By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you sacrifice one of the big 3 for Sega?

Would you?

Down with Nintendo! 57 9.55%

Down with Sony! 93 15.58%

Down with Microsoft! 266 44.56%

Sega stays 3rd party 99 16.58%

Down with Apple! (SR) 82 13.74%

Total:597
KungKras said:
binary solo said:

Yes, but it's emotionally overwrought, and inaccurate, to say Sony killed Sega. Seriously, are you going to begrudge Sony for all time for trying to make sure its console was a success? Is it such an outrage that Sony should think it can make a go of being a gaming console maker and give it a go, especially as they had gone a fair way down the road with Nintendo?

None of what you say can be made into Sony being at fault. If you can point to any instances where Sony used unethical business practices and those unethical practices directly contributed to Sega's poor console sales, then yes I'll accept Sony bears the stain of guilt for causing Sega's downfall. But so far all I've read is Sony engaging in business practice that is acceptable, and no, you can't say moneyhatting is unethical, because it's accepted practice in the business. Buying exclusivity happens in a lot more industries than gaming.

Sega fans, and Nintendo fans, need to get that gigantic Sony chip off their shoulders. You don't have to like Sony or Playstation, but you should stop with the unjustified blaming of them for the failings of your preferred console makers; unless you can provide an actual smoking gun.

If there's one thing Sony fans didn't do this generation it was try to blame someone else for PS3's difficult start. Quite the opposite really, they maintained faith that PS3 would do well enough in the end; and they were right. Sony fans can be criticised for a lot of things, but scapegoating isn't one of them; at least not in anything I've read.

I don't see how it's inaccurate. Sony entering the market was what became the final nail in Sega's coffin as a hardware maker. And I hate the direction that console gaming went while Sony was the market leader, so of course I am going to begrudge them for entering the market.

You just don't get it. Up until the PS3 failure, Nintendo was the only company left with the old-school philosophy of making consoles (and even the Gamecube was clearly influenced by the PS1 in design) and they were believed to also be going extinct as a hardware maker. And as long as there is two giant corporations like Microsoft and Sony in the market, Nintendo will always be vurnurable to war-of-attrition tactics. I don't want the kind of gaming I like to die out, so you can be damn sure I am going to be bitter about it.

Oh, and a lot of Sony fans complained about Microsoft's moneyhatting, I remember it clearly.

quoted for truth

Around the Network

SEGA had highly talented studios, i wouldnt mind if they were magically brought back to bussines as originally were...

Kyuu said:
Ronster316 said:
I would take Shenmue 3 over ANYTHING that sony and microsoft are churning out.

Sega has turned into a bad company. I wouldn't trust they'd make Shenmue nearly as revolutionary as it was.

But isn't Yakuza basically a reskinned Shenmue, and a good game series?

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
Kyuu said:
Ronster316 said:
I would take Shenmue 3 over ANYTHING that sony and microsoft are churning out.

Sega has turned into a bad company. I wouldn't trust they'd make Shenmue nearly as revolutionary as it was.

But isn't Yakuza basically a reskinned Shenmue, and a good game series?

Quoting you both to save time.............

SEGA may not be the force they once were. but this gen i have highly enjoyed the likes of Virtua Tennis, Binary Domain, Virtua Fighter 5 & Sonic Generations.

Also, SEGA's fortunes have taken a turn for the better in the last 18 months or so (hey, they even went out and bought Relic for $26 million, hardly the actions of a company on its last legs)

About Yakuza? For me Yakuza does not have the same heart and soul as Shenmue has.

Also, Both Shenmue 1&2 rated much higher than any of the Yakuza's thus far.

Yu Suzuki has nothing to do with Yakuza (and with him been the father of Shenmue, it's HIS vision, his game)

I wanted to vote MS, but then I realized that I'd rather have SEGA stay 3rd party since they'd bankrupt themselves going back to hardware.

Around the Network

Seems MS did a lot of things right when looking at some posts here :) I like Sega since ever - had a Master System, a Mega Drive and a Saturn but they failed sadly because they had less money than the competition. I don't want them to be exchanged but that they would make games like they did. New Vitrua Fighter, a new Daytoooooonaaaa! and a new platformer with Alex Kidd!

not one interresting console game from nintendo or ms in the past 12 month for me.
my wii and 360 playing"dustcatcher" in the attic-wii in the lead.

but i would not sacrifice them for sega as sega is either making crap(execpt sonic racer) or they make one shen mue-like yakuza after another without even considering to make another shen mue.
no reason to sacrifice sega for a lesser evil.

ryuzaki57 said:
I would kill off Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple and make sure Sega stays 3rd party so that Sony systems can rule the world.

You do relize that any company without competition starts to suck right? Take EA for example. They don't even try to make good sports games any more but since they are the only company that can make sports games with the NFL liscens. People buy Madden every year because their is no other good football game

DOWN WITH SONY!