By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What the heck is it with Nintendo and release dates?

Tagged games:

curl-6 said:

We have an exact release date for Assassin's Creed 4, despite it being 8 months away, yet we don't have a release date for Pikmin 3, which was supposed to be out 4 months ago, or The Wonderful 101, which was slated for  Q1/Q2 this year, or even a Western date for Game and Wario, which hits Japan later this month.

Why is Nintendo so damn stingy with release dates? The lack of any concrete dates is deflating the possible excitement for upcoming games, because for all we know they could be miles off. If they just stood up and told us: "Pikimin 3 hits 28th of April, Wonderful 101 on  ther 3rd of June" then people could mark down dates and get hyped. As it is, they're holding us in a starved, anemic limbo without even giving us a parole date to look forward to.

To be fair, giving a solid release date for a game that's eight months out is not the norm.  And Pikmin 3 was originally due within the launch window, so technically it's not even considered late until March 30 passes.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network

Nintendo is in panic mode. Nintendo Direct was proof of that. They just mentioned some games that release in the far future and don't know about release dates themselves. It wouldn't surprise me if some of those Wii U titles weren't even in development when they were announced. I don't know what's wrong with Ninty lately. They relied too much in Wii as a brand. Maybe they thought NSMBU can sell a console alone. They were wrong and have nothing else to release.

Also, they sure pumped a lot of resources into the 3DS when it struggled in its first year. Maybe that brought some chaos into development. But I really don't know, it's pure speculation.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Just an observation which I have no idea is true or not, but perhaps they're finding it more resource-heavy dealing with HD development than they thought, causing things to get behind schedule.

Saying that, this reasoning wouldn't stand for Wonderful 101, so I'm not too sure really.

mmmmm i'm getting impatiente also, but one thing get my feet on the ground, when Nintendo delays a game it's always for the best. Others is the opposite. Miyamoto is going genius about pikmin, and with those 25-50 GB more per disc it will be enough to throw everything to that game.

I don't know. You would figure the least they could do, at the start of each quarter, is give hard release dates for what's due to launch in that quarter.

Pikmin i always had pegged for Q2

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.” ― Shigeru Miyamoto

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Chandler said:
“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.” ― Shigeru Miyamoto

Patch!

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Maybe they're canceled, LOL jk

RolStoppable said:
Even games with exact release dates can get delayed, so why does this matter? Oh right, the hype. On that note, wouldn't the lack of releasing new information/trailers be a bigger concern than the release date?

Even if trailers and info are delivered, the lack of a date will stunt the hype because people won't know whether to get fired up now, or prepare for a painfully long wait.

Mr Khan said:
Chandler said:

Patch!

I'm still waiting for that patch that makes Assassins Creed Liberation a half decent game. Or Assassins Creed 3 for that matter. Or Darksiders 2 or....you get what I'm saying. Bad game is bad, patched or not.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.