By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What the heck is it with Nintendo and release dates?

Tagged games:

scottie said:
curl-6 said:
scottie said:
curl-6 said:
scottie said:
curl-6 said:
scottie said:

 

 

 

 


Never coded before, I take it?

Many other companies don't have such problems delivering a quality piece of software on time.

 

If you look before you speak, you will find that they do.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/245316/ea-2009s-best-publisher/#

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2010-releases

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2011-releases

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2012-releases

 

2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th = 8 total

 

No other publisher was anywhere near that good on average. Sony was 3rd, 3rd, 7th, 3rd = 16 total . MS was 5,4,1,2 = 12 total. 

 

 

If you want to convince anyone but yourself that whatever Nintendo is doing is not working, present some evidence.

How about this for evidence; weekly sales are atrociously low, and there is no arrival time for any of the doftware that might save it. What they are doing is CLEARLY not working.

Giving a release date and sticking to it is not some herculean task; even Nintendo themselves used to do it all the time. But now, suddenly, it's impossible? Bollocks.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Launch window.



No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

In the last Nintendo Direct, they mentioned they are reacting to the popularity of MiiVerse and Photo-Posting, by adding new MiiVerse integrated content into Pikmin 3. This surge of new inspiration and new ideas and a fluid development environment within Nintendo and that desire to have high quality software that is released after it is ready. They also have the Wii U System Update stuff going on.

Basically I am sure they are feeling a ton of pressure about the Wii U OS, the lack of games (especially with Rayman Legends delay), and of course fans wanting Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101... and not really screaming excitement for Lego City Undercover for whatever reason.

I myself was upset over Rayman, but don't mind Pikmin etc being delayed until ready because in their case they were not delayed for Microsoft Licensing compliance reasons. Plus, I have multiple consoles and there are plenty of great new games coming out for something or other.

Fire Emblem Awakening for 3DS
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Tomb Raider for PS3/X360
God of War Ascension for PS3
Bioshock Infinity for PS3/X360
Lego City Undercover Wii U
Luigi's Ghost Mansion Dark Moon for 3DS
Pandora's Tower Wii

That's just Feb-April, and I am sure I am missing some quality games



This word, evidence. I do not think it means what you think it means.



Mensrea said:
Pikmin 3 should be here, and it's really bothering me. This game has been in development for a very very long time, and there is no reason it shouldn't have been there at launch.

They at least need to give me something to look forward to.

Also, I know it's been mentioned, but seriously, what the hell has Nintendo been doing lately? The Wii was cut off completely it's last 2 years, we should have had a surplus of games for Wii U at launch, or close to launch. It's shameful the lack of support on the home console front.

E3 better have a whole bunch of games, or I'm done with Nintendo.

This is almost exactly how I feel.

I love Nintendo. I really do. The Wii gave me some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. When they abandoned it in 2011, I defended them, saying they were obviously working on games for their newly announced next gen console. To suffer through those two years only to be hit with another drought at the very birth of the Wii U is a slap in the face.

They give us no release dates to count down to, leaving us with no guarantee that this  drought won't last until July, or August, or November. 

I really want to get excited about the Wii U, but how can I when all their big titles are either under wraps or in limbo? If E3 doesn't impress, I may simply grab the PS4 instead. I'm starting to get very, very fed up.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

This is almost exactly how I feel.

I love Nintendo. I really do. The Wii gave me some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. When they abandoned it in 2011, I defended them, saying they were obviously working on games for their newly announced next gen console. To suffer through those two years only to be hit with another drought at the very birth of the Wii U is a slap in the face.

They give us no release dates to count down to, leaving us with no guarantee that this  drought won't last until July, or August, or November. 

I really want to get excited about the Wii U, but how can I when all their big titles are either under wraps or in limbo? If E3 doesn't impress, I may simply grab the PS4 instead. I'm starting to get very, very fed up.

Even if they gave you exact release dates, that wouldn't be a guarantee that the games come out on that day. Or are you gullible enough to believe that no game ever gets delayed?

I think I had this discussion with you before. At the end of January Nintendo announced their plans. They apologized for the lack of new games in January and February, but at the same time they said that they plan to have a consistent release schedule for the rest of the year which meant at least one game from them per month. For March they announced Lego City and Monster Hunter. That's where the drought ends, because those games will not get delayed at this point in time anymore. Pikmin in April. Wii Fit U in May. Game & Wario and Wii Party U in June and July. At E3 they will show the new Mario Kart and 3D Mario. They announced all this in January and nothing has changed since then as far as I could see. Retro's new game can also be expected to be shown off at E3, because it has been a while since their last release.

I know this launch period sucks, but the launch year of pretty much every video game system saw droughts. It's nothing new, so why the fuss? Nintendo has already laid out their plans, albeit without exact release dates. This isn't going to be a year of nothing and you are greatly exaggerating the length of this drought. Like I said, it ends in a couple of weeks. Not all of the games that release in the upcoming months may interest you, but Monster Hunter is a time sink, so that should make the wait more bearable.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

This is almost exactly how I feel.

I love Nintendo. I really do. The Wii gave me some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. When they abandoned it in 2011, I defended them, saying they were obviously working on games for their newly announced next gen console. To suffer through those two years only to be hit with another drought at the very birth of the Wii U is a slap in the face.

They give us no release dates to count down to, leaving us with no guarantee that this  drought won't last until July, or August, or November. 

