By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Justice is served! MGR first week beat DmC first month!

Wright said:
pokoko said:
Halo4warduntodawn said:

What anime is you're sig from?

That's Misa from Kaichou wa Maid-sama! 

No, it's not! He's Yuri, from Vesperia, crossdressed!

You wish!

Around the Network

Either way, although it is flawed, I will support this game because I want more spin offs in the future. I would love it if he (Hideo) actually did a Rising game with Frank. That would be epic.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

skeezer said:
Can't believe Rising is seen as an outcast in the by some Metal Gear Fans. I'm happy to see that Rising did well, not only because I'm a huge Metal Gear fan but because it looks like a great game. Gonna purchase it this weekend.

Are you a Metal Gear fan that happens to like hack and slash games? Most people I speak to who dislike MGR hate hack and slash games. They like the stealth and slower pace in MGS. I happen to like both so combining MG and hack and slash is a dream come true for me.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

It's so sad, DMC is a great game if only people could look past it's revamped character design. Now it wont get a sequel cause of these stupid people.

Even if you look at the "Angry Joe" review, the only flaw he gives it is that he hates the character design (not just looks but personality and script ect ect)

Justice? Both were mediocre. MGR just makes me wish i was playing Bayonetta.

Also pretty sure MGS is a bigger franchise.

Around the Network
Panama said:
Justice? Both were mediocre. MGR just makes me wish i was playing Bayonetta.

Also pretty sure MGS is a bigger franchise.

are you a fan of Metal Gear series? 

Wow, not commented on vgchartz in what seems like years.

OT: When trying to analyse these games, it is not as simple as, "the white hair" and "its a hack and slash not stealth" argument. There are many variables which have affected both games in terms of success and failure:

DMC:

1) NT trash talking
2) changing the characters
3) changing the history and canon
4) Trying to convince die hard veterans of the game who have been playing it for over a decade it plays the same when it doesn't.
5) Making a good game, but a bad DMC game
6) Inferior hack and slash
7) shit which was free is now dlc and some of it must be paid for

On a positive:

1) No back tracking
2) funky level design
3) funky art style
4) evidence that it is possible to make a DMC game without back tracking

On another note, you must also consider the following:

- Crapcom cut corners when making DMC4 and this had an affect on DmC sales.
- Crapcom refused to learn from mistakes made during DMC2 and DMC4 and instead of sorting these things out, they chose to go down a different path all together which was to wipeout the current DMC fanbase and to split what remains between those willing to try a new DMC and NT fans. Considering how small the NT fanbase is, it was a stupid mistake.
- Talking crap to veteran DMC players didnt go down well either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MGR

1) troubled production from day 1
2) almost cancelled until PG stepped in
3) smaller budget to create the game as a large amount of it must have already been spent before it went to PG
4) Core MGS fans avoiding it like the plague as it not being stealth
5) Core MGS fans avoiding it as it is a spin off, but treating it as if it is a reboot
6) game itself is short
7) not the best visuals compared to other games in the genre

On a positive note:

1) hack and slash mechanics are masterful
2) gameplay is amazing
3) although short, the game is fun enough to warrant several playthroughs
4) The dynamic level design by NT pales in comparison to the dynamic levels and sections in MGR and the game manages to do it all whilst running at 60fps
5) tons of content to go through and unlock especially if you are into MG canon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end, I blame Crapcom. They could have handled this whole DmC fiasco so much better by saying the following simple words:

"we have chosen to create a DMC set in an alternative universe which will take a different approach to gameplay and story whilst we continue to run the original DMC parallel to this. The purpose of this new DmC is not to replace the original, but to allow fans to explore an alternative vision and have the option to enjoy both."

This would have guaranteed more sales for the game and not caused the huge shit storm it has.

Alternatively, they could have given the money and contract to Vigil or PG, 2 studios who would have done a better job at making a new DMC or a sequel, but instead, they chose to pick one of the most hated developers this gen, followed by decision after decision to just anger people who have invested hundreds of pounds behind Crapcom by supporting previous DMC games.

As for MGR getting better sales, it hasnt sold anywhere near as well as a MGS game. MGS4 sold more on 1 console with a smaller user base than MGR has sold across 2 platforms with a much bigger install base.

