By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you sacrifice one of the big 3 for Sega?

Would you?

Down with Nintendo! 57 9.55%

Down with Sony! 93 15.58%

Down with Microsoft! 266 44.56%

Sega stays 3rd party 99 16.58%

Down with Apple! (SR) 82 13.74%

Total:597
AbbathTheGrim said:
KungKras said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
KungKras said:
binary solo said:
sales2099 said:
Sony, because they killed Sega.

How did Sony kill sega?

Entering the market at the exact wrong time for Sega, while they had become vurnerable.

Moneyhatting devs to keep games off Saturn.

Announcing PS2 right before Dreamcast launch to try and kill momentum.

Yeah, Sony was brilliant.

About the bolded, I am not sure though. I recall Sony saying they never paid developers to stay exclusive. Can you provide links for proof?

If by brilliant, you mean unfair and evil. I guess Microsoft had been brilliant this generation though ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_Raider_II

End of the development history paragrapf.

I don't know, Sony is still in the game and in route to pass the Xbox while Sega was forced to become a third party developer. But Microsoft did great this generation, not to the extent Sony achived in previous generations though.

That is an example of a game kept from Sega by Sony by getting an exclusivity contract, if Wikipedia's info is accurate. What other games are there? Or was it that the lack of Tomb Raider killed Sega? That's some strong footing Sega had right there then.

What I meant was that if playing dirty is what you consider brilliant, then you must also consider Microsoft brilliant this gen.

Business wasn't covered as extensively back then as it is now. But since we have an example of Sony doing it once, it's likely they did it more than once.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:
binary solo said:
sales2099 said:

How did Sony kill sega?

1. Entering the market at the exact wrong time for Sega, while they had become vurnerable.

2. Moneyhatting devs to keep games off Saturn.

3. Announcing PS2 right before Dreamcast launch to try and kill momentum.

1. That's the best time for a new player to enter the market. Sega still had incumbancy which meant they werein the advantaged position, that they failed to deal with the newcomer is Sega's fault not Sony's.

2. When you're a new player you need to do something to get 3rd parties to put games on your system. That Sega wasn't in a financial position to counter Sony is Sega's fault not Sony's. I seem to recall MS moneyhatting the crap out of 3rd parties with Xbox, but that didn't cramp Sony's style, and Moneyhatting wasn't what caused Sony to almost fail with PS3.

3. Again, timing is everything to maintain momentum and success. If Sega was having a successful time with hardware a simple announcement from Sony about PS2 would have donelittle to slow down the momentum for Dreamcast. That Sega was so vulnerable that a mereannouncementof a console from Sony snet them into a tail spin form which they could not recover is Sega's fault not Sony's.

Conclusion: Sony didn't kill Sega, Sega killed Sega. Or rather Sega's inability to excite the market killed Sega.

Actually on second thought I wouldn't sacrifice anyone for Sega, because I like Sega games more than Nintendo games, so I'd rather have Sega continue to make games for the Playstation. Nintendo can carry on making hardware and keep its IP all to itself.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Kasz216 said:
No.

Why? We still get Sega games.

If Micorosft or Sony left the console market they'd probably just dump their software teams. (Well Microsofts would switch to PC.)

Meanwhile Nintendo probably wouldn't even exist without hardware.

I disagree, they areagaming company so they'd do just as Sega did.And do pretty well at that too I suspect, possibly better than Sega have done.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
KungKras said:
binary solo said:
sales2099 said:

How did Sony kill sega?

1. Entering the market at the exact wrong time for Sega, while they had become vurnerable.

1. That's the best time for a new player to enter the market. Sega still had incumbancy which meant they werein the advantaged position, that they failed to deal with the newcomer is Sega's fault not Sony's.

2. When you're a new player you need to do something to get 3rd parties to put games on your system. That Sega wasn't in a financial position to counter Sony is Sega's fault not Sony's. I seem to recall MS moneyhatting the crap out of 3rd parties with Xbox, but that didn't cramp Sony's style, and Moneyhatting wasn't what caused Sony to almost fail with PS3.

3. Again, timing is everything to maintain momentum and success. If Sega was having a successful time with hardware a simple announcement from Sony about PS2 would have donelittle to slow down the momentum for Dreamcast. That Sega was so vulnerable that a mereannouncementof a console from Sony snet them into a tail spin form which they could not recover is Sega's fault not Sony's.

Conclusion: Sony didn't kill Sega, Sega killed Sega. Or rather Sega's inability to excite the market killed Sega.

