By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What the heck is it with Nintendo and release dates?

Tagged games:

curl-6 said:

We have an exact release date for Assassin's Creed 4, despite it being 8 months away, yet we don't have a release date for Pikmin 3, which was supposed to be out 4 months ago, or The Wonderful 101, which was slated for  Q1/Q2 this year, or even a Western date for Game and Wario, which hits Japan later this month.

Why is Nintendo so damn stingy with release dates? The lack of any concrete dates is deflating the possible excitement for upcoming games, because for all we know they could be miles off. If they just stood up and told us: "Pikimin 3 hits 28th of April, Wonderful 101 on  ther 3rd of June" then people could mark down dates and get hyped. As it is, they're holding us in a starved, anemic limbo without even giving us a parole date to look forward to.

Ok, I do agree that Nintendo takes it to the extreme and should give more information on release windows hopefully naming month or at least quarter for their games, for example we know Pikmin 3 is Q2, but at this point it could be good if we know april, may or june? and during this period of the life of the console when people all need to buy the device and not just the games is double important to keep people informed so they can save their money and all that stuff.

On the other hand they should not be very specific, too much in advance, like ubisoft with AC4, because that means that the game will come out that day even if it has many errors, bugs and/or problems, like it happened with AC3 already. They could find a balance, tell me if Bayonetta 2 is Q3 or Q4 of 2013, tell me if The wonderful 101 will come out in Q3 and if possible which month. You all get the idea.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

Nintendo does their own thing.

Leaving their new console with no big games for the first 6 months following it's launch isn't exactly the best way I can think of to "do their own thing," nor is withholding release dates so there isn't even the comfort of knowing how long we have to wait until the drouight ends.

If I remember correctly, Nintendo used to not reveal much information or even mention the development of games beforehand (there could have been exceptions though), games would be announced relatively closed to the release date. Seems this time they announced games so that their followers could have something to hope for in the future due to the lack of game releases.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Putting an exact date means that if the game needs even an extra day's work, you have to announce a delay and piss your fans off. This encourages devs to rush their game to avoid having to announce a delay, which leads to worse games.

Have patience, it is coming.

curl-6 said:
spurgeonryan said:

Nintendo does their own thing.

Leaving their new console with no big games for the first 6 months following it's launch isn't exactly the best way I can think of to "do their own thing," nor is withholding release dates so there isn't even the comfort of knowing how long we have to wait until the drouight ends.

He never said the thing was "good", he just said they were just doing their thing which im inclined to agree. Ninty being Ninty, I say have patience and deal with it

Around the Network
scottie said:
Putting an exact date means that if the game needs even an extra day's work, you have to announce a delay and piss your fans off. This encourages devs to rush their game to avoid having to announce a delay, which leads to worse games.

Patience is one thing, but the current drought just isn't acceptable, gamers shouldn't have to put up with this kind of treatment. Nintendo have had TWO YEARS of neglecting the Wii to work on Wii U games; being new to HD graphics and programmable pixel/vertex shaders just isn't a good enough excuse for having  nothing to show after a two year plus drought. I can only hope their current abysmal sales teach them a lesson, that they can't treat us like this and get away with it.

At least give us a month's window for Christ's sake; April for Pikimin, July for Wonderful 101, (So they can waste time at E3 wanking on about that old, well known, unexciting game instead of showing actual new ones) or something like that.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Patience is one thing, but the current drought just isn't acceptable, gamers shouldn't have to put up with this kind of treatment. Nintendo have had TWO YEARS of neglecting the Wii to work on Wii U games; being new to HD graphics and programmable pixel/vertex shaders just isn't a good enough excuse for having  nothing to show after a two year plus drought. I can only hope their current abysmal sales teach them a lesson, that they can't treat us like this and get away with it.

At least give us a month's window for Christ's sake; April for Pikimin, July for Wonderful 101, (So they can waste time at E3 wanking on about that old, well known, unexciting game instead of showing actual new ones) or something like that.

Huh? During the Nintendo Direct in January they put down Pikmin 3 for April. Did they change this to Q2 since then?

I read it was delayed to just "Q2."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/pikmin_3_aims_to_simply_go_deeper_than_previous_experiences

curl-6 said:
scottie said:

I was meaning patience related to knowing release dates, not patience related to the games coming out. The current lack of releases has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo's policy on announcing release dates, so I shall not discuss it in this thread.

As for Month, that has exactly the same problem I originally pointed out. If you say it will release in April, then your bug finders say "We need some more time to work out the bug that is making the game shit to play, we can't have it done until May 2nd" What do you do? Release a buggy game? Announce a delay? Isn't it better to stay vague about release dates until you are sure?

scottie said:
curl-6 said:
scottie said:

I was meaning patience related to knowing release dates, not patience related to the games coming out. The current lack of releases has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo's policy on announcing release dates, so I shall not discuss it in this thread.

As for Month, that has exactly the same problem I originally pointed out. If you say it will release in April, then your bug finders say "We need some more time to work out the bug that is making the game shit to play, we can't have it done until May 2nd" What do you do? Release a buggy game? Announce a delay? Isn't it better to stay vague about release dates until you are sure?

Just factor bug testing time into your release schedule.

curl-6 said:
scottie said:
curl-6 said:
scottie said:

Just factor bug testing time into your release schedule.

Never coded before, I take it?