By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Justice is served! MGR first week beat DmC first month!

Strangely enough, after playing all-stars, I am very interested in trying out the new DmC. Dante just has too much style and swag on him. He oozes with badassery. I'll get the game promptly after finishing Dead Space.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
Weedlab said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Justice was not served. The great new story arch created by Ninja Theory might get cut short because dickhead fans refused to pay full price for the game and boycotted. The new storyline is ten times better than the old one. The game was sabotaged from the start. I've seen Revengeance and while its a great game it has the Platinum story archs which are practically a joke compared. Ninja Theory might not be anywhere near Platinum Games in gameplay but they dont need to be.

Well I agree with you on the quality of the game. I like the direction NT took the series story wise. It seemed pretty interesting and I get the sense Dante would be very mature in DmC2. Personally I didn't buy it yet due to the technical issues on the PS3. I'm waiting on a patch. I refuse to pay $60 for a game riddled with technical hiccups like framerate inconsistencies and massive screen tearing. But beyond that I enjoyed the story and look forward to the sequel (if it does materialize). If I had a gaming PC I would have purchased it sooner, however. Did you buy it?

The way the game has been selling it looks like there wont be a DMC 2. 

Areym said:
Strangely enough, after playing all-stars, I am very interested in trying out the new DmC. Dante just has too much style and swag on him. He oozes with badassery. I'll get the game promptly after finishing Dead Space.

The new Dante has a modern edge about him opposed to the old early 2000's Dante. He fits his time period better and can stand as now type character much better.

JustThatGamer said:
Rafux said:

I used to dislike short games until I played Vanquish, a mother fucking fun game, an experience so fun for me that I found myself just laughing whenever I dodged a missile with my AR mode, I replay it a lot and the experience and enjoyment it gave me was worth the money.

GTA4 and Final Fantasy 13 gave me like 50 hours, I was bored most of time on those games.

DmC also game me a lot of enjoyment but not by playing it but by seeing it bomb every week, not a bad game but still a casualised, dumbed down, Devil May Cry for the God of War audience.

It's true, quality > quantity. I'd rather have a  5- 15 hour game that's amazing 80-100% of the time vs. a 50+ hour game that are only great 40-60% of the time.

I know you hate DmC with a passion, but why? How can you possibly be bitter enough to actually find enjoyment in a franchise failing and a developer that could go under? It got great reviews, most people really like it so I don't see how your overwhelming hatred is justified even if you were a fan of previous DMC games.

And DmC nor God of War are games for casuals in the slightest, the correct word to describe them is accessible. They are easy to learn for casual gamers who just want to have fun and enjoy the story but once you put the difficulty up and bother to learn complex combos using your entire arsenal they become adequately challenging to master even for the vast majority of the most hardcore of gamers providing a perfect balance and thus reaching a far wider audience.

David Jaffe himself said that the ideology behind God of War was never to have an overly complex combat system like Eastern hack 'n slash games and make combat alone its main focus. It was to tell an amazing story, take the player on an epic & memorable journey through ancient Greece fighting mythological creatures and encountering renowned and legendary heroes, Gods  and Titans from Greek Mythology. It was also important to make the player feel like a total badass. Needless to say the formula worked flawlessly making God of War the bestselling, most critically acclaimed and most beloved franchise in the genre of all time by absolute light-years, in the last 8 years nothing has come close which is why so many other franchises have been inspired by it.

With the DmC reboot Capcom obviously wanted to attract people of the huge fan base GoW has and decided that by using a western developer and making a more accessible game then it would help the franchise become bigger and better than ever,  although DmC was very well-received it obviously didn't help grow the franchise. I can't say why because I have yet to buy and finish the game but you can hardly blame Capcom for trying to reinvent the series since DMC was in decline before Ninja Theory's DmC anyway.

And this entire MGR:R vs. DmC sales "Justice is served!" thing is pathetic, you play games to enjoy them not to look at estimated sales numbers and try to make the lesser selling game look insignificant just because you personally don't like it. 

I love God of War but not for its combat mechanics but for its grand epic cinematic adventure. There's so many reasons why the millions of fans like myself don't like DmC it will be a gigantic wall of text, is just makes me happy that fans banded together voted with their wallets and said "no Capcom, no".

And is justice because Platinum (former Clover) finally made a commercial hit beating even shooters like Aliens, Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3. Since DMC franchise is dead (thanks to NT and Capcom) and Bayonetta is Wii U exclusive (sorry I'll wait for nextbox or PS4) HnS fans didn't have nothing until MGR appeared and since its selling well Kojima its talking about a sequel already, HnS lives on.

ethomaz said:
That's not fair.

Gameplay in DMC seems better than Rising.

This.....I was surprised at how quick I went through DMC..really great and underrated game man...MGR is decent...but 

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Rafux said:

Real gaming won the battle of the hack and slash, thank you Platinum for giving us such awesome title and please keep making games that are just fun to play, no bullshit puzzles or backtracking, just a 6 hour rollercoster of fun badassery.

May Capcom see the light and hire you for DMC5.

The game sold because it has METAL GEAR on the box, not because its made by Platinum.