Actually on second thought I wouldn't sacrifice anyone for Sega, because I like Sega games more than Nintendo games, so I'd rather have Sega continue to make games for the Playstation. Nintendo can carry on making hardware and keep its IP all to itself.

I've been through this already.

Yes, Sega were the ones who put themselves into a vurnerable spot. HOWEVER, you really can't deny that Sony's entry into the market was a DISASTER for Sega from the PERSPECTIVE of Sega.

You also can't deny that with no Sony, Sega would have recovered from the mistakes that made them vurnerable.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
KungKras said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
KungKras said:
binary solo said:
sales2099 said:

How did Sony kill sega?

Entering the market at the exact wrong time for Sega, while they had become vurnerable.

Moneyhatting devs to keep games off Saturn.

Announcing PS2 right before Dreamcast launch to try and kill momentum.

Yeah, Sony was brilliant.

About the bolded, I am not sure though. I recall Sony saying they never paid developers to stay exclusive. Can you provide links for proof?

If by brilliant, you mean unfair and evil. I guess Microsoft had been brilliant this generation though ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_Raider_II

End of the development history paragrapf.

I don't know, Sony is still in the game and in route to pass the Xbox while Sega was forced to become a third party developer. But Microsoft did great this generation, not to the extent Sony achived in previous generations though.

That is an example of a game kept from Sega by Sony by getting an exclusivity contract, if Wikipedia's info is accurate. What other games are there? Or was it that the lack of Tomb Raider killed Sega? That's some strong footing Sega had right there then.

What I meant was that if playing dirty is what you consider brilliant, then you must also consider Microsoft brilliant this gen.

Business wasn't covered as extensively back then as it is now. But since we have an example of Sony doing it once, it's likely they did it more than once.

Actually I am not that concern about the "brilliant" calling back and forth. If you want me to say something about it, I guess I'll say MS was brilliant this gen, just less brilliant than Sony in the previous gens, taking what you said in consideration.

That doesn't work. You can't assure games where bought out of Sega if you don't have the info, like you had with Tomb Raider. You can't rely in your feelings and what you think happened if there isn't proof. As it stands now you could only say that Tomb Raider was an ace that helped Sony cement their advantage over Sega, I guess... But assuring that Sony bought games away from Sega is not something you can be certain, at best, you could consider the possibility but it can't be used as amo to state as a fact.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
KungKras said:
binary solo said:
KungKras said:
binary solo said:
sales2099 said:

How did Sony kill sega?

I've been through this already.

Yes, Sega were the ones who put themselves into a vurnerable spot. HOWEVER, you really can't deny that Sony's entry into the market was a DISASTER for Sega from the PERSPECTIVE of Sega.

You also can't deny that with no Sony, Sega would have recovered from the mistakes that made them vurnerable.

Yes, but it's emotionally overwrought, and inaccurate, to say Sony killed Sega. Seriously, are you going to begrudge Sony for all time for trying to make sure its console was a success? Is it such an outrage that Sony should think it can make a go of being a gaming console maker and give it a go, especially as they had gone a fair way down the road with Nintendo?

None of what you say can be made into Sony being at fault. If you can point to any instances where Sony used unethical business practices and those unethical practices directly contributed to Sega's poor console sales, then yes I'll accept Sony bears the stain of guilt for causing Sega's downfall. But so far all I've read is Sony engaging in business practice that is acceptable, and no, you can't say moneyhatting is unethical, because it's accepted practice in the business. Buying exclusivity happens in a lot more industries than gaming.

Sega fans, and Nintendo fans, need to get that gigantic Sony chip off their shoulders. You don't have to like Sony or Playstation, but you should stop with the unjustified blaming of them for the failings of your preferred console makers; unless you can provide an actual smoking gun.

If there's one thing Sony fans didn't do this generation it was try to blame someone else for PS3's difficult start. Quite the opposite really, they maintained faith that PS3 would do well enough in the end; and they were right. Sony fans can be criticised for a lot of things, but scapegoating isn't one of them; at least not in anything I've read.

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:

Yes, but it's emotionally overwrought, and inaccurate, to say Sony killed Sega. Seriously, are you going to begrudge Sony for all time for trying to make sure its console was a success? Is it such an outrage that Sony should think it can make a go of being a gaming console maker and give it a go, especially as they had gone a fair way down the road with Nintendo?

None of what you say can be made into Sony being at fault. If you can point to any instances where Sony used unethical business practices and those unethical practices directly contributed to Sega's poor console sales, then yes I'll accept Sony bears the stain of guilt for causing Sega's downfall. But so far all I've read is Sony engaging in business practice that is acceptable, and no, you can't say moneyhatting is unethical, because it's accepted practice in the business. Buying exclusivity happens in a lot more industries than gaming.

