By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What the heck is it with Nintendo and release dates?

Tagged games:

Pikmin 3 was originally suppose to be a Wii game, it's been delayed quite a bit.

I think Nintendo knows none of their games are releasing anytime soon, so they kinda just want to keep the suspense up. While Pikmin 3 and Wii Fit U have a Q2 release, and Wonderful 101 was suppose to be a launch window game, I bet you those games will be releasing much later in the year.

But hey, Nintendo did say Wind Waker HD was an August title.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

Nintendo prefer to only give dates when they're quite certain and are quite strategic in their approach to release dates, we're already aware about their attention to their first party quality but it's not only fans of their games listening the competition is also paying attention as well and knowing when your competition's cards are going to be played helps them as well. It's the same reason Nintendo has clamped down on announcing loads of projects at once but instead sticks to games that are to be released with in the year for most part.

For Nintendo it isn't good enough to just release a game and hope for the best if the game in it's current state is a 8 out of 10. They would rather delay and then release the game when it is as good and polished as it can be.

I just hope they don´t let the quality of titles like Mario Kart go down because of the pressure.

Cheebee said:
Well, the only reason I can think of is that Nintendo themselves don't know when their games will be ready. Really ready. They're really fussy when it comes to perfecting their games, as we all know. That just takes a lot of time, obviously, and I honestly believe they cannot possibly set firm release dates for their games so far in advance, as they tend to change, adjust and polish (even major) things up to the last minute.

So far in advance? Pikmin 3 was originally supposed to release 4 months ago, how far from completion can it possibly be?

Around the Network

I don't even care about when these games are releasing anymore.

I'll get play them when they come out. I don't want quality to suffer.

Meanwhile I'll pick up some old classics or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

curl-6 said:
Cheebee said:
Well, the only reason I can think of is that Nintendo themselves don't know when their games will be ready. Really ready. They're really fussy when it comes to perfecting their games, as we all know. That just takes a lot of time, obviously, and I honestly believe they cannot possibly set firm release dates for their games so far in advance, as they tend to change, adjust and polish (even major) things up to the last minute.

So far in advance? Pikmin 3 was originally supposed to release 4 months ago, how far from completion can it possibly be?

It was originally a Wii game, Pikmin along with games like OOT are the reason Nintendo usually doesn't set release dates in advance, it got delayed so obviously something in the game had to be sorted out.

curl-6 said:
Cheebee said:

Well, like I said, they tend to make (drastic) changes late in development. 'Upending the tea table' is what they call it over at Nintendo Japan, according to Iwata Asks. Like Wyrdness said, the game was supposed to have come out years ago on Wii. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Pikmin 3 slipped to Q3/Q4. Maybe even into 2014, who knows.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

There comes a point though, where delaying a game can hurt its quality rather than helping it; development becomes drawn out, various builds are made and then thrown out, and the end product ends up being a messy, uneven mixture of old and new ideas and tech.

"A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever" - Shigeru Miyamoto

I LOVE ICELAND!