Rafux said:
JustThatGamer said:
Rafux said:

I used to dislike short games until I played Vanquish, a mother fucking fun game, an experience so fun for me that I found myself just laughing whenever I dodged a missile with my AR mode, I replay it a lot and the experience and enjoyment it gave me was worth the money.

GTA4 and Final Fantasy 13 gave me like 50 hours, I was bored most of time on those games.

DmC also game me a lot of enjoyment but not by playing it but by seeing it bomb every week, not a bad game but still a casualised, dumbed down, Devil May Cry for the God of War audience.

It's true, quality > quantity. I'd rather have a  5- 15 hour game that's amazing 80-100% of the time vs. a 50+ hour game that are only great 40-60% of the time.

I know you hate DmC with a passion, but why? How can you possibly be bitter enough to actually find enjoyment in a franchise failing and a developer that could go under? It got great reviews, most people really like it so I don't see how your overwhelming hatred is justified even if you were a fan of previous DMC games.

And DmC nor God of War are games for casuals in the slightest, the correct word to describe them is accessible. They are easy to learn for casual gamers who just want to have fun and enjoy the story but once you put the difficulty up and bother to learn complex combos using your entire arsenal they become adequately challenging to master even for the vast majority of the most hardcore of gamers providing a perfect balance and thus reaching a far wider audience.

David Jaffe himself said that the ideology behind God of War was never to have an overly complex combat system like Eastern hack 'n slash games and make combat alone its main focus. It was to tell an amazing story, take the player on an epic & memorable journey through ancient Greece fighting mythological creatures and encountering renowned and legendary heroes, Gods  and Titans from Greek Mythology. It was also important to make the player feel like a total badass. Needless to say the formula worked flawlessly making God of War the bestselling, most critically acclaimed and most beloved franchise in the genre of all time by absolute light-years, in the last 8 years nothing has come close which is why so many other franchises have been inspired by it.

With the DmC reboot Capcom obviously wanted to attract people of the huge fan base GoW has and decided that by using a western developer and making a more accessible game then it would help the franchise become bigger and better than ever,  although DmC was very well-received it obviously didn't help grow the franchise. I can't say why because I have yet to buy and finish the game but you can hardly blame Capcom for trying to reinvent the series since DMC was in decline before Ninja Theory's DmC anyway.

And this entire MGR:R vs. DmC sales "Justice is served!" thing is pathetic, you play games to enjoy them not to look at estimated sales numbers and try to make the lesser selling game look insignificant just because you personally don't like it. 

I love God of War but not for its combat mechanics but for its grand epic cinematic adventure. There's so many reasons why the millions of fans like myself don't like DmC it will be a gigantic wall of text, is just makes me happy that fans banded together voted with their wallets and said "no Capcom, no".

And is justice because Platinum (former Clover) finally made a commercial hit beating even shooters like Aliens, Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3. Since DMC franchise is dead (thanks to NT and Capcom) and Bayonetta is Wii U exclusive (sorry I'll wait for nextbox or PS4) HnS fans didn't have nothing until MGR appeared and since its selling well Kojima its talking about a sequel already, HnS lives on.

Stop deluding yourself that Platinum made a commercial hit. This game will attract only MGS fans and hack n slash fans, which are barely even a quarter of all the hack n slash fans out there and will not even outsell Bayonetta. Platinum is still a niche company that makes niche hack n slash titles. As great as their games are they might not leave their current status until next gen. They need to change the way they make their games to increase their status. Maybe Nintendo dollars will do the trick. What happened with DMC was not justice, the remake was just the medicine the franchise needed with a great storyline to boot. It's gameplay was probably the best gameplay Ninja Theory has ever made to date and would've only gotten better with time if the fans hadnt screwed the pooch for the rest of us.

Let's be honest DmC would have sold a lot better if it wasn't DMC. Although I enjoyed DmC I didn't get my Devil May Cry fix from it... it's a good game but just not really a Devil May Cry. Also if I didn't have a PC I wouldn't have bought the game period... it feels way too slow on the consoles.

Saintdante said:
Let's be honest DmC would have sold a lot better if it wasn't DMC. Although I enjoyed DmC I didn't get my Devil May Cry fix from it... it's a good game but just not really a Devil May Cry. Also if I didn't have a PC I wouldn't have bought the game period... it feels way too slow on the consoles.

No offense but when it comes to DMC PC is secondary. The best they could do for PC was bump it up to 60FPS and we've been playing DMC at 30 FPS since part four. PC standards aren't the standard for a hack n slash so saying it feels "slow" on consoles leaves very little base for comparison.

Rafux said:
BasilZero said:

Sorry but that difference isnt that huge...not brag worthy xD.

Devil May cry aint the same without this guy (even if he did make the disaster that is DMC2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideaki_Itsuno

Only reason(s) why MGR sold better than DMC was

1. DmC was developed by Ninja Theory (l0l) (the design goes well with this reason)
2. Metal Gear is a bigger series than Devil May Cry.

Not that huge? First week againts first MONTH. Kojima already talking about a sequel.

Kojima was talking about a sequel because he was happy with the designing of the game. The sales will tell whether it gets a sequel or not. No offense but Revengeance isnt the best it could be as an MG title, but rather as a side story made by Platinum Games. This is probably the weakest plot Kojima productions has ever put together in tandem with anyone.