I think MGR sales are more reflective of people who bought the game as pay back to Crapcom's DmC. Almost everyone I know who is a MGS fan hasn't bought the game as it is hack and slash. However, everyone I know who is pissed of at Crapcom for the DmC reboot has bought MGR; not only as revenge on Crapcom, but to acknowledge it as a true hack and slash game created by the father of DMC and possibly a spiritual successor to the original DMC.

Wright said:
Horrorfest said:
Is DMC over 4-5 hours? then it wins by default

While this is not the case (DmC is a great game, or so I have heard), just because a game is longer than other makes it better? Think about it.

As long as it's a quality game like DMC appears to be then yes. There is no excuse. No Metal Gear should be under 10 hours. 4 hours is pathetic. 

Horrorfest said:
Wright said:
Horrorfest said:
Is DMC over 4-5 hours? then it wins by default

While this is not the case (DmC is a great game, or so I have heard), just because a game is longer than other makes it better? Think about it.

As long as it's a quality game like DMC appears to be then yes. There is no excuse. No Metal Gear should be under 10 hours. 4 hours is pathetic. 

All Metal Gears are under 10 hours if you skip the cut scenes, MGS 1 can be finished in 4 hours.

Fei-Hung said:
Wow, not commented on vgchartz in what seems like years.

OT: When trying to analyse these games, it is not as simple as, "the white hair" and "its a hack and slash not stealth" argument. There are many variables which have affected both games in terms of success and failure:

DMC:

1) NT trash talking
2) changing the characters
3) changing the history and canon
4) Trying to convince die hard veterans of the game who have been playing it for over a decade it plays the same when it doesn't.
5) Making a good game, but a bad DMC game
6) Inferior hack and slash
7) shit which was free is now dlc and some of it must be paid for

On a positive:

1) No back tracking
2) funky level design
3) funky art style
4) evidence that it is possible to make a DMC game without back tracking

On another note, you must also consider the following:

- Crapcom cut corners when making DMC4 and this had an affect on DmC sales.
- Crapcom refused to learn from mistakes made during DMC2 and DMC4 and instead of sorting these things out, they chose to go down a different path all together which was to wipeout the current DMC fanbase and to split what remains between those willing to try a new DMC and NT fans. Considering how small the NT fanbase is, it was a stupid mistake.
- Talking crap to veteran DMC players didnt go down well either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MGR

1) troubled production from day 1
2) almost cancelled until PG stepped in
3) smaller budget to create the game as a large amount of it must have already been spent before it went to PG
4) Core MGS fans avoiding it like the plague as it not being stealth
5) Core MGS fans avoiding it as it is a spin off, but treating it as if it is a reboot
6) game itself is short
7) not the best visuals compared to other games in the genre

On a positive note:

1) hack and slash mechanics are masterful
2) gameplay is amazing
3) although short, the game is fun enough to warrant several playthroughs
4) The dynamic level design by NT pales in comparison to the dynamic levels and sections in MGR and the game manages to do it all whilst running at 60fps
5) tons of content to go through and unlock especially if you are into MG canon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end, I blame Crapcom. They could have handled this whole DmC fiasco so much better by saying the following simple words:

"we have chosen to create a DMC set in an alternative universe which will take a different approach to gameplay and story whilst we continue to run the original DMC parallel to this. The purpose of this new DmC is not to replace the original, but to allow fans to explore an alternative vision and have the option to enjoy both."

This would have guaranteed more sales for the game and not caused the huge shit storm it has.

Alternatively, they could have given the money and contract to Vigil or PG, 2 studios who would have done a better job at making a new DMC or a sequel, but instead, they chose to pick one of the most hated developers this gen, followed by decision after decision to just anger people who have invested hundreds of pounds behind Crapcom by supporting previous DMC games.

As for MGR getting better sales, it hasnt sold anywhere near as well as a MGS game. MGS4 sold more on 1 console with a smaller user base than MGR has sold across 2 platforms with a much bigger install base.

I think MGR sales are more reflective of people who bought the game as pay back to Crapcom's DmC. Almost everyone I know who is a MGS fan hasn't bought the game as it is hack and slash. However, everyone I know who is pissed of at Crapcom for the DmC reboot has bought MGR; not only as revenge on Crapcom, but to acknowledge it as a true hack and slash game created by the father of DMC and possibly a spiritual successor to the original DMC.

It's no use to explain what's wrong with DmC they still think is about the hair also its not fair to compare MGR sales numbers to MGS, its a spin-off in a different genre, its more apropiate to compare it to Metal Gear Acid.