By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ‘PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come’ – Avalanche Studios CTO

ethomaz said:
the_dengle said:

If by "most PCs" he is including the one my parents use, yes, he's right.

If by "most PCs" he means "most PCs people play video games on," he's probably already wrong. Even my flat-broke gaming friends have PCs on par with the PS4's specs.

Nope... see the Steam stats... the top GPU that can outpower the PS4 are used for less than 2% of the gamer Steam community... the shit Intel GMA3000 is used by 4% of the gamer (the top used GPU).

I guess my friends just really don't like having money then. (Not being sarcastic or anything.)

Still, I bet that number will be much higher by the time the PS4 is celebrating its first birthday.

Around the Network

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

The % usage of GPU that have power to outpower the PS4.

0.94% NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
0.52% ATI Radeon HD 7970

All combined:

the_dengle said:

I guess my friends just really don't like having money then. (Not being sarcastic or anything.)

Still, I bet that number will be much higher by the time the PS4 is celebrating its first birthday.

No. Look at the stats: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Gamers uses low or mid GPU from previous generations (GTX 500/GTX 400 or HD 6000/HD 5000)... only over-entusiastic PC gamers buy GPUs over $200.

At the PS4 launch the gamer community is start the change from low/mid HD 6000 to low/mid HD 7000... and the high HD 7000 or the new HD 8000 will be reserved to entusiastic.

The future Steam Box is supposed to have a HD6670 (or HD7670).

ECM said:
This is nonsensical PR bait and like good little forum dwellers, you guys are feasting on it as if it means anything.

Anyone that actually cares about PC gaming will have a machine that matches or outclasses the PS4, etc., by middle of next year if they don't already have one--playing semantic games about how Mom has a cheap Dell that plays Flash games (the "majority") is *meaningless*, and everyone here knows it.

(You know a lot of PC gamers playing on integrated graphics that take gaming remotely seriously? No, you don't. It's also far more than the "1%" some of you are throwing around like it's reality.)

A high end gaming rig *right now* will *crush* a PS4, simply because the frame rates, etc., it pulls at the same res will be substantially higher (PS4 games will target 30fps...horray?)--by the middle of next year most mid-range GPUs will be smoking the PS4, and by end of next year the PS4 will be back where the PS360 are right now against mid-range PCs. (And no, it won't cost you more than $1000 to build a machine that crushes a PS4 by end of next year...seriously, get a grip.)

So, please, really, let it go--just be happy Sony built a nice machine that will play host to some great games, but a console will *never*, ever, be able to keep up with the advance of even mid-tier technology, even for 6-months. This is just common sense that most of you have flung out the window in an orgy of "yay PS4!"

yeah. well welcome to VGCHARTZ....is why i dont post much. PC and Steambox already and will be ahead of this shit anyhow. The hype is here because Sony are the "first" to announce why realism > gameplay mechanics for this generation.

KeptoKnight said:

yeah. well welcome to VGCHARTZ....is why i dont post much. PC and Steambox will be ahead of this shit anyhow. The hype is here because they are the "first" to announce realism > gameplay mechanics.

Again the Steam shows the opposite....

I guess the Steam Box will be a mid-end PC with a HD 6670 GPU... that will be better than 90% of the gamers PC.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
KeptoKnight said:

yeah. well welcome to VGCHARTZ....is why i dont post much. PC and Steambox will be ahead of this shit anyhow. The hype is here because they are the "first" to announce realism > gameplay mechanics.

Again the Steam shows the opposite....

I guess the Steam Box will be a mid-end PC with a HD 6670 GPU... that will be better than 90% of the gamers PC.

u guess?....I guess he also announced that there will be 3 sku's....casual, competitive and enthusiasts.

**if you want lets make a bet you ready?

I found a good article to guys here better understand the PC gamer hub.

Steam hardware survey suggests the average gaming PC is getting slightly slower

The Steam hardware survey is a rolling survey that continually polls a segment of the Steam audience to see what hardware is being used. Before we continue, it’s important to note that the data on display is affected by a bug that Valve introduced earlier this year that prevented new computers from being polled. The effect of this is that any changes appear to be suddenly introduced in April 2012, when the bug was fixed. The trends remain the same; it’s just they appear all of a sudden.

Here are the interesting data points.

The first: the rise of Intel Integrated Graphics. Traditionally, Intel’s integrated graphics aren’t suitable for gaming - but now 11% of computers polled by the Steam survey rely on them, from a rolling average of between 3% and 4%.

The second: the increasing volume of dual core processors: previously on the decline, from 48% of PCs polled, to 50%. Similarly, the percentage of computers using single core processors has increased from 5% to 7%.

Digging further into the numbers, the growth rate in GPUs is at the low end. The proportion of DirectX 11 GPUs increased only by .06% over the course of the survey. DirectX 10 GPUs increased by half a percentage point. But DirectX 9 level GPUs (including the various types of shader model) increased by 1.5%, making up nearly 20% of the total number of PCs polled.

Most interesting though, is combing through the resolutions Steam users use.

The most popular resolution, by far, is 1920x1080 - that makes up 25% of the Steam userbase. The second most popular resolution is 1366x768, at 18% of Steam computers. 1680x1050 follows at 10%, then 1600x900 at 7%.

Here’s what I think is going on: gamers are starting to install Steam onto their laptops.

It’s important to note that the bug mentioned earlier meant that new installs of Steam weren’t being properly polled by the Steam survey program. That meant that if, say, you’d installed Steam on your main PC a few years ago, but recently installed it on a laptop, that laptop may not have been checked.

But the data supports the hypothesis. A bit. The growth of dual core processors, integrated graphics, and DirectX 9 GPUs suggest that lower spec PCs are being added into the mix. The growth of the laptop friendly 1366x768 resolution suggests they’re portables.

What’s more, the big success story of the past two years of PC gaming is in the growth of smaller indie games that require a low end PC to run: think Dungeons of Dredmor, Super Meat Boy, Plants vs Zombies, Dungeon Defenders, Torchlight and Terraria. There’s the success too, of the Humble Indie bundles, which are mostly distributed as Steam keys.

Meanwhile, there are a number of publishers pursuing projects that work increasingly well on a laptop: think Civilization, Total War (Creative Assembly have put a lot of work in making the latest Total War games playable on laptops) and the monster that is Football Manager.

Put simply: there are lots of very good reasons to install Steam on your laptop.

There are a couple of other possibilities. The first is Steam’s growth outside of the West, where there might be many lower end PCs still in circulation. The data for the Windows language used doesn’t help here: the language use is mostly stable, with the only significant increase seen in PCs set to English.

The second is slightly oddball, but worth considering. I wonder if the incredible success of Minecraft might have a minor influence on PC gaming in general. Minecraft doesn’t need a high-end PC to run at all - it’s the kind of game you install on an older PC or laptop which you then hand it over to your younger brother or sister. I’d love for this to be true - it would mean that there’s a whole new generation of PC gamers growing up, and they’re gradually being introduced to the PC’s amazing back catalogue via Steam.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-hardware-survey-suggests-average-gaming-pc-getting-slightly-slower

KeptoKnight said:

u guess?....I guess he also announced that there will be 3 sku's....casual, competitive and enthusiasts.

lol so you have to be prepared to be disappointed with Steam Box .

ethomaz said:
KeptoKnight said:

lol so you have to be prepared to be disappointed with Steam Box .

i asked you a question.....were placing a bet......

KeptoKnight said:

i asked you a question.....were placing a bet......

No because you don't know what you are talking.