By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ‘PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come’ – Avalanche Studios CTO

you know the more powerful the PS4 is, the better it is for PC gaming.

A lot of games are currently are held back buy level size, graphics and textures. The better the PS4 is the higher quality generic ports likely will be from release to years in the future.

What has happened every gen, is that the game consoles start out close to a lot of PC's, how close, ahead or behind depends on what you're considering, and then get more easily eclipsed a few years down the line because new tech is invented that the PS4, just can't have in it because it didn't exist or was too costly when it was being designed.

Around the Network

PC gamers rigs will be more powerful if they aren't already than PS4.

Key word being most.

this guy knows what hes on about. look what the ps3 can do with just 512mb of ram, multiply that by 16. I think all the pc too cools are forgetting that PCs run operating systems that are not specifically designed just for gaming. also no damn game is optimised for any more than 8gb anyway so having more at the moment is worthless.

Snesboy said:
mjk45 said:
Snesboy said:
CGI-Quality said:

I think it's better to note the quality of the games that will come from the PS4, despite rigs that are 5-10x more powerful than it.

Taking just Killzone: ShadowFall, it looks better than 90% of my PC library. This is a launch title, at that. Imagine 2015, 2016, 2017 games.

And now imagine your PC in 2017 running Radeon HD X2850s. Will completely outclass the PS4.

and the less  than 1 % of PC gamers with them in their PC's .

Not really. I didn't make up a random number.  Under the current numbering system, that would be a mid range-high end card.

The thing is it doesn't matter most likely a year later the PS5  appears  and off we go again all it means is for around 2 years console games will be up there with the PC in terms of good looking games the main difference being resolutions above 1080P for the PC , then later we will see new effects and techniques that will be only able on PC .

We should be getting to the stage where it's about being able to run  running all the fancy stuff without the compromises that takes place now  in regards to AI and less confined game size , but things like the guy from the new Sony racing game talking about  leather trim reacting to you brushing against it  has me worried about priorities , then by PS5 could be earlier for PC instead of continuing along the same old path thenext big step  should be ray tracing .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

As expected

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

mjk45 said:

The thing is it doesn't matter most likely a year later the PS5  appears  and off we go again all it means is for around 2 years console games will be up there with the PC in terms of good looking games the main difference being resolutions above 1080P for the PC , then later we will see new effects and techniques that will be only able on PC .

We should be getting to the stage where it's about being able to run  running all the fancy stuff without the compromises that takes place now  in regards to AI and less confined game size , but things like the guy from the new Sony racing game talking about  leather trim reacting to you brushing against it  has me worried about priorities , then by PS5 could be earlier for PC instead of continuing along the same old path thenext big step  should be ray tracing .

Ray tracing will likely never be the dominant lighting solution in games. The performance cost is just too damn high plus it has a host of it's own limitations. Even the special effects and CGI industry doesn't use it exclusively. Even Pixar's RenderMan (Rendering engine used by most of the special effects industry) uses a hybrid approach using ray tracing only for certain objects and effects, in fact the first PIXAR film to use ray tracing for more than a couple scenes only ray traced the cars and other select reflective surfaces because ray tracing is too inefficient to use on everything and they have one of the biggest render farms in the world.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

disolitude said:
Yeah...call me when PS4 has the flexibility of multi monitor support, 4K screen support, legacy game support for more than 6 years back or does true 120 FPS twitch gaming. Even standard 60 FPS across the board would make me give PS4 a standing ovation...

Before everyone jumps down my throat, here is what last years PC tech can do - http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/extremewindows/archive/2013/02/22/quick-look-directx-11-gaming-in-4k-on-windows-8.aspx

If you really think PS4 or 720 will be able to compete with this...B.E.L.I.E.V.E.

I'm no expert at all,in anything pc and I agree with what your saying,but what average consumer has a set up like that? That video was pretty cool 

In 2-3 years time you'll be able to get a GPU for $99-$150 that smokes the PS4/720 comfortably IMO.

I don't think "better than PS4!" rigs will be limited to people who have the highest end PC, there's nothing that special about the PS4/720 GPUs or CPUs .... its just that simple.

While for a console there's a nice amount of power there, for a PC, there's already cards out today that are well beyond a sub 2TFLOP-range.

What makes PS4 unique is its integrated GDDR5 for both CPU and GPGPU. The real milestone PCs have to reach  or work around before they can actually outsmart PS4 with their OS Kernel limits. It should take a year or two.