By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony fans getting over confident?

Tagged games:

Are sony fans getting over confident?

Yes 292 55.94%

No 229 43.87%

Total:521

God I watched casually the last 2 weeks and damn has things gone to shit with the factions lol

Now, much of this is hype. But then there's the fans who blend in their overconfidence and at some points arrogance in with the rest. It honestly reminds me of 2005-2006 forums when levels have been this high.

I just don't understand this obsession with counting chickens before they hatch. Now......like right now, PS3 is still 3rd place, and WiiU is technically winning the next gen and worst case scenario wont be passed until sometime in 2014.

They are losing, but act like they are winning. It still astounds me.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Very much so. Idk if its quite as bad as the start of this gen though. This gen has humbled some of them. But then others.. 8GB GDDR5 was like 120FPS dual HDMI 4D all over again.

Sony has build the most powerfull console ever. It has already won, people.

(Edit: It was has, not had before)

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Sony had build the most powerfull console ever. It has already won, people.

Had build? Or has?

walsufnir said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Had build? Or has?

My bad :(. It was has. I edited the my earlier post.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
walsufnir said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Had build? Or has?

My bad :(. It was has. I edited the my earlier post.

No problem! But still have to disagree ;)

Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Be honest, guys. If the PS3 can sell 77M (still selling well) while launching at $599 and probably end up as the highest selling system of the gen, what do you think the PS4 will do?

Quite a bit less. Mainly due to shorter hardware cycle, branching market, slight drop in consumer spending habbits due to funds being diverted elsewhere in the entertainment arena and overall drop of gaming in the West.

Nothing points to shorter hardware cycles. And seeing the PS3 sales last year, I don't see "branching market or drop in consumer spending habbits" being a problem.

I'm sure you don't. Meanwhile, everything points to shorter hardware cycles if you look at the big picture (i.e; outside of consoles only). The 8th generation of home consoles will be historical, it will be the first one showing regression and recession, less hardware (sub 200 million lifetime) and less software sold on home consoles and dedicated handhelds, its simply inevitable. And dedicated handhelds are going away shortly, this is just as evident.

No, nothing points to shorter hardware cycles. Your predictions of the 8th gen are as off as your prediction for the PS3's sales at the end of 2013. You have nothing to support that software sales will be low on home consoles next gen.

Fine, you don't have to agree with me, you're free to make up your mind based on anything you want, I suppose. Just for kicks though, what exactly is wrong with my PS3 2013 prediction? You think its too low? Please don't say yes...

Yes, of course it is. Around 7M PS3s sold in 2013? Even VGChartz, which severely undertracks PS3 numbers have them at 1.7M so far this year - that's more than 24% of your prediction.

Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
Lawlight said:
Be honest, guys. If the PS3 can sell 77M (still selling well) while launching at $599 and probably end up as the highest selling system of the gen, what do you think the PS4 will do?

Quite a bit less. Mainly due to shorter hardware cycle, branching market, slight drop in consumer spending habbits due to funds being diverted elsewhere in the entertainment arena and overall drop of gaming in the West.

Nothing points to shorter hardware cycles. And seeing the PS3 sales last year, I don't see "branching market or drop in consumer spending habbits" being a problem.

I'm sure you don't. Meanwhile, everything points to shorter hardware cycles if you look at the big picture (i.e; outside of consoles only). The 8th generation of home consoles will be historical, it will be the first one showing regression and recession, less hardware (sub 200 million lifetime) and less software sold on home consoles and dedicated handhelds, its simply inevitable. And dedicated handhelds are going away shortly, this is just as evident.

No, nothing points to shorter hardware cycles. Your predictions of the 8th gen are as off as your prediction for the PS3's sales at the end of 2013. You have nothing to support that software sales will be low on home consoles next gen.

Fine, you don't have to agree with me, you're free to make up your mind based on anything you want, I suppose. Just for kicks though, what exactly is wrong with my PS3 2013 prediction? You think its too low? Please don't say yes...

Yes, of course it is. Around 7M PS3s sold in 2013? Even VGChartz, which severely undertracks PS3 numbers have them at 1.7M so far this year - that's more than 24% of your prediction.

At around 25% of the year being through. I expect big yoy drops and especially in the holiday season where most of the sales come from, PS4, new xbox, Piston and an avalanche of titles for PS4, xbox 720 and Wii U (1st party Nintendo games) that won't be available or only available as inferior versions on PS3 and 360.

Its as simple as this; either the PS3 and 360 will suffer a great deal (to the tune of 40-50% down yoy in Q4) or the PS4 and nextbox will have fairly poor launches. To expect new consoles to do well and the existing ones to not suffer big drops simultaneously is highly unrealistic at best. Sony moving some of their big titles forward nearer summer instead of fall to make room for PS4 hype and launch line-up will also assist this greatly. The 7th generation is coming to a close, there's no reason to think that PS3 and 360 will have another good holiday season or a very good 2013 overall.

Most would be inclined to believe the PS3 and Xbox 360 will beat the hell out of the numbers for both the PS4 and Xbox 3 respectively.

It will be more of a logistics/availability issue than anything else. But also, it will be a cost issue for the tens of millions of consumers who don't buy $399 consoles with no back catalogs of games and instead buy them years into their product life cycles when they're a lot cheaper, soft libraries are well established, and used or discounted games are abundant.

Can't really compare the Wii and Wii U holiday sales from 2012 because demand for the Wii was already dead so it's far from the same scenario.

maximrace said:
This a perfect example of what I mean:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5223637

i wonder why i don't see you looking for the posts claiming that the ps4 is already a failure because the 8G of RAM will make it too expensive or that sony will go bankrupt with the ps4s release etc etc etc

then again i suppose that wouldn't fit with your agenda...

the truth is that these kinds of posts come from all sides...