By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The bans in Jaywood's thread are laudable

PlaystaionGamer said:
kain_kusanagi said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
well obviously, its an xbox thread so Sony fans say stupid things and get banned. in the Ps threads Ms fans run riot and no one get banned lol this was obviously going to happen.

also anyone wanting proof of this go to: Forums > Sony Discussion > any thread

So I clicked on the first two top threads in the Forums > Sony Discussion

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=156778

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=156797

Anyone you might label as a MS fan seems to be pretty civil, on topic, and even friendly. BTW, that second link is to a parody thread designed to make fun of Jaywood's thread. The MS fans in it just seem to be disapointed in the thread's purpose, but they don't seem to be irate about it.

i was obviously just stating it happens alot in sony threads and despite reporting nothing happens. 

but tbh pal you need to get a hobby or something.. like... who really has time for doing this? arnt you on your 30's? jezzz 

talking about stricter mods: I would ban you for 2 days for insulting other community members.

He proved you wrong by posting examples that contradict your post and you are like 'Get a life!!!!111'.
You know how bad this makes you look?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
pezus said:
Mnementh said:
pezus said:

Basically this means that, for example, posts saying PS Plus isn't worth it are bannable. Or the eventual "PS4 is too expensive for what it offers"

There might be a difference between "PS4 is too expensive for what it offers" (your example) and "Who is so stupid to pay that much for this piece of crap".

Yes, there is. However, people were getting banned for only mentioning that they wouldn't pay for XBL and for saying it shouldn't cost money. I didn't really see anyone calling XBL crap.

That's right, but as I said in other post: the context make it bad. Would these posts had been made in a thread asking about opinions about XBL or in a thread there the OP states his opinion, then they would have been fine. But they were made in a thread that had the only purpose to help users of XBL or possible users of XBL. That makes them really bad.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
theprof00 said:

You say I'm escalating? What do you think brought me here in the first place? I don't report. Maybe once a month. Or a very clear violation. Now we're seeing bans left and right for minor infractions. I want something done, and this is the only thing that makes sense to me. You have a better solution? Be my guest and offer it.

Minor infractions? Do we talk about the JayWood-thread? I saw people destroying a thread that wanted to notice interested VGC-users about a great deal for XBL. I think the ban-hammer would have been swung the same in a thread about a discount on PSV-memory-cards for users complaining that even now it is more expensive than SD-cards or a thread about an offer of WiiU-bundled with 3 games for great price that users answers that WiiU has inferior graphics. Such posts are offtopic AND offending to the audience of the threads. But the same posts could be fine in a thread asking for opinions about XBL/PSV/WiiU or starting with a personal opinion about these things.

well, see, I see a lot worse, so in my mind, comparitively, these seem minor, but if these are just regular infractions, then that would mean the others are much worse than I thought, but nothing happens to them still, so however you want to quantify it, there are a lot of people getting away with so much. I'm for the mods sticking to their rules, so long as they stay fair. This thread is about making sure the mods understand that we want to see a level field from now on.

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:

I don't believe there is any argument I could make to sway the mods. Even Axum says he supports what I'm doing, signalling the very likely intransigence I'd find on that route.

But it's like I said earlier, the report button doesn't work for me, but it seems to work for others just fine. Like I said, I really only report blatant ones but nothing ever happens. I think that is my biggest beef at the moment, and why I want to do this.

Fine, just don't overdo it. As they say, what goes around comes around. (Meaning that you shouldn't be surprised if people start to watch your posts more closely now that you've decided to make bigger efforts to clean up.)

JayWood2010 said:

Personal opinion but I think you should become a moderator.  You seem to be very but you can also joke and have fun too

Thanks, but it's probably better if I remain a regular user. Also, I am very what?

It already came around, that's my point. It just keep coming around and never going. :D

axumblade said:
People seem to think we were banning people just because JayWood said that trolling wouldn't be tolerated. The reason people were banned is because he was talking about a sale on a service that he thought others would be interested in and all certain users wanted to do was write about how they disliked the service, which was derailing the topic and considered trolling because instead of adding to the conversation, they complained about it being a paid service. It's also spamming because it doesn't contribute to conversation either. And flaming because it creates arguments and discourse between users.

This is Truth!  Entering that thread I knew all along there would be 20  trolls derailing the thread saying LIVE sucks, it should be free, etc, and boy was I right.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
well obviously, its an xbox thread so Sony fans say stupid things and get banned. in the Ps threads Ms fans run riot and no one get banned lol this was obviously going to happen.

also anyone wanting proof of this go to: Forums > Sony Discussion > any thread

So I clicked on the first two top threads in the Forums > Sony Discussion

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=156778

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=156797

Anyone you might label as a MS fan seems to be pretty civil, on topic, and even friendly. BTW, that second link is to a parody thread designed to make fun of Jaywood's thread. The MS fans in it just seem to be disapointed in the thread's purpose, but they don't seem to be irate about it.

Agreed.

Akvod said:
You can't define trolling as whatever you want. It's very disturbing to see that an OP can define trolling as a negative opinion and that the moderating team would ban people for that.

But what's even more sadder is the thread. It should have been locked, and people should either have ignored it or called it out as a shit thread (a few people sort of did).

I mean, let's just taker a looser definition of trolling as "off topic". What exactly was the topic in the thread? What exactly was to be DISCUSSED in the thread?

Say for example that Microsoft permanently lowered LIVE's price. That's a news worthy story that has a lot of implication on Microsoft's business strategy and future actions. There's something to be talked about.

What exactly were people supposed to discuss here?

It's like you don't read. He stated what he wanted from the thread while helping people out.

If you tried to help someone out and they turned around and punched you in the nuts how would you feel?

theprof00 said:

Thank you mods, there are a lot of troublemakers out there, so thank you for clamping down.
I am very excited by this change of pace, though I just want to make sure you understand that saying "trolling will not be tolerated" in the OP doesn't make offenses 'more severe'. It should ALWAYS be like that. A thread does not require a disclaimer to make trolling actually trolling.

I will be keeping a much closer eye on the report button now that I know it actually does things.

Cheers

My friend got banned from a comment in that post that was agreeing with the OP and never said anything bad.  It doesn't seem like the mods are very evenly fair on this site as I see replies to other topics that are days old that I can't understand why they haven't been removed.

As long as this approach remains consistent, I am ok with it. But I am aware those who don't mind it now are going to have to deal with it later. Being negative hurts feeling one shouldn't have HAD about a company, product, people, it's not trolling.
No one makes more baiting, flaming, negative threads than  jay, yet he has an issue with the idea of it. Just going back to just the PS4 gone viral thread , I will be reporting a few for their NEGATIVITY.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
KylieDog said:
Seem to be some double standards by mods in that thread, Jaywood himself has called someone worthless as well as trashed XBL himself and called it worthless.

Yet he is not banned.

well, apparently he was warned for that.

Anyway, It's not the mods fault, there is a lot of pressure on them to take action against the ps fans.