big drops simultaneously is highly unrealistic at best. Sony moving some of their big titles forward nearer summer instead of fall to make room for PS4 hype and launch line-up will also assist this greatly. The 7th generation is coming to a close, there's no reason to think that PS3 and 360 will have another good holiday season or a very good 2013 overall.

And Q3 usually accounts for 45-50% of a whole year's sales. Did you factor that in? You also have a very skewed view of the worldwide gaming market. Why do you think the PS2 sold so much after the PS3 was out?

007BondAgent said:
Michael-5 said:

This exact same thing happened with the PS3. Remember how many "PS3 will overtake 360 in 2008" threads there were?

Sony has the most hardcore fans on this site, so as long as there is 1 Good exclusive releasing all hell breaks loose.

TBH though, I don't see anything special about the PS4. Killzone 4 looks good, but not as good as it should if PS4 is the most powerful system. IMO it doesn't look that much better then X. Plus everything on Ps4 is a sequel except for one meh launch game.

I think Wii U will win, just like Wii won last time. Sony might knock out 360 right at the start, but Wii U will explode, PS4 will not.

Anyway PS3 is where it's at right now, with TLoU and Beyond still releasing, and PS3 selling for $199. Plus PS4 isn't BC, so now is the time to buy.

finalfantasy XV, that game alone sets the PS4 apart from the rest

That game is rumored to be a Wii U title more often then a PS4 title, and with Nintendo home consoles doing significantly better then Sony home consoles in Japan again, it might happen.

LOL wait, you're also thinking about getting a Wii U, so either way you're set.

I'm probably following the same path as you, but I never faired well with Sony 1st gen consoles, so I'm getting a Wii U first and then a PS4 Slim. By then PS4 will have good games and I'll finish all my 360/PS3/Wii games.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

kappie1977 said:
just wait until XBOX reveal and the real console war begins. Ps. what I notice is that every Gen everyone never involves Nintendo in the console wars, because in their opinion Nin will be dead soon. But in reality Nintendo is the only Console manufacturer up to now who really made a profit with producing consoles!

I think it's the opposite. People know Nintendo will do well, and survive (they survived after 2 bad generations N64/GCN - Handhelds will always save Nintendo financially).

However people know Sony might not last (Their earnings reports have been down for a few years, Vita is weak and being sold at a loss, and PS3 only tied 360 this gen), and people hope MS might back out of the gaming market.

Plus the way Sony and MS have stanced themselves....they are direct compeditors, where Nintendo is the alternative (or first choice, or second console).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Be honest, guys. If the PS3 can sell 77M (still selling well) while launching at $599 and probably end up as the highest selling system of the gen, what do you think the PS4 will do?

Quite a bit less. Mainly due to shorter hardware cycle, branching market, slight drop in consumer spending habbits due to funds being diverted elsewhere in the entertainment arena and overall drop of gaming in the West.

Nothing points to shorter hardware cycles. And seeing the PS3 sales last year, I don't see "branching market or drop in consumer spending habbits" being a problem.

I'm sure you don't. Meanwhile, everything points to shorter hardware cycles if you look at the big picture (i.e; outside of consoles only). The 8th generation of home consoles will be historical, it will be the first one showing regression and recession, less hardware (sub 200 million lifetime) and less software sold on home consoles and dedicated handhelds, its simply inevitable. And dedicated handhelds are going away shortly, this is just as evident.

No, nothing points to shorter hardware cycles. Your predictions of the 8th gen are as off as your prediction for the PS3's sales at the end of 2013. You have nothing to support that software sales will be low on home consoles next gen.

Fine, you don't have to agree with me, you're free to make up your mind based on anything you want, I suppose. Just for kicks though, what exactly is wrong with my PS3 2013 prediction? You think its too low? Please don't say yes...

Yes, of course it is. Around 7M PS3s sold in 2013? Even VGChartz, which severely undertracks PS3 numbers have them at 1.7M so far this year - that's more than 24% of your prediction.

At around 25% of the year being through. I expect big yoy drops and especially in the holiday season where most of the sales come from, PS4, new xbox, Piston and an avalanche of titles for PS4, xbox 720 and Wii U (1st party Nintendo games) that won't be available or only available as inferior versions on PS3 and 360.

Its as simple as this; either the PS3 and 360 will suffer a great deal (to the tune of 40-50% down yoy in Q4) or the PS4 and nextbox will have fairly poor launches. To expect new consoles to do well and the existing ones to not suffer big drops simultaneously is highly unrealistic at best. Sony moving some of their big titles forward nearer summer instead of fall to make room for PS4 hype and launch line-up will also assist this greatly. The 7th generation is coming to a close, there's no reason to think that PS3 and 360 will have another good holiday season or a very good 2013 overall.

And Q3 usually accounts for 45-50% of a whole year's sales. Did you factor that in? You also have a very skewed view of the worldwide gaming market. Why do you think the PS2 sold so much after the PS3 was out?

Are people seriously still comparing the PS2 and PS3?

Here are a few reasons;

1: It had 75% marketshare in the end and basically no competition.

2: It was the most successful console ever made.

3: It had all the 3rd party support in the world and then some.

4: HD adoption rates were still quite low when the PS3 came out, DVD was still "fine".

5: The PS2 enjoyed a market not yet branched into the multitude of segments we see today.

6: Hardware development cycles were slower, tech is moving more and more quickly.

7: Tied in to number 6, today is seeing an unprecedented need for renewal and extra content to keep consumers enthralled, consoles are all about functionality, connectivity and add-on's, markets that are moving at a blistering pace.

8: MS has managed to snag just as much support from developers and have captured an immense marketshare and userbase compared to the 6th gen.

9: Since the PS3 has been bleeding money from the beginning and cost Sony billions, they simply can't just cut the price down to 99$ and expect to sell heaps after the PS4 launches since they depend heavily on PS3 hardware profits to help them keep investors sated and the gaming division afloat. The massive campaign to get good launch titles for the PS4 tells me that they are pushing for a PS4 software and PS3 hardware profit gain in the coming 12-18 months as the main income, its not unlikely that they will take a small loss on each PS4 unit sold.

10: MS and Nintendo simply outright killed their Xbox and Gamcube when the 7th started, arguably even before that, the PS2 had no competition at all from its peers in the 6th gen at the end of the cycle. Additionally, the first contender in the 7th gen was invisible in Japan, allowing the PS2 to maintain tremedous momentum and the 360 was also really niche in Europe, a region where the PS3 didn't launch before nearly a year-and a half after the 360 allowing Sony to also maintain momentum really well in the biggest Sony region on the globe. None of these are advantages the PS3 will or can enjoy.

Is that enough? I can't take you seriously when you accuse me of having a skewed view of the worldwide gaming market when you can't even understand the vast difference between the PS2 and PS3 situations, its like night and day and clear as crystal. You even fail to see this when we're afforded the rare luxury of actual hindsight to aid us in our analysis. The PS3 will not move massive numbers after the PS4 launches, no where near PS2 levels or percentages and the PS4 likely won't have a fantastic debut either. I think, in the end, you're the one who is only seeing a fraction of the big picture, look outside home consoles, even handhelds, look to consumer electronics as a whole, transistor tech, interface progress, multitasking, branching and fusioning of services, features and platforms and medium. Most of all; look beyond your obvious love for one company that is holding you back, the veil is obscuring your view of what is an infinitely more complex and exciting market than you are currently able to see.