I really want to get excited about the Wii U, but how can I when all their big titles are either under wraps or in limbo? If E3 doesn't impress, I may simply grab the PS4 instead. I'm starting to get very, very fed up.

Even if they gave you exact release dates, that wouldn't be a guarantee that the games come out on that day. Or are you gullible enough to believe that no game ever gets delayed?

I think I had this discussion with you before. At the end of January Nintendo announced their plans. They apologized for the lack of new games in January and February, but at the same time they said that they plan to have a consistent release schedule for the rest of the year which meant at least one game from them per month. For March they announced Lego City and Monster Hunter. That's where the drought ends, because those games will not get delayed at this point in time anymore. Pikmin in April. Wii Fit U in May. Game & Wario and Wii Party U in June and July. At E3 they will show the new Mario Kart and 3D Mario. They announced all this in January and nothing has changed since then as far as I could see. Retro's new game can also be expected to be shown off at E3, because it has been a while since their last release.

I know this launch period sucks, but the launch year of pretty much every video game system saw droughts. It's nothing new, so why the fuss? Nintendo has already laid out their plans, albeit without exact release dates. This isn't going to be a year of nothing and you are greatly exaggerating the length of this drought. Like I said, it ends in a couple of weeks. Not all of the games that release in the upcoming months may interest you, but Monster Hunter is a time sink, so that should make the wait more bearable.

I know games get delayed, but a date is still better than "TBA" when it comes to the "light at the end of the tunnel"  effect.

And yeah, I think  we did discuss this before, I've just gotten a lot more irritated and impatient since then, haha. XD One game from them a month would be good if they can actually maintain that pace, but I worry that they won't be able to; their first four months aren't very encouraging.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but at this rate I can just see Wonderful 101 being delayed to after E3, and maybe Mario Kart released to carry the entire second half of the year in terms of big first party games, while 3D Mario, Bayonetta 2, and Yarn Yoshi, all get released next year, or maybe even in 2015. Those are the games I want the console for, those and Monolith's Soft's X. Sadly, they all seem lightyears away. And if I were to buy a Wii U now, there honestly isn't anything I'd really want to get. I mean, I'll pick up Monster Hunter, but even that might get old if it's all that's going to be holding me over for the next six months. I've played hundreds of hours of Tri on Wii, so it'll only be half-new anyway.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Chandler said:
“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.” ― Shigeru Miyamoto

That quote doesn't work in this context whatsover. The OP isn't saying that Nintendo delays their games too much, he/she is saying that Nintendo should provide release dates faster. Besides, in this gen that quote doesn't even make sense anymore.

As for the original question I'm guessing it's because Nintendo knows the game is going to get delayed constantly so they avoid that by not giving a release date until they are 100% sure they can release it that day. 



Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

curl-6 said:

I know games get delayed, but a date is still better than "TBA" when it comes to the "light at the end of the tunnel"  effect.

And yeah, I think  we did discuss this before, I've just gotten a lot more irritated and impatient since then, haha. XD One game from them a month would be good if they can actually maintain that pace, but I worry that they won't be able to; their first four months aren't very encouraging.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but at this rate I can just see Wonderful 101 being delayed to after E3, and maybe Mario Kart released to carry the entire second half of the year in terms of big first party games, while 3D Mario, Bayonetta 2, and Yarn Yoshi, all get released next year, or maybe even in 2015. Those are the games I want the console for, those and Monolith's Soft's X. Sadly, they all seem lightyears away. And if I were to buy a Wii U now, there honestly isn't anything I'd really want to get. I mean, I'll pick up Monster Hunter, but even that might get old if it's all that's going to be holding me over for the next six months. I've played hundreds of hours of Tri on Wii, so it'll only be half-new anyway.

E3 should be in early June and since The Wonderful 101 was mentioned as a June game in January (if memory serves me right), it's already pretty clear that it won't release before E3 (but it should come out in the same month). The Wind Waker HD, which you forgot to mention, should be a lock for this year. Good Feel (developer of Yarn Yoshi) needed a good two years to complete Kirby's Epic Yarn after Wario Land: Shake It, so I don't see their latest game slipping into 2014 (KEY was released in late 2010; February 2011 in Europe). EAD Tokyo had finished Super Mario 3D Land by the end of 2011 and part of their staff should have been working on a Wii U game since the release of Super Mario Galaxy 2 in mid-2010. That seems like enough time to have a game ready for the holidays this year. Mario Kart shouldn't be too much of a problem either. And then there's Retro's game. Donkey Kong Country Returns was released in late 2010.

Bayonetta 2 I never had high hopes for in regards to a 2013 release, because for its initial announcement they only showed a teaser trailer, meaning that the game was still very early in production. This game is a likely 2014 release and so is Monolith's X. Even if it releases this year in Japan, JRPGs always take Nintendo a while to localize, so don't expect it anytime soon.

In summary, there's a good bunch of games I am quite sure of to see this year. If the first year is taken as a whole, then it's not going to be too bad. Some of the delays are because Nintendo wants to ship complete games, some of them are for business reasons. They realized that they are going to miss their forecasts no matter what, so they pretty much sacrificed this quarter to start off stronger into their fiscal year 2014. Basically, take a bigger hit this fiscal year, but present a better outlook for the following one.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Man, I really want to get "X" here soon.

I don't want to wait a year for it to come over here.



http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)