By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official Retro Games Thread (was: Atarians and other retro gamers assemble!)

happydolphin said:
richardhutnik said:

I could argue that it seems today that there is a reduction of genres, and an increase blanding to the lowest common denominator, a mashing of things in the name of storytelling.  It has increasely become more of interactive fiction and adventures, with increased dexerity elements, or adventure being mashed with action, and things dumbed down to pulling levers in certain order or hunting the key card.  Action has assimilated adventure, outside of Indie stuff, and then you now see RPG also being assimilated.  The stat building element of RPGs has been getting into about everything at this point.

So, you come out with large scaled budget blanding of genres, that are supposed to appeal to everyone, in the name of adventure.

imho you're blaming the wrong culprit. It's not in the name of adventure more than it is in the name of mass-appeal.

Also, everything should come in its good dose. If all games were like King's Quest, we'd never have Zelda. Also, adventure doesn't nessecarily mean dumbed down. Zelda OoT is rift with adventure, yet is was not dumbed down. I think balance in all things is key and it's not because some games were dumbed down to fit a lucrative formula that gamers should be on a witchhunt for games that seek adventure as a nutrition for gamers.

Perspective.

I am not going to say that the adventure genre disappeared, or all of them have dumbed down puzzles, just the adventure genre vanished into action for the most part.  This alone isn't the issue.  The issue is large budgets resulting in a need to dumb things down to sell.  The issue, from a retro perspective, is a loss of established genres so people who like them are without them, not even really the fact that action has picked up elements from other genres.

As a retro gamer, and why I want retro gamer community to have a stronger voice and have a say into their genre being supported, I want to see the genres of the past still be viable and get served sufficiently.  Genres should die off and assimilated into some generic thing called "videogames", but stand out as sufficiently rich experiences for the fans.  I also hold hope for bonus points that newcomers can also be welcomed to.   I want more genres, not less.

I would also add now that the great blanding of things is happening more now than in the past, due to development costs going mad insane.

Around the Network

Represent.

Stinky said:
Represent.

So does your avatar

I start at Super Pong! (But I was very little)  But no, I didn't know Benjamin Franklin or remember the time before the wheel.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800 represent!

The 2600 and 5200 were the first consoles I ever played, both owned by my cousins, and then the 7800 became my first ever very own console.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

I still got the Ami 1200 but with a Motorola 68030 clocked at 50Mhz.

Other previous retro machines: Some 10 in 1 pong console, Intellivision, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200, PS1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast.

richardhutnik said:

I am not going to say that the adventure genre disappeared, or all of them have dumbed down puzzles, just the adventure genre vanished into action for the most part.  This alone isn't the issue.  The issue is large budgets resulting in a need to dumb things down to sell.  The issue, from a retro perspective, is a loss of established genres so people who like them are without them, not even really the fact that action has picked up elements from other genres.

As a retro gamer, and why I want retro gamer community to have a stronger voice and have a say into their genre being supported, I want to see the genres of the past still be viable and get served sufficiently.  Genres should die off and assimilated into some generic thing called "videogames", but stand out as sufficiently rich experiences for the fans.  I also hold hope for bonus points that newcomers can also be welcomed to.   I want more genres, not less.

I would also add now that the great blanding of things is happening more now than in the past, due to development costs going mad insane.

My point to gamerace was that retro gaming does not exclude the importance of adventure games and games where gameplay is not absolutely central to the entertainment of the game. The experience as a whole is a rich one. The examples I gave were king's quest and dragon's lair/space ace. There are many more.

The allergy some people have to adventure nowadays (given more modern trends) is due to a lack of perspective.

NightDragon83 said:

Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800 represent!

The 2600 and 5200 were the first consoles I ever played, both owned by my cousins, and then the 7800 became my first ever very own console.

I was very happy with my Atari 7800 even though my friends all had NES. When I finaly got an NES I think I apreatiated it more because I didn't take it's graphics for granted. The 7800 and it's wonky controller will always have a special place in my heart. I think I used it more for Atari 2600 games though. My friends and I would use it for Pong even when the SNES and Genesis were all the rage. Pong is timeless.

Saw this in the Game Shop (parody of Thirft Store) video:

YES! It is LittleBigPlanet for the NES!

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but my favourite of their games is Donkey Kong Country Returns. The Prime games were never my cup of tea.

...am I doing it right?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."