By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ‘PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come’ – Avalanche Studios CTO

Nope. My PC is already more powerful than a PS4.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I can see the logic in saying this seeing as the PS4 as an integrated system would be potentially more powerful for a few years anyway. Yes there will be PC setups out there that theoretically smoke the specs of the PS4 now, but they would cost an absolute fortune. Also, developing for a system with a dedicated setup should be easier to optimise etc.

There are games coming out for the PS3 this year that look amazing and give the PC setup a run for their money as it is.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Jumpin said:

This.

Jumpin said:

This confidence is praise-worthy even before console's launch.

GameAnalyser said:

What makes PS4 unique is its integrated GDDR5 for both CPU and GPGPU. The real milestone PCs have to reach  or work around before they can actually outsmart PS4 with their OS Kernel limits. It should take a year or two.

AMD has been pushing for HSA design for a couple years now, and their next gen Kaveri APUs that are due this year will aparently offer a GDDR5 Bus so system builders will be able to do that in low end PCs and laptops by the time PS4. And unified GDDR5 isn't really an ideal situation for many workloads as GDDR5 has higher latency than DDR3 which will hurt performance. And is very much not ideal in the PC space as  it must be soldered onto the motherboard which means it is not upgradable. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
zarx said:
GameAnalyser said:

What makes PS4 unique is its integrated GDDR5 for both CPU and GPGPU. The real milestone PCs have to reach  or work around before they can actually outsmart PS4 with their OS Kernel limits. It should take a year or two.

AMD has been pushing for HSA design for a couple years now, and their next gen Kaveri APUs that are due this year will aparently offer a GDDR5 Bus so system builders will be able to do that in low end PCs and laptops by the time PS4. And unified GDDR5 isn't really an ideal situation for many workloads as GDDR5 has higher latency than DDR3 which will hurt performance. And is very much not ideal in the PC space as  it must be soldered onto the motherboard which means it is not upgradable. 

Like I said, maybe it's going to be a year when low to mid range PCs will have mastered the PS4 architecture. Right now GDDR5 8 GB is ideal for next gen console games unlike PCs with Kernel limit and higher latency in comparison without unified GDDR5.

If by "most PCs" he is including the one my parents use, yes, he's right.

If by "most PCs" he means "most PCs people play video games on," he's probably already wrong. Even my flat-broke gaming friends have PCs on par with the PS4's specs.

oldschoolfool said:
disolitude said:
Yeah...call me when PS4 has the flexibility of multi monitor support, 4K screen support, legacy game support for more than 6 years back or does true 120 FPS twitch gaming. Even standard 60 FPS across the board would make me give PS4 a standing ovation...

Before everyone jumps down my throat, here is what last years PC tech can do - http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/extremewindows/archive/2013/02/22/quick-look-directx-11-gaming-in-4k-on-windows-8.aspx

If you really think PS4 or 720 will be able to compete with this...B.E.L.I.E.V.E.

I'm no expert at all,in anything pc and I agree with what your saying,but what average consumer has a set up like that? That video was pretty cool 

Question is are we talking about an average consumer, average gamer or average PC gamer?

Average consumer -not a chance in hell

Average gamer - probably not

But and average PC gamer probably already has more flexibility, options and "powah" than consoles will provide. One can build a fairly competent gaming PC for 600 bucks if they look around, that will support multiple displays, higher frame rates than consoles and a slew of legacy games and accessories.

The thing is, as similar PCs and consoles are becoming under the hood, they will always be different at the core of the business model. Consoles are usually built on a business model where they lock the consumer in to buying games from dedicated sources (retail, digital store) by making them the only content playable on that device.

PCs offer the freedom of tapping in to emulators, back catalogues, various digital stores, retail...etc. With that comes then freedom of being able to use any controller you want and setup your rig/displays as you like...etc

So even if PS4 is more powerful than a PC, its built on a model that limits the user to consume content and features from a closed ecosystem. Therefore a game console will never be as "powerful" as a PC...unless Steambox changes everything.

the_dengle said:

If by "most PCs" he is including the one my parents use, yes, he's right.

If by "most PCs" he means "most PCs people play video games on," he's probably already wrong. Even my flat-broke gaming friends have PCs on par with the PS4's specs.

Nope... see the Steam stats... the top GPU that can outpower the PS4 are used for less than 2% of the gamer Steam community... the shit Intel GMA3000 is used by 4% of the gamer (the top used GPU).

This is nonsensical PR bait and like good little forum dwellers, you guys are feasting on it as if it means anything.

Anyone that actually cares about PC gaming will have a machine that matches or outclasses the PS4, etc., by middle of next year if they don't already have one--playing semantic games about how Mom has a cheap Dell that plays Flash games (the "majority") is *meaningless*, and everyone here knows it.

(You know a lot of PC gamers playing on integrated graphics that take gaming remotely seriously? No, you don't. It's also far more than the "1%" some of you are throwing around like it's reality.)

A high end gaming rig *right now* will *crush* a PS4, simply because the frame rates, etc., it pulls at the same res will be substantially higher (PS4 games will target 30fps...horray?)--by the middle of next year most mid-range GPUs will be smoking the PS4, and by end of next year the PS4 will be back where the PS360 are right now against mid-range PCs. (And no, it won't cost you more than $1000 to build a machine that crushes a PS4 by end of next year...seriously, get a grip.)

So, please, really, let it go--just be happy Sony built a nice machine that will play host to some great games, but a console will *never*, ever, be able to keep up with the advance of even mid-tier technology, even for 6-months. This is just common sense that most of you have flung out the window in an orgy of "yay PS4!"