By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR: Activision Upset at Black Ops II Wii U Sales, Says Nintendo Fans Are All Talk

DevilRising said:

@ShadowMarshal

Um....no offense, genuinely....but I really feel compelled to ask. Where the hell do you get your data?

Let's take a look, shall we?

Mario, on the whole, meaning ALL Mario games, by far have sold more than anything else on the planet, with over 440 million copies sold to date.

The Super Mario franchise, meaning the main platforming games, is THE biggest selling game franchise in history, with over 275 million sold.

From there it goes:

Pokemon - Over 219 million sold.

"Wii" (Sports, Fit, etc) - Over 190 million sold.

The Sims - 150 million sold.

Grand Theft Auto - 125 million sold.

Tetris - 125 million sold.

FIFA - 105 million sold.

Final Fantasy - Over 102 million sold.

And THEN Need for Speed and Call of Duty, both at roughly 100 million.

So, you're making one of two mistakes in your statement. You're either A) falsely assuming that Call of Duty is "the biggest selling gaming franchise of all time", when in fact it's not even close, OR B) you for some reason meant to insenuate that the ACTUAL biggest selling game franchise of all time, Super Mario (which tops CoD by almost 3x as much), didn't sell well on Wii U, which would STILL miss the mark, considering that NSMB U sold about 1.5 million copies on a system that has thus far sold only somewhere over 3 million units. I'd call that selling pretty damn well. So either way, I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

I think he was referring this gen.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Barozi said:

Not really there are more levels with framerate problems. It dips frequently to something in the 30s.

Technically it's definitely an inferior version.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

A framerate in the thirties is perfectly playable, it doesn't become a problem until it frequently drops into the low twenties and below.

And I'll take pointer and gamepad control over such differences, so I'd still call the U version superior.

No, a framerate going frequently from 60 to 30 and back to 60 is a very noticable problem.
Obviously it's still playable, but worse than a consistent framerate even if it was locked at 30FPS.

d21lewis said:
I bought Black Ops 2 for Wii U on launch date and believe me, NOBODY on Wii U is "all talk" because nobody has a headset.

But yeah, it's sad. Nintendo owners beg for the big games and when developers give it to us, we (well, not me) don't buy. I was actually pretty shocked to see how Resident Evil Revelations sold on 3DS. Great game with full features on a console with a great install base. Superb graphics and fantastic reviews and....well, you get the idea.

I think there is a marked difference between I gamers on Nintendo consoles and other units.

And a smaller proportion want to play FPS games.  But they will play other types of games, like action/adventure/horror.  

(They also are too smart to buy eat annual iteration of sports games.)

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

d21lewis said:
I bought Black Ops 2 for Wii U on launch date and believe me, NOBODY on Wii U is "all talk" because nobody has a headset.

I cannot let this great post go unobserved.  Thanks for the laugh :P

Nintendo is partly to blame because their advertising is shit. If this was Sony or especially M$ launching a new console, that BLOPSII ad with all the celebrities that was on every TV channel for like a month would have had it's own "next gen" version showing off all the new or extra features exclusive to their new console, to try and convince as many PS360 gamers as possible to make the switch.

As it stands, I'm pretty sure that 99% of COD fans either didn't know or didn't care that Wii U was getting a version of BLOPSII, especially considering the fact that the Wii U version wasn't officially announced until Nintendo's September press conference... nearly 4 months AFTER the game had already been unveiled for PS360/PC and preorders had already been started by GameStop and other retailers back in May.

Nintendo effed up the Wii U's launch in so many ways that it's almost unbelievable, from their lackluster E3 conference, to waiting until just TWO MONTHS before to announce an official release date and price which killed pretty much any hype for the console, and then on top of all that the total lack of advertising on Nintendo's part is completely baffling to me. I have seen just one commercial for the Wii U or its games so far, and that was during launch week. You have got to be kidding me. It's like Nintendo hasn't learned a damn thing from previous experiences and expects their systems and games to sell themselves by word of mouth the way the Wii did for the first couple years of its life.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Dodece said:
[Wii U could sell 14 million units]

Hahahahahahaha. Sorry, couldn't make it past that part.

What an elegant proof of my point. Just remember that pride commeth before the fall.

Barozi said:
curl-6 said:
Barozi said:

Not really there are more levels with framerate problems. It dips frequently to something in the 30s.

A framerate in the thirties is perfectly playable, it doesn't become a problem until it frequently drops into the low twenties and below.

And I'll take pointer and gamepad control over such differences, so I'd still call the U version superior.

No, a framerate going frequently from 60 to 30 and back to 60 is a very noticable problem.
Obviously it's still playable, but worse than a consistent framerate even if it was locked at 30FPS.

Not as big a problem as the lack of either pointer or gamepad play.

If the next COD has both a PS3/360 and PS4/720 version the PS4/720 versions will do similar numbers as the Wii U. Most people play COD with mates. It's largely a social experience. So unless your mates all get a PS4/720 at launch hardly anyone will get that version. A huge reason I'm so addicted to COD is cause I enjoy chatting with my mates while playing a few rounds of SnD.  

curl-6 said:
Barozi said:
curl-6 said:
Barozi said:

Not as big a problem as the lack of either pointer or gamepad play.

which is A) subjective and B) has nothing to do with my initial point as I merely said that it's definitely inferior on a technical level.

Tbh I dont believe this rumor, I mean how much were they really hoping to sell???