By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ‘PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come’ – Avalanche Studios CTO

Most people who play on PCs, do so with 4GB of ram. PS4 will be released with 8GB of Ram GDDR5.

This must be really great for developers.

Around the Network

PS4 = developer heaven. PS4 will outpower Chuck Norris.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Though that statement may look like bit of an overstretching, quick look at Steam GPU statistics from February 2013 shows that PS4 will perform better than 92-93% of current PC configs - and this is without putting into equation Windows environment PC games have to deal with.

So, I think this prediction is quite reasonable - PS4 will perform better than most PCs - not all, cause even at launch it will not be able to beat highest-end configs.

Snesboy said:
CGI-Quality said:

I think it's better to note the quality of the games that will come from the PS4, despite rigs that are 5-10x more powerful than it.

Taking just Killzone: ShadowFall, it looks better than 90% of my PC library. This is a launch title, at that. Imagine 2015, 2016, 2017 games.

And now imagine your PC in 2017 running Radeon HD X2850s. Will completely outclass the PS4.

and the less  than 1 % of PC gamers with them in their PC's .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

TimCliveroller said:

"TBH honest if people would have just used linux"... bla bla etc... Are you serious...?

Yes he is.  I have been running steam on linux since beta and steam games run better on the same hardware.  Look at the valve internal reports:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/valves-optimizations-make-linux-port-of-l4d2-outperform-windows-version/

Plus less overhead, you can run it in steam only without a desktop environment and boost that further.  Windows is a heavy burden on PC hardware and DXx of any flavour is an unnecessary filter between software and the hardware.

Around the Network

Console built with PC hardware will outpower PCs for years.

Yeah....makes perfect sense

This PC > Console argument is ridiculous.
But don't worry, people eventually grow out of it.

It's like comparing driving at 60MPH with a V12 Ferrari and a straight-six 3 series. Not only will the bimmer accomplish the same task, it will get you to your destination for cheaper and more confortably than the Ferrari would. I will take practicality over style any day.

I'm not gonna lie though, the sound of that V12 is orgasmic just as having a $600 GPU would feel like. But yeah, practicality over style...

Well this is probably true, but that's because most people will buy something that they don't know what they are getting. You can pretty easlily build a system that can match or beat a ps4. It's just that most people won't.

mjk45 said:
Snesboy said:
CGI-Quality said:

I think it's better to note the quality of the games that will come from the PS4, despite rigs that are 5-10x more powerful than it.

Taking just Killzone: ShadowFall, it looks better than 90% of my PC library. This is a launch title, at that. Imagine 2015, 2016, 2017 games.

And now imagine your PC in 2017 running Radeon HD X2850s. Will completely outclass the PS4.

and the less  than 1 % of PC gamers with them in their PC's .

Not really. I didn't make up a random number.  Under the current numbering system, that would be a mid range-high end card.

Yeah...call me when PS4 has the flexibility of multi monitor support, 4K screen support, legacy game support for more than 6 years back or does true 120 FPS twitch gaming. Even standard 60 FPS across the board would make me give PS4 a standing ovation...

Before everyone jumps down my throat, here is what last years PC tech can do - http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/extremewindows/archive/2013/02/22/quick-look-directx-11-gaming-in-4k-on-windows-8.aspx

If you really think PS4 or 720 will be able to compete with this...B.E.L.I.E.V.E.