By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ‘PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come’ – Avalanche Studios CTO

CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
The PS4 isn't going to out "power" even current gaming pcs

Before we get to anything else, you have to define this.

I'm refering to the pure hardware potential that the best gaming pcs of today have. PC game devs might not tap that power, but it is there. If a PC dev made a game and an engine specificly for only the best video card, the most RAM, and the best CPU it would be the most amazing gaming graphics any of us have ever seen. Nvidia's tech demos are jaw droping, but they only take into account the video card specificly. The PS4 and Nextbox have the whole "closed system" advantage, but the truth of the matter is that a killer gaming PC today has the raw processing power to out "graphics" anything the PS4 and Nextbox could dish. It is just unlikely to happen because PC devs have to support the lowest common denominator or risk cutting out the sales to customers with older and less powerfull hardware.

Around the Network

The article is written from the perspective of a general PC user not high end gaming rig users who are a fraction of total PC gamers. Makes sense to me that it will out perform most PC's for a couple of years at the least.

We PC gamers will have more multiplat, first because I think the PC hardware is already capable of outputing whatever the PS4 will manage.

Also : http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

Look at system ram ^^

Killy_Vorkosigan said:
We PC gamers will have more multiplat, first because I think the PC hardware is already capable of outputing whatever the PS4 will manage.

Also : http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

Look at system ram ^^

Yeap... the issue is not System RAM but the GPU and VRAM... most users have a low-end GPU (Intel GMA 3000 lol) and 1GB VRAM.

CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
The PS4 isn't going to out "power" even current gaming pcs

Before we get to anything else, you have to define this.

I'm refering to the pure hardware potential that the best gaming pcs of today have. PC game devs might not tap that power, but it is there. If a PC dev made a game and an engine specificly for only the best video card, the most RAM, and the best CPU it would be the most amazing gaming graphics any of us have ever seen. Nvidia's tech demos are jaw droping, but they only take into account the video card specificly. The PS4 and Nextbox have the whole "closed system" advantage, but the truth of the matter is that a killer gaming PC today has the raw processing power to out "graphics" anything the PS4 and Nextbox could dish. It is just unlikely to happen because PC devs have to support the lowest common denominator or risk cutting out the sales to customers with older and less powerfull hardware.

Yeah, theoretically, it would be, but that's not what this dev was arguing against. Most gaming PCs don't have graphics cards in them that would destroy a PS4.

Agree that most PC's don't have the power to compete with the PS4 and Nextbox. But when I hear the term Gaming PC I don't think of the cheap Dell your Grandma uses for e-mail. I think of machines like mine, that would blow away the PS4/Nextbox graphics IF a game was designed for it in the same way as a 1st party exclusive console title.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying the dev in the OP is wrong. I was just pointing out that gaming pcs today have the raw power to do amazing things if given the opportunity. Unfortunately that opportunity is so rare it's hard to remember a game made only for high end PCs. Crysis is the best example, I can think of and even it was still made to run on lower end hardware.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
Most PCs are for general purpose so no fucking shit, thank you PR stunts for making people dumber again.

Exactly. What he failed to mention was that modern gaming PC's will most likely beat it from release. However the PS4 should offer very good value for money if it's released at  <$400. 

kain_kusanagi said:
The PS4 isn't going to out "power" even current gaming pcs. But because it's a closed system and devs can optimize games for it's hardware the games will look awesome. PC games have to be made to run on low end systems, high end systems and everything in-between. It's rare for a game to look the best if it was also designed to run on a PC from 5-8 years ago. It has been done, Crysis still looks great, but it's rare.

What's interesting about the next gen and how PCs will be effected is that most gaming engines have become multiplatform and highly scalable. 3rd party devs are going to be making less and less exclusive games. That means we are going to see even more games that look identical on PS4 and Nextbox as well as PC. 1st party PS4 and Nextbox games will take advantage of their system's strengths, but PC devs will be forced to continue to support older hardware out of fear of cutting out customers with less powerfully machines. Time will tell if scalability will let high end PCs beat consoles next gen or if old PC hardware will continue to hold back graphics to the lowest common denominator.

this! thank you a post finally that made sense. It doesnt matter how much raw power one system has, its about how much access does a developer has to that power. TBH honest if people would have just used linux, and developer used linux as a game choice of platform, the graphic capability of PC would have been miles ahead of what is today. (Ray tracing, Specular reflection,  Radiosity, Unbiased rendering methods) rather than just having these features emulated on a loop we would have had them in real time.

The problem with current PC hardware is windows environment, which doesn't allow low level access to GPU and its video memory and windows 8 is even worst. Unlike game consoles, which gives u low level access to the entire system without any over head to worry about. I think its MS strategy with a closed windows 8 on pc to push the developers away from PC community to Next xbox which i think will have game developer friendly windows 8. 

So looking at current windows and 8, its safe to say ps4 and next xbox will have better graphics for years to come. No doubt on paper the $700 system will be powerful than PS4 but it will only be limited by its OS and different hardware configuration. In simple word, a console is an F1 car, and PC lets say is Buggati veyron, which one will win!

CGI-Quality said:

I think it's better to note the quality of the games that will come from the PS4, despite rigs that are 5-10x more powerful than it.

Taking just Killzone: ShadowFall, it looks better than 90% of my PC library. This is a launch title, at that. Imagine 2015, 2016, 2017 games.

And now imagine your PC in 2017 running Radeon HD X2850s. Will completely outclass the PS4.

"TBH honest if people would have just used linux"... bla bla etc... Are you serious...?

Ex Graphics Whore.

Wondering how long is "years to come" for the author.