Sega fans, and Nintendo fans, need to get that gigantic Sony chip off their shoulders. You don't have to like Sony or Playstation, but you should stop with the unjustified blaming of them for the failings of your preferred console makers; unless you can provide an actual smoking gun.

If there's one thing Sony fans didn't do this generation it was try to blame someone else for PS3's difficult start. Quite the opposite really, they maintained faith that PS3 would do well enough in the end; and they were right. Sony fans can be criticised for a lot of things, but scapegoating isn't one of them; at least not in anything I've read.

I don't see how it's inaccurate. Sony entering the market was what became the final nail in Sega's coffin as a hardware maker. And I hate the direction that console gaming went while Sony was the market leader, so of course I am going to begrudge them for entering the market.

You just don't get it. Up until the PS3 failure, Nintendo was the only company left with the old-school philosophy of making consoles (and even the Gamecube was clearly influenced by the PS1 in design) and they were believed to also be going extinct as a hardware maker. And as long as there is two giant corporations like Microsoft and Sony in the market, Nintendo will always be vurnurable to war-of-attrition tactics. I don't want the kind of gaming I like to die out, so you can be damn sure I am going to be bitter about it.

Oh, and a lot of Sony fans complained about Microsoft's moneyhatting, I remember it clearly.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
binary solo said:

I don't see how it's inaccurate. Sony entering the market was what became the final nail in Sega's coffin as a hardware maker. And I hate the direction that console gaming went while Sony was the market leader, so of course I am going to begrudge them for entering the market.

You just don't get it. Up until the PS3 failure, Nintendo was the only company left with the old-school philosophy of making consoles (and even the Gamecube was clearly influenced by the PS1 in design) and they were believed to also be going extinct as a hardware maker. And as long as there is two giant corporations like Microsoft and Sony in the market, Nintendo will always be vurnurable to war-of-attrition tactics. I don't want the kind of gaming I like to die out, so you can be damn sure I am going to be bitter about it.

Oh, and a lot of Sony fans complained about Microsoft's moneyhatting, I remember it clearly.

Just get over it already. There's no denying we've seen brilliant games the last couple of generations without a Sega console, and at least up to now console gaming has done very well. For some people it's sad that Sega left the hardware business, but it's blind fanboyism to hold a grudge against Sony for something that Sega largely did to itself.

I never said Sony fans didn't complain about MS moneyhatting. I said Sony fans haven't bitched about MS or Nintendo being to blame for PS3's bad start. PS3 faltered, and MS and Nintendo capitalised on that stumble, well done them. Wii would have been very popular even if PS3 had got off to a much better start, Xbox 360 probably not so much.

I like how you characterise PS3 as a failure when it's outsold every Nintendo and Sega home console other than the Wii, and will probably outsell Xbox360 when all's said and done, making only Wii and PS1/2 as home consoles that have sold better than PS3; and outselling Wii isn't entirely out of the question. PS3 had it's failings, especially early on, but it's far from being a failure. If PS3 was a true failure we wouldn't be getting a PS4.

Jimi Hendrix

i would sacrifice Microsoft

...i don't even need Sega back

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

binary solo said:
KungKras said:

Just get over it already. There's no denying we've seen brilliant games the last couple of generations without a Sega console, and at least up to now console gaming has done very well. For some people it's sad that Sega left the hardware business, but it's blind fanboyism to hold a grudge against Sony for something that Sega largely did to itself.

I never said Sony fans didn't complain about MS moneyhatting. I said Sony fans haven't bitched about MS or Nintendo being to blame for PS3's bad start. PS3 faltered, and MS and Nintendo capitalised on that stumble, well done them. Wii would have been very popular even if PS3 had got off to a much better start, Xbox 360 probably not so much.

I like how you characterise PS3 as a failure when it's outsold every Nintendo and Sega home console other than the Wii, and will probably outsell Xbox360 when all's said and done, making only Wii and PS1/2 as home consoles that have sold better than PS3; and outselling Wii isn't entirely out of the question. PS3 had it's failings, especially early on, but it's far from being a failure. If PS3 was a true failure we wouldn't be getting a PS4.

The moment my type of gaming and my type of consoles isn't endangered is the moment I'll stop holding a grudge.

I define failure as "not achieving what you intended to achieve by doing certain actions", and sony obviously intended to make back the money they spent on the PS3.

I LOVE ICELAND!